Bf 109 E-4 - Adolf Galland - Airfix 1/72 ** Finished **

Ced you lucky fellar, looks like you are living the dream! SWMBO and myself were in Italy 2 years ago and she fell in love with the place hard, very hard. Camping around Lake Como in the summer drinking the local vino and enjoying the delicious food very much agreed with us. Those temps are perfect, find yourself a nice pool, a good book and a few bevvies, you'll be in paradise. :yahoo::drink:

If you have WiFi try to stay off youtube modelling vids (if you can) hehe :smartass: . I turned on my Chromecast last night in the bedroom to fire up youtube, the other half says "your not going to make me watch modelling stuff are you" in a stern tone, to which I bravely replied, "no dear" and promptly turned youtube off :innocent:

Enjoy the Fiat 500L, some great roads to blast around, just be wary of those speed cameras. They are absolutely EVERYWHERE! This website will help you get back to the UK without funding the Italians. It is AMAZING just how many different types they have! :blink:

http://emax.poigps.com/ I've been done once in my life by a speed camera, in an area that used to be 80Km/h reduced to 50Km/h, I was doing 63Km/h Grrr

speedcamera_italy2.jpg

itcam5.jpg

512px-Florence_Italy_Speed-camera-01.jpg

Be careful of this one....sneaky buggers put it up on a lamp post

speedcheck_palo1.jpg

Just have a look at this page! http://emax.poigps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=91

I found this out after blasting through the countryside for a few days in a rental car, blissfully unaware of them. After returning back to Australia I promptly cancelled my credit card to avoid any unexpected charges. :rofl:

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 3

Haha Ced. ( I would like to get you straight forward, but once more) :offtopic: again :pizza: . The FIAT 500 is called here in Germany just the "Knutschkugel", which match it really perfect for that little Knutschkugel. Everbody wants to kiss this little one :poppy: : http://www.theonecar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/fiat-500-lounge-884.jpg

Cheers

Edit: I really don't know, how you can translate "Knutschkugel" into english perfectly. Not like 'beetle=Käfer'.

Mhhhh. Perhaps something like "the Blitz", which you could never translate into german language.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! It was hot... For me anyway. Homer I don't think the locals would recover from seeing me in swimming attire... No, sadly not from envy anymore! :)

Thanks also for the warning about speed cameras Homer. I usually try to stick to the limit but it's hard here. When I worked in Italy some years ago a friend told me the driving rules - "Go fast and don't hit the car in front". This seems to have evolved by adding " and as close to the car in front as you can get without dropping your 'phone while you're texting". Mrs B is a nervous passenger at the best of times and spends a lot of time hitting her imaginary brake, grabbing onto her seat or shutting her eyes. I also find my weak Italian is not up to the job of translating some signs and it was a while before the long phrase translated itself to 'speed cameras'. I shall keep my fingers crossed that 'going with the flow' has not cost me money :(

The iPhone has recovered but I think using the camera (a lot) in the heat drained the battery and messed up the charging circuit temporarily. We have it plugged in to the car USB and had been listening to BlueTooth audio AND using SatNav, but yesterday it was draining faster than it could charge so we had to turn off the music. That made the suggested route from Gubbio to Assisi VERY interesting. I can't see how to share this but try it yourself and you'll see one route starting on SS318 and then turning off and getting very, er, bendy. This is actually a narrow, poorly maintained 'road' over the mountains. Mrs B is not a fan of mountain roads, or crash barriers; she's OK with the ones in the middle of the road that stop traffic crossing into your lane, but the ones that prevent you careering over a 1000' drop to a grisly death, not so much.

Gubbio is great. An ancient town on the mountainside, it has public elevators between the major streets. It's also, bizzarly, where they found evidence of the extinction of the dinosaurs - there's a steep valley in the mountains with unusually high deposits of Irridium apparently. This is explained by the meteor that crashed to Earth. So there :hmmm::)

• Like 2

Interesting that the Iridium Spike was discovered there, thank you :). The Boss spent a few months in Assisi when she was in here early 20s - really enjoyed it. We still have some of the local pottery from there in use today - a vase and two egg cups :).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Me again, you seem to have a knack for being caught in the heat.

We had lots of storms last night and heavy rain so it's quite cool here today (22) and the next few days are set to be in the mid 20s which is fine by me.

Stay cool

John

Yes and we got the light version of yours through the last night with now 16°C in Münster. But nevertheless I don't like these thunderstorms coming in from the south west with that hot and sticky desert air. They are always very flash intense, slow and dangerous. On Saturday and Sunday night we had very heavy ones (1-2 flashes per second) here in the area, which burnt down some houses to the ground making several families homeless instantly. Very sad.

Edited by bbudde

Thanks Alex :) I was a bit sceptical too...

Today we went to find another lake (in the hope it would be cooler) but which turned out to be a reservoir... In the mountains. So we went on to Orvieto. I'll share part of the journey with you courtesy of Google Street View below, but first a couple of pics. Firstly the temperature, my favourite subject:

17144C29-F41B-4BBA-918C-53586635E546_zps

Yes, that's 38C. I know the car had been in the sun, but so had I. Now the Duomo at Orvieto:

37F66B1D-681E-4D8D-8659-9B0F849F7275_zps

Unusual stripy look - invasion stripes? Notice the scaffolding. I would usually take this as an excuse to utter my favourite phrase when around ruins - "That'll be nice when it's finished" but perhaps not eh?

• Like 1

For my second post I'd like to share part of the journey today courtesy of Google Street View (GSV), so you'll need two windows if you want to join in. GSV seems to only let you start at, er, a street so we'll have to start here (you might have to move the pin onto the road before street view appears)

Dropped pin

near Strada Statale 448, 91, 05023 Todi PG, Italy http://goo.gl/maps/z88GT

Click the forward arrow for a while and you'll see the 'bends for 3km' sign. Slow down to 50. No, really. Falling rocks too? This is where Mrs B shut her eyes. As you approach the first tunnel, notice the realistic lorry well across the white line and marvel as it vapourises just before you hit it. Into the second tunnel... In the middle look to the right and you can see the river and its gorge. Third tunnel - you can see ere that they're not really tunnels but protection from falling rock. Cool. Out of the tunnel and a white van appears on his side of the road - unusual. He obviously saw the cameras and didn't want anyone to read the signage on his van and complain. Hmmm. On to the bridge (barriers both sides) - stop in the middle and have a look around - pretty eh? You can stop this bit now if you like.

Further down the road here is the dam and nice views of the reservoir. Open your eyes Mrs B!!!

I can't seem to get GSV to share the location but if you play around you might find it worth it :)

That looks pretty nice. I love areas with reservoir. The cathedral looks fine. Italy is full of them and I like the fact that they stay cool even in hot weather. And they give you moments to calm down and forget the rushing time outside. Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Ced, we had a very nice holiday in Umbria several years ago and I remember the striped church at Orvieto. I also remember a very old town called Civita di Bagnoregio which was perched on top of a rock in the middle of a canyon and could only be reached via a causeway. The rock was crumbling and some of the buildings on the outskirts were sliding into the canyon, I sometimes wonder how much of it is left now. I also remember driving over the dam, didn't like that much, I've got a thing about large expanses of water, although not the sea, strange that.

Expecting an update soon.

Safe return

John

• Like 1

Thanks Alex :)

John I suggested a trip to Civita di Bagnoregio to Mrs B but after viewing the causeway on Google Maps satellite view she declined. Actually she said "Have a nice trip dear. Are your affairs in order?" Don't know what she means... I've never had an affair! :D

• Like 3

I went across the causeway but SWMBO stayed behind. I think she said something like " I'll call out the rescue people if you're not back for dinner." and went to find a Bar in Bagnoregio.

When we talk of past holidays now we call it Civita di Bognor Regiso.

Where's the update then?

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Thanks Jaime!

Apologies to John for not acknowledging the Bognos Regiso humour... Rain and thunder here, temps reduced and I'm really dozy! :)

• Like 1

Back in Blighty and enjoying the cool (actually 71F so I call that 'nice') :)

Finally some modelling to report. Well, a bit of RLM02:

A9CC81A1-1B88-4BDE-B6FA-1033544A24F9_zps9D78BCB6-7376-491E-938A-7FF6BADE60E7_zps

Still wet, obviously. Note that it was nice and easy to spray the sides, without masking for a change, ready for my pathetic attempt at mottling. Also note that I'm modelling the 'short aerial' version of the 109... just kidding, broke the thing when getting it off the sprue and the repair has failed me. Bodge job later.

• Like 5

Welcome back, what's 71F in real temperature? I used Centigrade all through my working life so Fahrenheit doesn't mean a lot to me. Are you going to do the mottling with an airbrush? I just cannot do that in anything smaller that 1/32, I use a stipple brush or small piece of sponge.

Bon weekend as we say here.

John

• Like 2

Thanks John and Cookie :)

Finally, back in the saddle today. Well, kind of. My desk lamp went u/s last night so I watched the videos on mottling that bbudde posted (thanks bbudde!). One step is to lighten the paint... and I have no white VMA. So, off to Frome to the model centre to get some and also choose a 'trainer yellow' for the Moth GB. New lamp arrived this afternoon so now I can see:

1C40763A-77EF-4882-B49E-2A88AEB256FC_zps

Ooo look, a model ME 109 (or is it Bf109?). So, first job was to stick a top on the aerial (fiddly) and then cut out the film for masking and apply that:

2CBFFE43-39AA-4AB7-A9D3-35E7C4C1FCFF_zpsAB9017DC-AF4F-472B-A397-5F6D3CCA184C_zps

Note the white tape is my new 'masking tape for curves'. Funny how you go to the LMS for a couple of £1.20 pots of paint and come out with £40 of 'essential' supplies eh? The tape is actually quite good and bends much easier than the Tamiya I normally use. Then I remembered I'm using film now... senior moment again. Then it was on with the RLM71, free-hand over the fuselage to start the 'mottling'. Actually Adolf's 'plane was more shaded than mottled (luckily for me) so a few blobs and stripes:

DF46889F-254C-4B4B-8939-1AAAFA6C9DD0_zps76521012-CBE5-49EA-AE7A-E8DC246B697E_zps

Then lightened with some white and a few more blobs and stripes. I also wanted to try shading the panels with a bit of contrast, here shown 'before':

3159C2FD-38D0-47A3-9CA6-94DFEC676D22_zps569E1657-C13A-4FDA-B431-7596040CF3C1_zps

and then I find that the Vallejo Model doesn't really mix well with the Model air and it blobbed. Rats. I also unmasked and saw that the under-tail area was, um, rubbish:

E1255BF2-D208-4DD6-ABC8-AD1B5336CE04_zpsE3B592E3-217A-4083-8C35-197BFA05E1BD_zps

So, calm, calm. respray a bit of RLM65, touch up the sides and here she is at the end:

D89B502F-AAF8-4A2E-94BB-48CD412CECF8_zps

Not too bad I think. I've cleaned the '65 off the tail (did you notice it?) and I need to let everything dry before getting out the Micromesh and touching up. Maybe later, definitely tomorrow.

• Like 8