Cant Z.1012 1/72 full scratchbuild

Time for another italian coffin/cute flying plane of the 30's. The cant z. 1012, a little 3 engine plane.

Nobody did it in 1/72, so I did mine ! .this is a full scratchbuild model (and decals). hope u like it :)

CRDA%252520CantZ1012%252520%2525203-AR%2

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 28

Paolo, that is a masterpiece. What method of construction did you use?

Much as I admire the final result, WIP pictures of a scratchbuild would be even more interesting...

I also like the base, very realistic. Would make for a bumpy takeoff run, wouldn't it?

Beautiful.
Why so many three engine designs from the Italians? Was it a powerplant issue?

Yes, but not only. It stemmed from a technical and commercial isolation.

Cooperation with the German aeronautical industry happened quite late, in the 30s Italians were doing their own designs, which was A Good Thingfrom a propaganda point and a matter of national pride, not to be questioned, not to be changed.

Either the Italian industry did not have access to high-quality metals or they were too expensive; prime materials were of 'autarchic' provenience (which at first was achieved via a door-by-door collection of scrap iron, copper and brass; then, in wartime, iron gates from private houses would be expropriated and replaced by wooden ones).

Because of low-grade components and lack of innovation, engines did not provide enough horsepower; because of low-grade components and lack of innovation, airframes were heavy. This resulted in the need for a third engine.

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 2

Thanks so much guys. Really happy you appreciate it.

I dont have many pictures of the work in progress of this scratch. I simply made a sandwitch of plasticard with dimes and correct it many many times to obtain the shape required from the drawings. When I do such (long, very long) works I always ask for the most precise blueprint around. In this model it was done by hands by an Alfa Romeo engeneer, and I totally follow it. The few pictures of this around are the other part to study. The challenge is always to compare what is drawn, to what I see in pictures, and then compare to what....I have in the hands.

This plane was a tri engine cause italian military aircraft nearly always had the big problem of power, being this a costant lack in our machines. The best ones we had were just for racing (power units from Mc.72 for example) but they never have been converted to something suitable for military porpouses. It was really strange,and so typical italian. If I am not mistaken also the 3 engines from SM.79 were british juppiters build in italy.

My next project will be another scratchbuild, this time a Savoia Marchetti SM.95 .... so nice and quite big machine. stay tuned :)

sm95-5.jpg

thanks again for watching.

Edited by Paolo
  • Like 2

Hi Paolo,

That's a beautiful little aircraft, beautifully built and right out of the CANT stable. Looks like a little Z.1007 (A) prototype.

Will look forward to your SM.95.

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1