Spitfires

Hi all,

Sort of marking my spot with these kits, Airfix's lovely Spitfires.

DSCF4615_zpslulgtbfw.jpg

Using the options K9899 LO-H 602 Sq,

DSCF4616_zps2tsgfqfu.jpg

and N3277 AZ-H 234 Sq.

DSCF4617_zpsvqajsk9q.jpg

Also have the Revell Spifire from the BoB gift set, but I'm approaching that one from a different angle:

DSCF4619_zpsvuja4b9u.jpg?t=1440007430

I'm just going to paint and decal it on the sprue. I've had a close inspection of the parts and while the Hurricane was

somewhat 'quaint' in it's aged way, this one is truly horrid. The canopy is a basic blob, and the amount of 'extra' plastic

is rather excessive even for me, and I like doing old kits. This one is 1963!

So I started painting this while touching up the paint on the Hurricanes. I'll not include it in the GB as such, it will be

more of a side show to the main event.

Sean

• Like 6

Looking forward to seeing these in progress. Good idea with regards the Revell kit. I've seen a few done like this before and then mounted, still on the sprues, in a deep(ish) picture frame. :popcorn:

• Like 1

I'm in :popcorn:

When you come to the canopy fitting, try putting the front in first and forcing down the back end - it's a nice tight fit! (fnaar fnaar, ooh, maybe not appropriate) :)

• Like 1

Great to see another go at LO-H :)

Cheers Robert, I see your doing the same. Sky Blue....I'll be using Humbrol 248. I used it on one of the Hurricanes, and quite liked it.

Is it right? I don't know, but it looks Blueish/Grey, Greyish/Blue and sort of looks it could be close.

Looking forward to seeing these in progress. Good idea with regards the Revell kit. I've seen a few done like this before and then mounted, still on the sprues, in a deep(ish) picture frame. :popcorn:

I'd seen one of the new Spitfires done like that on here Stix. It's either that or give it to some kid at Halloween, it's proper scary.

I'm in :popcorn:

When you come to the canopy fitting, try putting the front in first and forcing down the back end - it's a nice tight fit! (fnaar fnaar, ooh, maybe not appropriate) :)

Are you sure you don't know my Aunt Joan?? Of course I'm going to have to fit this on without thinking of that line. Could be the

hardest part of the build. 2 Dbles in one go! Score 2 plus a bonus 1

Nice start Sean, if it turns out as well as your Messerschmitt you can have one hell of a dog fight.

Tak-a - taka, Tak-a - taka, Tak-a - taka :pilot:

Great start Sean, I'm definitely in

Rob

Here you go mate.. :popcorn:

Sean

• Like 3

Today I made a start on these wee beauties. I'd built one before a couple of years ago and remembered the trouble I

had trying to fit the cockpit parts together after painting them first,so I glued most of it together and then painted once

inside a half of fuselage:

DSCF4641_zpsztibrm0s.jpg

There's a bit of detail to paint and the seat to add, which is already done, and the main parts can be done.

Like the wings, which have been glued:

DSCF4635_zpsd3d3iwo9.jpg

Looking at what's on the bench and around me, I've come to the conclusion I really need to get back to work.. <_<

Sean

• Like 5

Cheers for the popcorn share.... Nice work and I would also like to add that you a little bit crazy with so much on the bench!

I really need some time at my trio.... Oh hum

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

A quick update on these as well. I've got them closed up and fuselage and wings joined up as well. Also, after doing a bit of

surgery to the Hurricane, I thought I'd do the same with these.

So I've cut the elevators and drooped them as often seen on stationery Spitfires

Plus one has got a base coat of blue, Hu 248, which is not too light, nor too dark.

DSCF4656_zps1scj5vgx.jpg?t=1440537205

Sean

• Like 7

Nice progress Sean B)

I second Ced's advice about the canopies, they fit really nicely if you angle the front part in and then push the back end down, but fit like an absolute pig if you try it the other way round (with apologies if necessary for any egg-sucking advice contained there).

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Nice progress Sean B)

I second Ced's advice about the canopies, they fit really nicely if you angle the front part in and then push the back end down, but fit like an absolute pig if you try it the other way round (with apologies if necessary for any egg-sucking advice contained there).

Cheers,

Stew

Cheers Stew, all advice welcome, although I prefer my eggs scrambled, with bacon and sausage and a bit of toast. :winkgrin:

Nice progress Sean, the elevators look good, did you cut them completely off or just dig them out until they moved?

Hi Ozzy. The elevators are cut right through on the the non-blue one, while the blue is partial and then

gently bent down. I found it a bit awkward to line them up right when cut right through.

Lovely job Sean. That blue looks really good. And good work on the elevators too. Parked Spits always look better with them drooped.

Cheers Stix, I thought I'd give it a go, as you say, a Spit always looks better with them drooped :thumbsup:

Only a wee bit done on these today, as most of the time was taken up with the decalling of one of the 109s.

A second coat on the blue and a base coat of Hu 90 on the second:

DSCF4701_zpsv9hfcdmn.jpg

We have a weeding** tomorrow, so it will probably Sunday before anymore progress, :cheers::drink::eat::sleeping:

hopefully it won't be followed by :raincloud::toilet::elephant:

Sean

**weeding, really?? I meant wedding. Who drinks while weeding??**

Edited by sean
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

And finally...the Spitfires...Not much really, just the painting has been started.

As I usually do, it's a rough base coat of brown, followed by a couple of coats of green.

DSCF4730_zps7b2fhxuq.jpg

For some reason I have legs in one, but not the other. I suppose that's what happens when there's so much on

the go all at once. Better than one leg in each, hey?

As I've said in the other GB wips, work has been busy last week, it's feast or famine with what I do, so things

could be a bit slow this week as well. Still, plenty of time to go,

Sean

• Like 4

A bit more progress today. I bought Iron Maiden's new album yesterday, and while listening to

it I managed to get some painting done on the Spitfires and Hurricane. It's quite a long album,

well, three lps really, and gave me plenty of time to get stuck in to the painting. Another coat

of brown was applied and looks pretty solid, I'll check when it's properly dry for any need of touching

up, but they both look pretty much ok.

DSCF4744_zpspcrqnv3o.jpg

DSCF4743_zpsqe4eozlt.jpg

DSCF4742_zpsdt1wkcjh.jpg

These are looking good. :)

Never seen an airfare painted on the sprue before. How do you ensure the patterns line up. Really intrigued to find out :hmmm:

Badly at the moment! :winkgrin:
DSCF4739_zpsz5yenfxz.jpg

The port side wing needs a bit more brown to match the fuselage, and perhaps a bit of green needs to be added around the

back of the canopy, it's a bit tricky lining the colours up, while on the sprue. Plus, it's also a PITA trying to clean the

parts of flash without taking them off the sprue, there's not a lot holding the parts on. Makes it interesting though.

Thanks for looking in,

Sean

Is it just me, or....I've noticed this past couple of updates, that my pics seem to be a bit darker after resizing on

Photobucket. They're brighter in my picture files. All I do is resize, the odd time I'll crop.....?? :shrug:

• Like 4

Hi Sean. They're all looking good with the camo taking shape.

I got the new Maiden album last week too. Only listened to it a couple of times so far.

Hope you're having a good Sunday.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Hi Sean. They're all looking good with the camo taking shape.

I got the new Maiden album last week too. Only listened to it a couple of times so far.

Hope you're having a good Sunday.

Kind regards,

Stix

The best Maiden album in ages. I got it on vinyl, how about you? The art work inside the gatefold is pretty impressive, I really can't

fault the whole package, except the price maybe.

Not a lot to show, the final coat of green is on, and to be honest, if you looked at the previous photos, they look

pretty much the same, so I didn't take any new photos of the kits.

I did however start the canopies,

DSCF4755_zpsvsh3ahpr.jpg?t=1442597184

The first coat has been applied, one more should do it before they're fitted. There's also the final coats to go on the underside

of the fuselage, so a good bit to go yet,

Sean

• Like 2

The best Maiden album in ages. I got it on vinyl, how about you? The art work inside the gatefold is pretty impressive, I really can't

fault the whole package, except the price maybe.

Not a lot to show, the final coat of green is on, and to be honest, if you looked at the previous photos, they look

pretty much the same, so I didn't take any new photos of the kits.

I did however start the canopies,

DSCF4755_zpsvsh3ahpr.jpg?t=1442597184

The first coat has been applied, one more should do it before they're fitted. There's also the final coats to go on the underside

of the fuselage, so a good bit to go yet,

Sean

Hi Sean. I got the album on CD and I totally agree - it's definitely the best for quite a while. I will be making every effort to catch them on the tour next year - saw 'em last on the Final Frontier tour. No details of where they're playing in the UK yet though. You going to see them?

Good to see more progress with your projects - the painting on the framing all looks good.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

I haven't seen them in a few years, last time was in Dublin when it was still the Point Depot, so it's a while.

I'll maybe go this time around, none of us are getting any younger :pipe:

Sean

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

More finished, the Spitfires being more or less completed, just a matt varnish coat to add.

I had problems fitting the canopies on both of these, with K 9899 being the worst affected. Most likely down to me I suspect.

For some reason, on these two and the Hurricane,( which will follow shortly), the upper wing roundels refused to behave, with

on set being replaced with roundels from the Airfix decals. The other Spitfire set took three days to settle, and still aren't quite right,

so I'll get some Micro-sol and see if that makes a difference. Other than that, everything else was great.

DSCF4829_zps9qm67gy9.jpg?t=1446235693

DSCF4820_zpswj0yphbz.jpg?t=1446235693

As can be seen in the above photo, there is a bluish residue around the exhausts. i used Tamiya Extra Thin to

glue the exhausts in once everything was painted, and the glue must have reacted with the paint. I like the look

of the effect, so I've left it, on all three as it happens,( the 2 Spits and Hurri).

So that's three down, one to go,

Cheers,

Sean

• Like 5