Iranian F14A Mods and features

BushBrit66

• 11 months later...

Iranian F14A, Still looking good.

e5h8xs_zpssewaav4i.jpg

33jihl3_zpsizu83yjb.jpg

Net Photos

The most glaring error on these pictures ar the ridiculously thick vertical tail stiffener plates, which the Iranian Tomcats never had.

• Like 1

Do Iranian Tomcats now have their AAR probes fixed?

Most pictures of them seem to show them deployed, even on the ground.

Some fantastic pictures of them out in Google land, stuff you could only dream of a few years back!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do Iranian Tomcats now have their AAR probes fixed?

Most pictures of them seem to show them deployed, even on the ground.

Some fantastic pictures of them out in Google land, stuff you could only dream of a few years back!

I think your answer is in this pictures.

22566.jpg

22782.jpg

Image1927.jpg

photo-2016-05-04-07-39-16.jpg

photo-2016-05-04-07-39-48.jpg

Edited by pervis

• 1 year later...

June issue of 'Combat Aircraft' has an interesting article on them.

Some recent in flight photos with the probe retracted (for @71chally's info) although most show them extended.

No cockpit photos unfortunately Jim although in one shot the cockpit looks very black.

• Like 1

Don't know how old this video actually is:

When this was filmed, the cockpits were still in the standard colour: grey with black consolles, panels and instruments and black on sills and everything above. Just like the US ones.

33bpnbs.jpg

Thanks for your replies guys.

Looks like they've been threw full body and face "lifting" the Iranian cats. I found only this photo that is not good in big resolution. The instrument panel looks pitch black.On the left hand side cockpit wall next to the ejection seat looks like is grey. But might be some cockpit lights on the side walls ? I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just to revive an older thread; I recently had the opportunity to travel to Iran and see the big fighter flying around my nose and also have been able to take some close ups. What I can say at least for the modern age blue/grey camo is, my goodness these babies are plastered with subtle stencils (all in english mind you!). Even the early USN birds in their gullgrey/white hayday wouldn't have that much stenciling. I still need to sort through the ton of pictures I took but that was something that quite stunned me.

34612892zb.jpg

34612893ry.jpg

34612895ic.jpg

34612896ad.jpg

34612897gd.jpg

34612898ob.jpg

34612899pn.jpg

Edited by bushande
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Oh and another word on the cockpit. I was able to take a quick peek into the pit and in terms of color it is still the old standard pattern, i.e. black instruments and displays on grey boards.

Edited by bushande
  • Like 2

Excellent thread here. Great to see the F-14 lives on. I've recently dusted off an old shelf queen in the form of an Airfix F-5E which I have now airbrushed up in IRIAF camo, which I find especially appealing. I have some aftermarket decals for Iranian F-5E's and F's. Must get myself an F-14 for an IRIAF scheme I think!

Terry

• Like 1

Happy it's of some use to you guys. As soon as I found some time to rummage through the plethoria of pics I took, I can post some to the forum if it is liked. The Alicats did in fact appear to be in rather good shape doing some nice low level passes and climb outs. It really has been an absolutely amazing sight (and sound) to wittness, I confess that. How fit they are in terms of combat readiness is something I cannot say but I couldn't care less. All I need them to do is continue to fly; I don't need them to shoot something. However, it s claimed that the IRIAF still has well over 60 airframes to it's disposal with more than 40 of them "combat ready" and another few dubbed as "partially combat ready" having no active fire control system and being used as trainer or gunnery vehicle. However they do claim these could be beefed up to combat ready status in case of need. What is to such claims, I sure couldn't tell. However there is confirmation of more than 40 airframes being airworthy via undoctered images depicting these serials flying. I have to admit, my meager logic tells me there should actually be something to that claim as if they were really so much struggling to keep them airworthy they would use their funds to maintain the fleet they have. However if one only halfway keeps track of the Iranian airforce it shows that they seem to quite regularly move older airframes out of storage and revert them back into flying status. (There should be images around of 3-6039/160337 being delivered to Mehrabad overhaul centre in early 2017. This bird has been in storage since the late 80's early 90's and is proclaimed to be the last of the Alicats featuring the old Asia Minor camoflage with the difuse demarcation lines. However there is rumor that another one is around with the old camo pattern, supposedly 3-6067/160365 which is supposed to undergo overhaul as well but I wouldn't be able to tell for sure. I'm afraid however that as soon as they are overhauled / upgraded or whatever they all get the tactical blue / grey camo. I confess as much as I like the blue / grey pattern I indeed would love to see some of them retaining their old camos appart from the two splintered Tomcats that are known, i,e, 3-6045/160343 and 3-6049/160347) Why would anyone use their ressources on extra airframes if the others weren't mission capable of some sort? Certinly a quite expensive meassure if it was just to show the proverbial stinky finger to the US I would reckon?! There were at least three airframes at the overhaul and modernisation centre at Mehrabad however I was not allowed to take any pictures at that particular place, I'm afraid.

34648515wc.jpg

34648520lx.jpg

Edited by bushande
  • Like 6

Great Photos Alex, please post more or link to somewhere where we can see them

Politics aside, that the Iranians have managed to keep even a portion of their F-14 fleet airworthy for such a long period without any official OEM support is quite amazing. 

Edited by Calum
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...