Recent builds

Here are some of my recent builds. I just recently got back into scale models after a long break. In the 70s and 80s I hand brushed all my builds until I bought an airbrush, my results were better but set up, clean up and masking turned me off after a few years and a pile of unfinished builds. Over the years I have collected numerous aircrafts from the 70s and 80s I'll like to build. I am now back to hand brushing and having fun. Out of all the forums I like this one the most because there is a lot of quality hand brushers here. My builds are simple OOB minimal details and keep it simple. I use Testors paints here in the U.S. Because they are easier to get. I have brushed with their enamels and acrylics, but the jury is still out on the acrylics. They brush nice but even with a primer coat they sometimes chip or lift with masking. The enamels are very durable but a little harder to brush so any insite on hand brushing with Testors will be helpful. I am painting out of the jar with no thinning. I'm using Testors brushes.

DSC_0184%20640x426_zpsfoqutobz.jpg

DSC_0158%201024x681_zps771z24pl.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsu11lj3u0.jpg

DSC_0190%20640x426_zpse1e73doa.jpg

DSC_0192%20640x426_zps7rerslex.jpg

DSC_0195%20640x426_zpshxqr3w22.jpg

DSC_0198%20640x426_zpsnloqwrtw.jpg

• Like 11

That's a joyful little collection and if you hadn't pointed it out, I'd never have guessed that they were painted with a hairy stick. Kudos to you.

• Like 1

Nice builds. (And welcome to the forum!)

When brush painting enamels, I sometimes find it helps to keep the brush slightly dampened with thinners. Seems to help the paint slide off the bristles. But you're getting very nice results already - probably better than I get with brush or airbrush.

The first thing to do is go to an art store and get some professional Sable or Camel artist's brushes; their bristles are much finer than the Testors hobby shop brushes ever will be. I also second the idea of keeping the bristles slightly dampened in thinner. It makes the paint flow and level better.

I appreciate a the comments and advise, still have a lot to learn. I've searched the Internet and have not found very many brush painted Models using Testors everything I've found has been airbrushed with Testors. I can tell you that I am enjoying brush painting and will stick to it. I've searched YouTube and only found a couple videos on brush painting. I did find this one and have watched it a few times.