Bf 109 E-4 - Adolf Galland - Airfix 1/72 ** Finished **

Well I personally this that's some great paintwork there Ced, looking very convincing!

I have a new lhs and its better than my last... My last place of work had one close but it stopped selling so much and expanded on Lego, can't blame them it brings in the money, but I can't help feeling there were other things they could have reduced first... Anyway mine is now in Cheltenham and it has just about all I could need at a good price! So I have bought my 10 thou sheet of plastic and a a pin vice, I get paid next week so will be popping back with intent! I was also chatting to them about when the airfix beaufighter is coming in :)

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Ozzy - hols were nice but glad to be back! :)

Thanks Rob :) They had the Beau and FW 190 dogfight double set in Frome. I had to slap my hand away as it reached out... but I did pick up another MkI Spit so that I can use the black and white scheme on the BoB transfer sheet - should make a nice pair (fnaar fnaar) with the OOB Hurricane. After the GBs of course!

Very nice scheme it is too Ced! I am hoping to do a black and white underside for one of my spits... I am also eyeing up another spitfire! Since following stews builds I am unable to build singularly and feel the need to do pairs or triples! That stew is costing me money... Oh well :)

Also you need not resist the beau you could do a great scene of the beau dropping its torp mid air!!

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Rob :) I think I'm going to stick to 'one at a time'... oh no, wait, trainers for the Moth GB. :doh:

Last night I Klear coated, this morning I applied the transfers:

DFD2C7B9-BA71-4D34-BDB8-B49E6B6F0D96_zps

I chopped off the kill markings to 40 to match the number appropriate for about this time in 1940... although he was obviously busy, it's a nice tidy number and I'm not sure how quickly the marks were updated.

"On 24 September, Galland downed his 40th victim, another notable RAF pilot, Harold Bird-Wilson... Galland was awarded the newly instituted Eichenlauben on 25 September. By the end of September he had 42 victories."

Swastikas from the Techmod sheet. Notice the Decalfix - I had moved across to MicroSol / Set but this bottle was hanging around and, as it's an Airfix kit, I assume it'll work... others have good reports and I used to use it before 'conversion' so shame to waste it (I'll report later!)

So those need to dry today. I'll fit the impossibly small parts, do some touching up and matt coat tonight.

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 6

Thanks Rob :)

I'm fairly pleased with the shading and I have now fitted the impossibly small bits, touched up and matt coated. The Decalfix has also done a reasonable job:

B8725372-6CA8-4FF9-AEC7-8EE44B521D44_zpsBDE26581-380A-4854-A315-988A0A63EB64_zps

Sorry about the poor focus. I'm calling this done now (after only 6 pages!!) - more pictures in the gallery. Bit hard following Kallisti's beautiful Spit but hey, someone's got to :)

Thanks for your advice, support and companionship, appreciated as always.

What next? I'm torn over more BoB (probably the Blenheim) or bowing to the pressure in the Tiger Moth GB. I shall have the evening off and ponder!

• Like 8

Thanks Sean - still pondering but I'm doing a Magister with the Moth so that's two already... also need to check if the Blenheim's allowed :)

Thanks Homer, very kind! :)

Great result Ced! Successful first attempt at mottling too!

One more build to convince me to get one of these Airfix 109s :)

By the way, the 109 was a Bf and not a Me, because it was initially built by the Bayerisch Flugzeugwerk (BFW) for Messerschmitt. In 1938 Messerschmitt acquired BFW and both companies merged under the name Messerschmitt. From then on, all new aircraft designations became Me but the older ones kept the Bf designation.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Sean - still pondering but I'm doing a Magister with the Moth so that's two already...

You're right Ced,

nothing like a Fouga Magister with a Tiger Moth!!! It's gonna look great and nobody will notice!!!

Congrats on your 109 by the way. The upper wings Balkenkreuzen are of a type I have never seen before. Is that a Galland special?

Have fun with the French training jet!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks Cookie :)

Ooo Jean, two things for me to clear up!

I shall add 'Miles' before 'Magister' at least once in the future. I do like the Fouga though - that empennage, so cool!

I have no idea about the crosses - they came with the BoB experience set and I just stuck 'em on!

• Like 1

Thanks guys! :)

Hi bbudde :) The Blenheim is a Mk I Airfix and I'll be using the BoB Xtradecal sheet. Not as pretty as the Mk IV, agreed, but 'of the period' :)

Thanks very much for all your help on this one. I have some more Luftwaffe in the stash once the GB pressure is over!

Thanks Rob :) The Blenheim is a bit stalled by the Tiger Moth and Miles Magister but will be started as soon as something's drying on those two. I'll post a link in the GB chat once I get my act together :)

Thanks Airgunner, very kind of you Steve :)