Looks like a Wirlwind with radial engines.... but.... it is an Alfa-Romeo (IMAM Ro.57 1/48)

Well, the Ro.57 was in fact builtby IMAM (Industrie Meccaniche Aeronautiche Meridionali) the aeronautical branch of Alfa Romeo: the famous Alfa Romeo logo is clearly visible on the propeller blades.

The story of this almost unknown italian warbird is very short and for those interested there is something available on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAM_Ro.57

Interesting characteristics were a very particular landing gear design and engine intruments positioned in two small panels mounted directly on the nacelles and visible from the cockpit.

The Special Hobby 1/48 kit is quite basic and a lot of work is needed to add details.

In this case I added scratchbuilt details in the cockpit and landing gear bays, cut flaps and tail control surfaces and re-built canopy with clear evergreen plastic sheet.

Camouflage is not very exiting, just the standard italian dark green and light gray ... anyway I tried to make it a bit more interesting with pre shading and pastels.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Enjoy the pictures.

Cheers

Andy

P1010259_zps8lmalacb.jpg

P1010257_zps9dorjdx6.jpg

P1010282_zpsdj5ckcbz.jpg

P1010283_zpsumwso8qe.jpg

P1010287_zpsubnohv7m.jpg

P1010289_zps3dfyyx3w.jpg

• Like 26

Very nice build. I like the weathering a lot. I am still before doing my Ro-57 :) (it is in the stash but in 1:72), so I was not studying this subject very much yet, however from I've read I would said that this is rather "bis" variant (np Ro-57 but Ro-57 bis) - with bomb racks, two more connons and dive brakes :).

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

That's a really nice model of an unusual subject. I'm off to see if there's a 1/72 kit available... :)

Yes, there are two 1/72 kits (Ro.57 and Ro.57 bis) both from Special Hobby. Have a look here: http://www.cmkkits.com/en/aircraft/index.php?fSort=3&fSeries=0&fScale=15&fNationality=89&fEra=6&fMaker=0&from=10

cheers