Tamiya 1/35 Panther - Ausf.D - Sd.Kfz.171 - Update 14/03/17

PlaStix

On 3/14/2017 at 2:59 PM, wimbledon99 said:

Wow Stix!! I'd be put off that scheme with an airbrush, never mind a hairy one.

It looks brilliant and yet it's still to be completed!! :thumbsup: 

Thank you very much as always Nigel. I must admit I was daunted by the look of the camouflage scheme and wasn't really happy until I had toned it down. Under more weathering it should look more like I hope it will!

On 3/14/2017 at 4:34 PM, Bullbasket said:

Once all of that gear goes on, it'll be a very busy looking kitty. Cammo looks great.

Regards,

John.

Thank you very much John. I have some other bits and pieces that I will think about adding once the main build is complete. I need to find some photos of what, if any, stowage, etc. appeared on the back of these Panthers at the time and location. If I can I prefer them to look busy.

23 hours ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

What paint did you use for the Dark Yellow ?

Hi Panzer Vor. I use Humbrol's Matt Desert Yellow, number 93. It's starts to look how I want it to after it's had a thin wash if Revell's Gunship Grey all over, a targeted wash of Revell's Anthracite around and in any detail plus a dry-brushing of a lightened version of Humbrol 93. Hope that helps.

22 hours ago, longshanks said:

Cracking paint job! :clap2:

Kev

Thank you very much Kev.

22 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

This is going to be so good, :yahoo:

Thank you Julian! :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

All coming together very nicely.

Pete

Thank you very much too Pete!

20 hours ago, Hamden said:

One word STUNNING!

Roger

Thank you Roger! :cheers:

20 hours ago, sonofjim said:

Looks fantastic Stix . 

I really like the Camo and it just goes to show that when expertly done, brush painting is as good as an airbrush . And you have achieved a nice soft edge too most impressive sir ! 

You are too kind Jim, thank you. :blush:

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going Stix, now tell me, do you work for Tamiya on the side? :goodjob:

Thank you Ozzy. No, unfortunately not! That would be a great job to have though wouldn't it?....making up and painting all the new kits!!

18 hours ago, Carius said:

Wow, impressive camo work indeed :clap2:.

I like that a lot :popcorn:

Thank you very much too Carius! :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

NIce update...a lot of pieces to add...:popcorn:, cheers mate

Thank you very much Francis - and yes a few to add plus some others if I can find some suitable photos of stowage, etc. that appeared on these Panthers at that time.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to comment.

I have been adding some more weathering over the past few evenings but It's all fairly small scale at the moment and not worth any photos. Can't wait for the weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Thank you Ozzy. No, unfortunately not! That would be a great job to have though wouldn't it?....making up and painting all the new kits!!

Definitely!

Dunno how I missed so much progress......

Superb work all round. The camo scheme is, as others have said, something I'd be nervous of even with an airbrush! Using hairy sticks might seem the more difficult of the two, but if you consider all the masking required for air-brushing, and the extreme awkwardness of having to cut and mask all those details, etc, then the hairy sticks may actually be the best option!

I do have one query though. I agree that dry brushing over the camo has helped tone down the contrast, but it seems to my eyes (maybe it IS my eyes) that you've dry brushed over everything with something like the base dark yellow? So the dark green and red-brown have tiny tiny specks of dark yellow on them and this makes them look 'gritty'?? Would it not have been better to dry brush over the dark green with a slightly paler dark green and the red-brown with a slightly paler red-brown?

I ask this because I've wondered myself how to dry brush over camo patterns.

Having said that, I've found that since my return to modelling I very rarely dry brush my AFVs. Nowadays I just use washes, pin washes and weathering powders. I used to LOVE dry-brushing. I'm wondering why I've stopped doing it.

BTW, those tools look fantastic as well.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Lovely work Stix. It's a very complex but attractive scheme and looks no less good for having been brush painted. Something I used to give a soft edge before I used an AB was applying ground chalk pastel along edges as it gave a very 'feathered' edge.

I may have to get one of these if I can find it at a reasonable price.

Matt

• Like 1

On 3/15/2017 at 6:51 PM, Badder said:

Dunno how I missed so much progress......

Superb work all round. The camo scheme is, as others have said, something I'd be nervous of even with an airbrush! Using hairy sticks might seem the more difficult of the two, but if you consider all the masking required for air-brushing, and the extreme awkwardness of having to cut and mask all those details, etc, then the hairy sticks may actually be the best option!

I do have one query though. I agree that dry brushing over the camo has helped tone down the contrast, but it seems to my eyes (maybe it IS my eyes) that you've dry brushed over everything with something like the base dark yellow? So the dark green and red-brown have tiny tiny specks of dark yellow on them and this makes them look 'gritty'?? Would it not have been better to dry brush over the dark green with a slightly paler dark green and the red-brown with a slightly paler red-brown?

I ask this because I've wondered myself how to dry brush over camo patterns.

Having said that, I've found that since my return to modelling I very rarely dry brush my AFVs. Nowadays I just use washes, pin washes and weathering powders. I used to LOVE dry-brushing. I'm wondering why I've stopped doing it.

BTW, those tools look fantastic as well.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thank you for your comments Badder. With regards the dry-brushing; it's something I've done in this way on my 1/48 and 1/72 builds and it seems to look okay over the camo in that scale - perhaps it won't work as well in 1/35. You'll have to check out the RFI photos and let me know what you think.

On 3/15/2017 at 8:26 PM, Mattlow said:

Lovely work Stix. It's a very complex but attractive scheme and looks no less good for having been brush painted. Something I used to give a soft edge before I used an AB was applying ground chalk pastel along edges as it gave a very 'feathered' edge.

I may have to get one of these if I can find it at a reasonable price.

Matt

Hi Matt and thank you very much for your comments. Interesting idea about the chalk pastels - I will have an experiment! It is a nice kit to build if you get one.

Over the weekend I managed to get everything finished (except fitting the aerial - which I still need to do). The RFI photos can be found here:

Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment in this thread and I'm next going to be building a Mosquito down in the GB section.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 3/22/2017 at 6:13 AM, Ripaman said:

Wow that is one neck of a build Stix thanks for showing how to do. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard and thank you very much for your kind comments.

On 3/23/2017 at 0:48 PM, robw_uk said:

Stunning as always

Thank you Rob, most kind.

Just a couple of slightly edited photos here:

33379255262_bbba774b52_c.jpg

32692568754_4fe7dc3fcf_c.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roger and thank you for your very kind comments. When I get chance I still intend, as I usually do, to have a bit of a play around in Photoshop with the photos.

Kind regards,

Stix