The dreaded hot screwdriver blade!

AndyC

Hi all

I'm building the Tamiya Sd.Kfz 7/1 with the Flakvierling 38 mount on the rear...the link arm from the gunsight to the gun-mount is a simple rod which enables the guns to 'work'.

It calls for the ends to be flattened with a hot screwdriver blade - I can just see a disaster waiting to happen with this. Anyone have any recommended alternatives? Otherwise, I will have to have the guns at a fixed elevation and glue it in place

TIA

Try gluing a small metal washer at the end ? then trim to fit ?

When I built this kit I cut a piece of the sprue, the tab that has the part number on it, and glued it onto the end of the pin, then when dry I trimmed it down to be less obvious.

I would suggest it's easy enough to do over a flame from a lighter or stove, but speaking personally, I'd consider some Friul or similar metal links instead. A lot of work and expense, but I just like 'em :)

Glue them in place. There really isn't any need for them to move unless you're going to play with them (or need them to fit in a specific box for transport).

HTH
Andy

Edited by andym
  • Like 1

Play with? We wouldn't would we?

Dagger,dagger!

Edited by bzn20

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would make a small disc of sheet plastic, or a "salami" slice of sprue, drill a hole in the center the same size as the peg (you can use a fine drill bit, a jewellers screwdriver or the tip of a #11 x-acto blade) slide you washer into position , and use a tiny drop of liquid cement. You can sand to shape and paint when dry, and never worry about it coming apart.

Using pointed tweezers to hold everything, I've made washers down to .005 " thick, with a center hole of .013 " (#80 drill)

Have fun,

Colin

All brilliant suggestions guys. I've concluded that moving guns are an unnecessary (and breakable in the future) feature as I can't move, point and make realistic enough Flak 38 noises with one hand whilst holding an allied fighter-bomber with the other in simulation.

They will be glued in place! Also in a further nod to realism, I have purchased a set of brass replacement barrels and flash suppressors - very superior to the kit. n ow i just need to finish the kit!

Thanks all once again

• Like 1