Hunter crashes at Shoreham

sinnerboy

Well if I organised an event that killed a random 7 people I would expect uproar. 7 people dead. 7 people with probably zero interest in aviation or old aircraft. 7 people dead for random pleasure of others. The number of crashes recently clearly means it needs looking at.

• Like 2

BBC news reporting 7 fatalities:(

Having witnessed air show crashes, I can understand fully how those who witnessed this today must be feeling. My thoughts and condolences are with those involved today

I can only imagine Jasman, it's bad enough just being an enthusiast. It must have been an awful experience. I am certain that some of our own from this site would have been attending today.

Things like this bring back the memories of the Sknyliv air show disaster, and some people will refer to that, and Ramstein and the Reno one in 2011 if I remember.

Such a great thing seeing these old/new planes in the skies but sometimes things go wrong and there will be fall out over if unfortunately

I am not so sure he was trying to loop. It looks to me is if he lost engine power as he was climbing and everything after that was him trying to save it. Pulling it over the top in the hopes of getting it back under control. If he had had power he should have been able to pull out of the dive in that sort of space. Looks like he was clearly trying to pull up but didn't have the power.

Edited by Beardie

I am not so sure he was trying to loop. It looks to me is if he lost engine power as he was climbing and everything after that was him trying to save it. Pulling it over the top in the hopes of getting it back under control. If he had had power he should have been able to pull out of the dive in that sort of space. Looks like he was clearly trying to pull up but didn't have the power.

It looked like he was attempting a looping, we needed to analyse the engine sound to determine if it cut off but that video has no sound obviously

To put it some context, this is the first incident at an airshow in the UK in which people on the ground have been killed since the DH110 crash at Farnborough in 1952 -63 years ago. British air display regulations are among the tightest in the world, and to have hysterical, hand wringing calls for them to be banned ignores these facts. Something happened here that as yet we do not know the causes of; there will be an investigation and at the conclusion of that there will be recommendations for the authorities to amend the rules as necessary to ensure it does not happen again.

There will be enough stupidity coming out of the media over the coming days without it being added to here.

• Like 19

To put it some context, this is the first incident at an airshow in the UK in which people on the ground have been killed since the DH110 crash at Farnborough in 1952 -63 years ago. British air display regulations are among the tightest in the world, and to have hysterical, hand wringing calls for them to be banned ignores these facts. Something happened here that as yet we do not know the causes of; there will be an investigation and at the conclusion of that there will be recommendations for the authorities to amend the rules as necessary to ensure it does not happen again.

There will be enough stupidity coming out of the media over the coming days without it being added to here.

Totally fair point....

I'm seeing the keyboard warriors on other (non-modelling/non-aircraft related) forums all vocal about these continuously lethal airshows must be outlawed...

The Daily Fail is going to go to town on this event too.

Despite the fact that over 1,700 people are killed each year in motoring related accidents in the UK, you don't hear these same people calling for cars and motorbikes to be outlawed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/438040/reported-road-casualties-in-great-britain-main-results-2014-release.pdf

• Like 3

I saw it! It happened so quick if you blinked you'd have missed it. The Hunter was diving into a loop, then it vanished and there were something like a line of smoke columns billowing up. I've not seen anything like that before and hope I don't ever again.

Amen. I saw the Vintage Pair collide and crash at Mildenhall back in the '80s and I can still see it in my mind. Horrible.

Despite the fact that over 1,700 people are killed each year in motoring related accidents in the UK, you don't hear these same people calling for cars and motorbikes to be outlawed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/438040/reported-road-casualties-in-great-britain-main-results-2014-release.pdf

..had no idea the figure was this huge ...perhaps more attention should indeed be given to bringing this number of fatalities down....

Edited by FalkeEins
  • Like 1

After I saw the Vampire crash on the Saturday and the P-63 crash on the Sunday at Biggin in 2001, I could quite happily go for the rest of my days without witnessing another one first hand. On the TV is one thing, 500 feet away is another. But in fairness to the commentary team on the Sunday, the first thing they said over the tannoy was "if anyone has any youngsters who may have witnessed that crash, it may be an idea to take them onto the funfair rides to take their minds off it" which was good thinking I think on their part. Horrible to experience 50,000 people all suddenly hushed.

Well if I organised an event that killed a random 7 people I would expect uproar. 7 people dead. 7 people with probably zero interest in aviation or old aircraft. 7 people dead for random pleasure of others. The number of crashes recently clearly means it needs looking at.

I really hope you aren't serious. If you are then I really think you need to get a different perspective on life. My initial reaction to your comment would have had me on the naughty step for quite a while.

IIIRC most photos I have seen show Hunters with some flap deployed when carrying out aerobatics so I would think it is quite normal.

To everyone who is speculating ... please don't. It is very easy to be an armchair pilot/crash investigator.

My condolences to everyone involved in this tragic accident.

Peter

• Like 7

The news is just getting to the U.S. west coast, I hope all you aircraft guys are ok and nobody lost anyone. GBB!!