Academy 1/48 MH-53E Sea Dragon

Probably one the best helicopter kit out there.

Great fit, nice details, impressive once build, Eduard Big Ed set is great and adds a lot of nice details on the inside and on the outside, a lot can be add with a bit of scratch build...

The only downside it's the lack of rivets on the fuselage...none! And the real machine is covered in rivets...I found out about aftermarket rivets only after I finished the build...

I have decided to go for the folded rotor option as the kit is already big. And with the blades open is something like 50cm diameter!

I used some wire to reinforce where the blade are attached to the mast as they are quiet big and heavy, something that I suggest to anyone that would like to build this kit in the same position...

P.s.: don't mind the crew chief heaving a break...

R3n2MWkh.jpg

fyBNudNh.jpg

53dqT2ph.jpg

K30afEuh.jpg

h0Q6yPmh.jpg

Cn70Wcgh.jpg

C0jktVEh.jpg

ROBpfgdh.jpg

QEzF5r3h.jpg

• Like 17

Hello,Yose75 - Congratulations on your very impressive build of the Sea Dragon.That's an appropriate name for the type because in my eyes she looks like a Monster from the Deep! That is one serious Helo.Very well done.All the best,Paul.

I have another one in my stash, the Japanese version one...I bit scare to start it as is completely white and is not easy (at least for me) to paint in white, especially in this scale. But I really love the marking though...

wlfwp14802_0.jpg

Edited by Yose75

I have another one in my stash, the Japanese version one...I bit scare to start it as is completely white and is not easy (at least for me) to paint in white, especially in this scale. But I really love the marking though...

wlfwp14802_0.jpg

I did a 1/72 one in Japanese markings does look nice and 1/48 would be stunning , but like you said its a lot of white!!!! the mr hobby gloss white is good I found covers bit better than Tamiya!!!

I did a 1/72 one in Japanese markings does look nice and 1/48 would be stunning , but like you said its a lot of white!!!! the mr hobby gloss white is good I found covers bit better than Tamiya!!!

I don't like Tamiya. I normally use Vallejo Model Air or the Mr Hobby. Thanks for the tip, I will remember it when I will decide to go for the build...