Liberator Mk.II AL550/M 159 Sqn, RAF, Salbani 1943- Conversion-Magna/Academy

NO WAY YOU"VE FINISHED THIS ALREADY!!!

I cant believe your progress on this T.O.T. Seems like just the other day you started the WIP thread, and now its finished

Beautiful work too. I need to get on with mine, a few things have distracted me

Bruce

Very nice conversion of early Liberator :) but I am very sorry about demolition of your "Vicky" Halifax for the BP turret :) as I noticed in build report...

BTW - the another Lib MK II - AL523 is badly written in the Polish history of WWII with the Gibraltar crash on 4th July 1943 with all passangers killed. Among them was there Polish prime minister - Gen. Sikorski. There are speculation about circustances - was it accident or an execution....Novertheless - I think there is no photo of AL 523 at all and it is no clear ifr she was silver or camoufaged. Have you any idea on her painting scheme, by chance?

BTW (2) I am preparing myself to build Liberator Mk I of CC. I hope to do this this year :). Any hints here? :)

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

EDIT

When I've wrote that I started to google if there is any new message on AL523 (I've done a search some years ago alredy) - and a big surprise - I found it was WHITE (overall)

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/dww/sikorski/Walker-Sikorski-accident-account.pdf

Edited by JWM

Thanks again everybody for your very kind words,

Ettienne- I do have at least one SAAF Lib planned,......I have to add to my South African collection don`t I! As for sleep,......oh yes,...far too much!

Bruce- Come on mate,.....I`ve been waiting for your Lib to come to life,.......it should be another cracker for the collection!

Pat- Here is a close up of Mabel;

DSCF5512_NEW_zpsreeisphf.jpg

J-W-, As far as I know this is the only picture that I know of showing Lib AL523 which unfortunately shows it following its tragic accident! The undersides are light and could be silver or Sky?:

AL523_zpscwba71ji.jpg

Could it have worn a scheme like this?;

AL512A_zpsf2xqezku.jpg

Thanks again to everybody,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

I absolutely love this one. :)

I've got a 'J' model, looking for a 'D', and plans to do them as US machines so as to give my fleet a bit of variety. But this B-24 looks so much more purposeful wearing a British cammo that I'm really really tempted to change my mind. Decisions decisions.......

Lovely work Tony

Cheers

Gaz

Cheers Fella`s,

Thanks for your kind comments,.....I`ve wanted to build an RAF Mk.II for some time now!

Nice to hear from you Bill,...sounds like you`ve been a busy bee,.......hope to see some models from you soon mate. The Corsair is going to start getting stuck together next week as most of the pre painting is done now! I`m getting into the Corsair zone by reading up on the type.

I absolutely love this one. :)

I've got a 'J' model, looking for a 'D', and plans to do them as US machines so as to give my fleet a bit of variety. But this B-24 looks so much more purposeful wearing a British cammo that I'm really really tempted to change my mind. Decisions decisions.......

Lovely work Tony

Cheers

Gaz

Thanks Gaz,.....if you want to do a USAAF Lib in this scheme, there were some early LB-30`s used by the USA in the RAF bomber scheme (with a huge stars and bars on the nose), two of which took the first US mission to Moscow and some Mk.II`s were also used by the USAAF in this scheme with a Martin twin Browning mid upper turret mounted in lieu of the British BP 4 gun turret.

Cheers again,

Tony

Nice photo I have never seen this one before. Can I ask where you got it? As for colour I would ask Matt Poole he might be able to help.

Which one Paul?

• Like 2

Thanks Tony, that's something I didn't know. I'll do some digging.

Cheers

Gaz

edit: Just found this, you weren't kidding about the size of the stars and bars were you !

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Consolidated-B-24-%28LB-30%29/2111434/L/

Hiya Gaz,

Here is one of the Libs that I mean, this one is an earlier LB-30 variant;

b24a-1.jpg.w560h349.jpg

and here is a Lib Mk.II seen in Java in 1942,

pic6.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot