Martin Baltimore, 1/48, Italian Cobelligerant Air Force

This is the one that Classic Airframes released few years ago. The only 1/48 kit available of this not-so-common medium bomber.

After being operated by RAF, as one could see by the Dark Earth/Middle Stone/Azure camouflage, a number of Baltimores (with some Spitfires MkIV and P-39 Airacobras) were passed to ICAF (Italian Cobelligerant Air Force) to be operated mainly on the Balkan front.

This happened after the armistice signed between Italy and Allies on September 8th 1943 and subsequent declaration of war against Germany (more a surrending rather than an armistice...).

IMG_2574_zpsruqwhlmo.jpg

IMG_2571_zpsbi0qnhwq.jpg

IMG_2569_zpswincqeb0.jpg

IMG_2567_zpsvnlyswf9.jpg

• Like 18

It is a very hard model to build and to be honest doesn`t do the old Baltimore justice in my view,........especially regarding the fuselage which is not deep enough and far too wide! I`ve built two of them and I can see how much effort you have put into yours,.....nice scheme too,

Cheers

Tony

Great job, haven't seen an aircraft from this era in the Italian airforce before.

I thought Contrail / Sutcliffe made a 1/48 Baltimore, I'm sure this one was a better one to build in any case.

I would love to know how the build went if you can let us know.

Cheers Pat

Yes, guys, it was not easy to assemble. I made it few years ago thus I cannot recall in detail all the issues I had during the construction. The interiors were really poor and the fitting was a problem indeed. Engines were not bad though. I immediately purchased it when it became available in the market just because I was more curious than fascinated by that plane. I have read that it was not easy to fly because of its small wing surface (Martin aircraft, such as the B-26, had this issue), and not particularly loved by the Italian crews... Thanks everybody for the kind words!

• Like 1

WOW !!! Thanks for building this kit. GREAT BUILD. You really brought back some memories for me. About 20 years ago I used to live in suburban Baltimore and every day I drove by the old Martin plant where this aircraft was built. One of my good friends was a riveter in that plant during WWII. He worked on the B-26 aircraft. Thanks for posting. Bob H.

• Like 1