Matchbox II GB Chat

Arniec

11 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Patrice, hard to say to be honest. I recall reading something about these codes being paiinted in flight colours so perhaps they were both red as well as blue. I believe there is something written in Chris Thomas’ latest Osprey book “Tempest Squadrons of the RAF” but I’m away on holiday at present so won’t be able to re-read this chapter until Friday. 

Black and White photos should be a little easier to decipher if comparing the codes to the fuselage roundel. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Good morning Dave

Chris Thomas made this answer to my question

There is a black and white photograph of 5R-V PR533 which seems to show code letters the same shade as the spinner and red or blue of the roundel.  The squadron ORB of the time records that spinners were painted in flight colours, no mention of the codes which would normally have been black.  Traditionally A Flight used red and B Flight used blue so it seems unlikely that the spinner on PR-V (a B Flight aircraft) would have been red, the codes even less so.  There are photos of other Tempests which seem to confirm the codes were usually black.

So it seems unlikely that codes/spinner were red on this aircraft. Black and blue (respectively), or possibly blue for both, look better bets.

CT

I can send you the Dooley Bird Decals for the shipping costs if you agree ?

Give me your adresse I am  going to ask to the post office about postal charges for Australia and I will give you the amount  ..

Patrice

• Thanks 1

Thanks for re-posting Chris’ reply. I’d certainly go with what he recommends for all things Typhoon/ Tempest. 

Truly appreciate the offer for postage price decals. PM inbound. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

15 hours ago, masterqq said:

Guys,

Would a revell rebox of the Matchbox Beaufighter TF 10 be allowed in this GB, I am starting one soon..

this one

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/102250-revell-04290-bristol-beaufighter-tf-x

Hey Thomas, it is allowed. I have a Walrus rebox I plan on building once I finish a couple of current MB builds.

I am currently working on a Hellcat which is actually a Revell boxing as well.

I just won a Matchbox Siskin at my local model clubs Christmas raffle, and apart from the yellowed sellotape it's almost immaculate, no fading or crushing of the box, ...  real trip to a newsagent 40 years back...

weird  thing it has a sticker on the back saying "Brandenburg"   and when I opened it up there was a sheet of paper stapled to the instructions saying "with compliments of brandenburg limted, high voltage engineering

Anyone know anymore about this?   A quick google isn't turning up much.

The  decals look useable except the roundels  centres  are way off...  

A little of topic but thought maybe of interest to folks here.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's looking back over some old GB's found this interesting build by Dean,Matchbox B17.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949376-matchbox-172-b-17/

That is a brilliant thread and build - I read it through a couple of times. I have never built a Matchbox kit before this GB and obviously really did miss out first time round. It says something for the quality of the kits to be able to mix two different ones and still only need a razor blade, sanding stick and nail clippers to successfully put it all together in 'bare build' format.

I'm really enjoying this GB.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 2

On 15 december 2017 at 2:48 AM, Troy Smith said:

I just won a Matchbox Siskin at my local model clubs Christmas raffle, and apart from the yellowed sellotape it's almost immaculate, no fading or crushing of the box, ...  real trip to a newsagent 40 years back...

weird  thing it has a sticker on the back saying "Brandenburg"   and when I opened it up there was a sheet of paper stapled to the instructions saying "with compliments of brandenburg limted, high voltage engineering

Anyone know anymore about this?   A quick google isn't turning up much.

The  decals look useable except the roundels  centres  are way off...  

A little of topic but thought maybe of interest to folks here.

Maybee some sort of christmas gift for emploayeas.

I was just going through my work box today and I'm in dire need of a re-stock of paint's,liquid poly, thinner's etc so must pop in the LMS

before Christmas I just feel the need for one more armour build to run alongside the Victor after the new year ,so either the Wespe or White half track

could be making an appearance.

• Like 2

I have one as well and I hope this answers our question;

quote from the rules; [my embolding of the points]

Hi guys,

The group build is open to models of MATCHBOX. This includes planes, afv's, cars, ships, etc. It has to be a original Matchbox kit. if you are not sure look here. http://www.matchboxkits.org

and from the intro on page one of this thread;

As long as it's a matchbox kit you are ok. Even the later re-issues from Revell. Like the Stranrear, Sherman Firefly, 1/72 flower class corvette or a 1/32 scale car like the Porsche Le mans racer in martini colours.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bobster said:

Hi Chaps, I have a Xtrakit Meteor boxing of the Matchbox kit, is this eligible to join? Cheers, Rob

Yes it is guys.  As long as it is a matchbox kit.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

To all participants in this great Matchbox GB, hope you all have a safe and Merry Christmas for 2017. Let’s also hope that Santa delivers some exciting additions to the stash and that there’s something there for everyone when Airfix announce their 2018 new tool list on 9 January. 

Hopefully I’ll be in a position to post an update on one of my builds, however with Christmas day being spent with the “outlaws” and Mrs Rabbit Leaders birthday on Boxing Day, finding time on the bench might not be easy. 

Cheers and happy Christmas modelling.. Dave 

• Like 6

Merry Christmas and a Modelling New Year to you all! If you have been having as much fun as wot I have in this Matchbox GB then it will be hard to improve on it! All the best to you all!

Regards,

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

How about this for a first class Matchbox display...

matchboxdisplay12.jpg

The full range, all together in one place. From a show put on at the Euro Scale Modelling show in 2016

There's a report of the build up of the show and plenty of pictures of the event starting on page six on the link below.

https://www.modelkitcollecting.com/display-of-the-complete-history-of-matchbox-at-esm-t3539-s50.html

• Like 8

Must get my finger out I've done little over the last ten days,the Harrier,Buck and Lightning are within a session or two of finish,it's the Victor that's

the worry I've done a lot of prep work on the sub assemblies and built the cockpit.Sadly the twin otter is a definite fail (don't ask) hope to finish the 

White half track tonight and think I'll do a Mustang as a very quick build and go old school with a brush painted finish as I have a nice set of decal's

from Revell's last release of their ancient kit "Cookie".

• Like 3

I bet Revell wish they had the Tempest mold's still judging by the number being built in this GB alone it would surely be a seller,don't think

many  are opting for the earlier wartime option.

• Like 2

Hi folk's I,ve had to call off the Victor build due to time constraint's as explained in the WIP,I'm not far of with the remaining build's but when I moved

the bench into the loft room I (despite the heater) underestimated how cold it is still when the the temp outside hit's rock bottom so not done much

in the last few week's,anyway I'm getting tempted by every build of the Tempest springing up to add one to the list so I may replace the Victor with

a build of the Sabre engined option as I have a set of marking's for a D-day era machine I'll see how the next couple of week's go.

• Sad 2