Third attempt: I WILL finish something for the GB! Warp Stingray Terror Fish (Complete!)

So this will be my third attempt to get something finished for this GB. Back in July I picked this kit up at the Smallespace show from Timeless Hobbies. Its very simple but should look effective...

DSC_3659.JPG

__57.JPG

So construction was simple, basically attaching the tail to the head and then the mouth and fins. There was a lot of flash around the spikes on the tail which needed cleaning up plus a prominent mould like down the vertical middle of the head between the eyes and around the front edge of the mouth.

The mouth can be posed at any angle from closed to fully open (eg firing a torpedo).

The colours are various shades of green from light to dark, plus some coloured blobs on various scales and pimples - here is a screen-cap from the DVD of one of the episodes, which show a sort of "acne" effect on the head

vlcsnap-2015-08-08-10h11m53s761.png

Now the trickiest thing here is the eyes. The kit provides solid resin hemispheres and says they should be painted silver. Bah, thats not good enough! There should be fish-men inside the glass eyes...

vlcsnap-2015-08-08-09h43m39s890.png

So to solve this problem, I ordered some jewellery cabochons of the right size (25mm diameter) off eBay for a minimal cost, and using that previous screenshot, shrunk the image down to the right size and a copy flipped horizontally...

eyes.jpg

DSC_3658.JPG

So the construction went fine, well apart from me knocking it off the workbench, breaking off the end of the tail and the very tip of the big spike at the top of the head! I rebuild the spike using filler and stuck the tail back on. I fixed the mouth on which required quite a bit of filler in the gaps - I left it only slightly open rather than closed or fully open to fire a torpedo.

Final part of construction was to fix the white metal fins to either side of the head. These had a bit of flash and some nasty mould lines that needed quite a bit of cleaning up. I made the sockets they fit in deeper to give a more positive fit.

Then it was onto painting the green...

DSC_3661.JPG

DSC_3662.JPG

on the underside I drilled a 5mm hole which will accept an acrylic rod to support it on a base. I haven't yet decided exactly how I'm going to display it, but it will need a support anyway.

DSC_3665.JPG

DSC_3667.JPG

Finally today I glued the fish man pics onto the back surface of the cabochons using PVA glue.

Still need to paint the detailed "acne" effect onto the head and then attach the cabochons to the head and build the base...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 3

Further update...

The eyes have now been added;

DSC_3683.JPG

DSC_3684.JPG

DSC_3685.JPG

Next job is to build a base for it... so following on from my Stingray and TB 4 builds, I'll use a similar technique - basically a small blastic box coated with claycrete and some foliage to represent underwater plants...

The box and the claycrete, mixed with burnt umber and raw umber articts acrylics

DSC_3686.JPG

The claycrete is still very wet here, hence the shinyness

DSC_3687.JPG

I've added some lichen, grass and rubberised horsehair to give it some chracter

DSC_3689.JPG

Finally, people keep asking me what this "claycrete" stuff is... well its this:

DSC_3690.JPG

available from artists materials shops

• Like 2

I am very happy to say that I can call this one complete! Third time lucky I guess you might say!

So here it is in all its glory - I'll post a selection of pics to the GB gallery in a minute or 5...

DSC_3701.JPG

DSC_3702.JPG

DSC_3703.JPG

DSC_3705.JPG

DSC_3706.JPG

Stingray taking avoiding action...

DSC_3712.JPG

and how they appear on my shlef...

DSC_3700.JPG

• Like 4

cool, they look great together.

Though you had me a bit worried when I first saw those pictures of the base, I was wondering about the material you had used!!! :D

A really quick and simple build and looks great, well done.

That's turned out really well and they look good together. The eye idea was a stroke of genius.

I've got the Wave Stingray which could really use a Terror Fish of the right size.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...