Hunter crashes at Shoreham

sinnerboy

Just watched the video and seen the pictures, truly a sad day and very unlucky to have come down exactly where it did, 50 yards further on and the outcome might have been very different. Earlier mention of the pilot having survived can't be true given that any ejection would have shown up on the video. I'm guessing here but surely the Hunter didn't have a seat allowing ejection at such low altitudes and the canopy is seen in place with pilot a fraction before impact. I can only assume the worst for him. As for that Daimler, I imagine that image will haunt a few Police officers too.

All very tragic.. :(

Well if I organised an event that killed a random 7 people I would expect uproar. 7 people dead. 7 people with probably zero interest in aviation or old aircraft. 7 people dead for random pleasure of others. The number of crashes recently clearly means it needs looking at.

Are you for real!

To suggest that people have been killed for the pleasure of others is an unbelievable statement to make.

You need to take a long hard look at what you are typing.

This has been a terrible accident that has shocked the whole country, as someone who has been first on the scene to a fatal crash during my time in the RAF, my thoughts are with all those involved, it's something you don't forget in a hurry.

The reason for the crash will be published in due time and we must respect this and not speculate on an open forum.

Airshows are some of the most regulated events in the world, but sadly no one can predict the future.

:poppy:

• Like 12

Well, this is a dark few months in British aviation, I do hope that the powers that be are not influenced by the safety warriors, airshows are a crucial part of our culture and to have anyone say that they should be limited or banned is unaware of the actual probability of such a crash from happening in any one year.

I am glad if the reports are right that the pilot has survived-my condolences to those bevereaved by this event. Also, if it is true, then I think it was an appropriate gesture for the vulcan to do a fly-over as a tribute but also that they should cancel the airshow.

To those health and safety freaks, at least be assured that the airshow has been cancelled for today-in regards to the Dh110 crash at Farnborough in 1952, they continued on with the show!

As I said previously, my condolences to those affected and the best of luck to the AIIB for an effective investigation which will determine the cause of this terrible crash.

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 2

Don't tell me to take a look at what I'm typing. Many crashes recently and by luck nobody killed until today. Maybe if everything a plane crashed at an airshow the same defensive attitude was not present and people seriously looked at the issues this would not have happened. It's not an accident it was bound to happen. Because people enjoy looking at old aircraft perform aerobatics 7 people died. Fact. In this thread people have said shame about loss of an old aircraft and i have to think before I type.

Don't tell me to take a look at what I'm typing. Many crashes recently and by luck nobody killed until today. Maybe if everything a plane crashed at an airshow the same defensive attitude was not present and people seriously looked at the issues this would not have happened. It's not an accident it was bound to happen. Because people enjoy looking at old aircraft perform aerobatics 7 people died. Fact. In this thread people have said shame about loss of an old aircraft and i have to think before I type.

I can understand your position-but you CANNOT say it was not an accident-no one plans such tragedies like this! You are right to say that it was bound to happen-that's the risk that pilots take every day-that is like saying that ships are inherently dangerous because they are bound to sink eventually.

In regards to others talking about the destruction of a vintage aircraft-you can sort of understand their position-although I would put more emphasis on the human tragedy.

While I understand your viewpoint, I must disagree with you.

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 1

So your an expert then...?

• Like 2

Bristol Blue

You REALLY, REALLY need to consider what how your messages are coming across more.

The major problem here is that words typed on a computer screen do not necessarily convey the same tone that the author had intended, but - having said that - your previous post seems to implying that people are more concerned about the Hunter's loss than the fact there were fatalities. I don't believe anyone has implied that here for a second.

To act in such an (apparently) angry and arrogant way in the face of seven people dying is both crass and extremely insensitive. The significance of the fatalities enormously outweighs anyone's opinion on this site.

It is far too early to engage in any speculation as to why the Hunter crashed. The official report will takes many months to produce.

Please consider your words a lot more carefully. This kind of exchange has lead to Mike closing threads down before now.

Chris.

• Like 6

I only just seen the vid on BBc News site....and that youtube uncensored reel....Terrible, made me feel ill.

I was wondering about the flaps being down (others have mentioned too) while doing a loop. Doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

I only just seen the vid on BBc News site....and that youtube uncensored reel....Terrible, made me feel ill.

I was wondering about the flaps being down (others have mentioned too) while doing a loop. Doesn't make sense.

My stomach turned too when I saw the un-edited clip, horrifying and it almost seemed as though he might have gotten away with it, it was near horizontal when it went down.

Sam

• Like 1

What an absolute tragedy and RIP to those who lost their lives. My thoughts are with the relatives and those who were injured, both physically and mentally by this incident.

From what I have seen it appears that the pilot makes a last minute `swerve', maybe to avoid hitting houses alongside the road? If so,..then the pilot was a very brave man. He could probably have easily banged out at altitude but he rode it into the ground.

I was at Barton when BAe`s Mosquito T.3 crashed killing both crew and it is something which you never forget! I remember willing the crew to pull out but knowing just what was going to happen,........it must be terrifying to be in an aircraft in this condition.

Tony

Looking from the pictures it is looping with the flaps extended. Is this normal?

I hope that all are ok

Rodders

Yes, it is quite common, quite normal. It allows tighter maneouvring at lower speeds. You will see that with many jets.

Dreadful accident - it looks from the video as though the pilot pulled up, did a wingover to port and rather too late realised he was lower than he intended/expected. The later pull is notably hard, aircraft mushing. The ground at that point is slightly higher than the airfield itself, so if he was looking into the field for reference, that might have caught him out. If so, it's a horribly easy error to make; my sympathies to the pilot and to all those affected. Yes, I know I'm guessing, but as a pilot - of much less experience and capability than this gentleman, admittedly - that's what it looks like.

The AAIB will tell us the story, eventually.

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Like 3

As an aviation enthusiast who used to work on this Hunter and a member of the emergency services this is touches me on so many different levels. I can only began to imagine what was going through the mind of the first officer on the scene. Hope they will be mentally strong enough to deal with what they saw

• Like 2

Ok - those involved in that little spat need to wind their necks in now. Any continuation of this behaviour will result in suspensions. Show some respect for those affected! :angry:

• Like 18

I saw it happen right in front of me. We were at the very far end of the airfield and it landed about 100 yards or so from us. It looked to me as if it stalled in the loop - strangely there was no roar of an engine from a pilot in trouble and it actually struck the ground in the field adjacent to the road slightly tail first, before careering over the A27 and into the scrub on the airfield boundary.

As you can imagine I was terribly shaken by the whole thing - you just don't expect that sort of thing to happen. I can't begin to imagine the pain of the families who've lost loved ones today. Many of the cars appeared stationary as they were queuing to get into the airshow.

It's just gone 8pm and we are still waiting on the airfield. There's a real air of calm amongst the many thousands of people still here. I think all are mindful of the terrible events we'd witnessed today and the tragic loss of life. Being delayed for a few hours suddenly seems rather insignificant.

I have numerous pictures of the loop and crash which I will be passing on to the AAIB, and out of respect will naturally not be posting here.

Quite a tragic day, and I just want to get home now!

Tom

• Like 15

Today happens to be the thirtieth anniversary of the Manchester Airport disaster that claimed 55 lives. The engine on a British Airtours 737 exploded during the take-off run and the victims were overcome by the smoke and flames.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34025944

As with everybody else here my thoughts are with the families of the victims of the air show crash.