Ferrari 156 F1 "Sharknose" 1961 (South Eastern Finecast 1/24)

Hello!

I show to you one of my last builds: the 1961 F1 World Champion, i.e the 156 Ferrari better known as "sharknose" .

After seven years with the 2500 cc atmospheric engines or 7,1961 was the first season with the new technical rules (1500 cc atmospheric engines), and the English teams (Cooper, Lotus, BRM) suffered the lack of a good engine for these new rules. Thus, Ferrari, that had already an excellent engine for the new formula (the 1500 cc Formula 2 V6 engine, named "Dino" as it was designed by the first Ferrari's son before dying by a muscular dystrophy) dominated the season. Phil Hill, Wolfgang Von Trips, Richie Ginther and Giancarlo Baghetti were the works drivers. At the end of the season, Phil Hill won the championship by winning the Italian GP in Monza, in the same day that Von Trips and 14 spectators died in a terrific crash.

The model was realized starting with a South Easten Finecast 1/24 white metal kit. The SEF kits are very old (mid '60s), but they are still produced in their original version, with no updating. Although the Sharknose is one of the most reproduced racing cars in all scales, when I purchased this kit some years ago, it was the only 1/24th model of this car available. Today, an excellent resin kit from Fernando Pinto, Portugal, is available. As I already had the SEF kit on my shelf, I decided to work with what I had...

This is the starting kit:

bepvit-boite-big.jpg?v=6bepvit-pieces-big.jpg?v=6

an extensive cutting-welding-puttying-panel lines scribing-riveting job was done on the body... the wheels were replaced by hand-laced spokes items by Fernando Pinto, the steering wheel is an aftermarket item from MG Model Plus, and the seat was covered with real tissue (silk taken from my wife's old trousers)... the exhausts were lenghtened, the shock absorbers were scratchbuilt and many other details were added,

This is the final result:

bepvit-final-1-big.jpgbepvit-final-2-big.jpgbepvit-final-3-big.jpgbepvit-final-4-big.jpgbepvit-final-5-big.jpgbepvit-final-6-big.jpgbepvit-final-9-big.jpg

Many thanks for your attention!

One more thing: the model reproduces the Belgian GP winner (Phil Hill)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...