Hunter crashes at Shoreham

sinnerboy

Hi everyone,

My wife and I were at the airshow and saw the first part of the loop and only part of the descent.

Neither of us had our cameras ready as the show was just coming off a break and we didn't know it was there until he went past into the loop. We saw the explosion and smoke cloud from where we were near the Vulcan village.

Very sad day. XH558's pass was a fitting tribute to everyone involves, but I feel for the crew of the Sea Vixen who flew through the airshow at high altitude soon after the incident.

Panzer vor, no more shelf space and tomprobert, I am very sorry that your days ended in tragedy.

My condolences to the families of the 7 fatalities and my best wishes to those injured including the pilot.

Just as we were leaving the show, they announced that the show was being cancelled tomorrow in light of the days events.

We got home approximately an hour ago.

All the best,

A very shocked, tired and sunburnt Rick

It appears that the car that was hit was of the sort used as a wedding limousine. This could be one of the worst events ever to impact the whole ethos of air shows as entertainment if the contributors to the DM website are anything to go by. Condolences to all those involved.

Saw the video. ....jeeze what a tragedy for sure. I did not see the pilot eject so either he couldn't, he was unconscious or something happened at the last moment and it was too late. I feel for his family's loss. RIP sir

My thoughts go out to everyone involved. Everyone on here who witnessed this please take care of yourselves and I wish you all the best in dealing with this. How awful must this be!

I have numerous pictures of the loop and crash which I will be passing on to the AAIB, and out of respect will naturally not be posting here.

Same here.

Got out the airfield at 1918 and home at gf's in Middleton on Sea at 2100.

Time for a stiff drink

Jim

A personal friend of mine ex RAF Harrier pilot has just suggested 'turret failure' on Facebook. Not sure what it means. He also knows the pilot. His eighteen year old son flew in that aeroplane only three weeks ago. I didn't know Andy Hill but I've lost a few friends in crashes over the years. It's a pilot thing.

Such a sad day.

Al, I believe Andy was one of yours, his wife as well.

Mike, thanks for the 'calming' influence.

To all who witnessed this, my thoughts are with you. We have always had a great 'family' here.

• Like 2

A very tragic event, no point in speculating. Having witnessed several fatal air show crashes over the years I know that sickening feeling of disbelief when something like this unfolds before your eyes and the thoughts and images that stay with you.

Sincere condolences to all involved.....

Andy was my instructor on JPs and more recently a colleague. I'd been hoping to get a good photo of him in front of the College when he crashed. Appalling to watch. I was convinced he hadn't survived so the news that he is alive albeit critically injured is at least a bonus on a horrible day.

Good luck mate.

I was just about to go to bed when I saw this on the news. What a bizarre and terrible accident, I have no idea how the pilot survived that one. It reminds me of the Firefly crash at Duxford, which I saw first hand. That was similar in the fact that the aircraft had done some kind of loop and never pulled out of it's subsequent dive. Sadly the Firefly nose dived into the ground killing both crew, lucky it missed the M11, crashing on the far side of the motorway, so there was no further casualties. You really have to feel sorry for the people in the cars on the road the Hunter came down on, they wouldn't have had a chance. RIP indeed.

Although this is clearly a bad thing, it should not affect future airshows (I mean that we should still have them). It's been said that safety is paramount at airshows and we have some of the strictest rules for airshows in this country. Consider this, if an airliner crashes, is travelling by aircraft banned? No and therefore neither should airshows - I hope people get what I'm driving at here and I hope the media (mainly certain newspapers) don't try and use this as an excuse for a campaign to ban airshows.

thanks

Mike

• Like 3

Oh hell, what an awful thing to sign into. Even from this far away I can relate somewhat to the pain of those who witnessed this having seen a fatal accident at a New Zealand airshow some 20+ years ago, the images & emotions of the time stay with one. It also impinges on me having driven that piece of road on our UK trip last year & remembering signs to the Airport & thinking "ok, so that's where they hold the airshows". My thoughts & condolences to all who've lost loved ones & in other ways been effected by this tragedy.

Steve.

Tragic, my condolences go out to everyone affected.

I must say that I am quite disappointed and frustrated by a particular forum (name withheld but if you want to know which one please send me a PM) who think they know everything and have already started to speculate as to the cause. I think this is totally wrong at this stage and we should be maintaining our silence for both the respect of the families involved and the authorities who have to deal with the investigation.

Once again, terrible news, very sad indeed.

• Like 1

Terribly sad and tragic for all involved, my thoughts are with all that have become invovled in this incredibly rare accident and best wishes for anyone injured

.Mike, considering the wide spread of intrests on this forum, from aviation, armour, space, maritime, cars and everthing inbetween and the number of people that are involved in giving us the pleasure of these events that cover all the above, would it not be unreasonable to have a seprate forum heading for people to give thier condolences to those affected so it is seperate from the general discussion of such events, necessary as they are.

Just a thought and not intended to offend.