B-17C cockpit questions

ReccePhreak

I am finally getting around to starting on my Academy/Minicraft 1/72 B-17C, for our group's Pearl Harbor 75th Anniversary build.

I want to add a little detail to the interior, using plastic & stuff (No commercial aftermarket parts). I have already scratch-built the supercharger & intercooler intakes.

I am ready to start on the cockpit, but I am not sure if the B-17C actually had 4 seats or only 2. A google search wasn't very informative. Are they the same type of seats that were in the B-17G, with the same elaborate truss structure? Does anybody have any good photos, showing any other details in the cockpit, especially the sidewalls and the rear wall? One of the drawings I found online, which is said to show a B-17B, shows the cockpit floor as higher for the pilot & co-pilot, and lower behind them. Is that correct? I am also looking for detail in the nose compartment.

Are there any books that have the info I am looking for? Most of the details I have been able to find is only for the B-17G, and sometimes the B-17F.

Larry
lengesath(AT)cox(DOT)net

Larry,

A very good book for detailed description and good detail photos of all the versions, but especially the early versions, is Fortress in the Sky, by Peter M Bowers, published by Sentry Books.in 1976. You might be able to find a copy on A----n or that famous buying/selling site that begins with an E. Looking at the photos and description in my copy, there were no photos of a C cockpit, but a good one of the D. (The only major differences in the D from the C are the addition of engine cowl flaps and changing the dorsal and ventral single .50 cal guns to dual mounts.) The C's and D's did have four seats, with all four seats being at the same level; they all appear to have the pre-war yellow seat cushions that also were used as life preservers with US Air Corps stenciled on them. The seats do not have the exact same heavy truss framework as seen on the B-17E/F/G. The commander's observation blister, located on the roof behind the four seats, was mounted on the centerline on both the C's and D's, unlike the B-17B, which had it offset to the right of the centerline.

I have attached a link to a site that has a good cockpit photo of either a B-17C/D; scroll down to see the photo; it's about the best one I could find. Hopefully one of the Flying Fortress afficionados out there will be of more help!

MIke

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?80276-Boeing-B-17D-FSX