1/72 AgustaWestland Merlin HAR.5

Ragtag

Thanks for that Colin, never realised there was a pattern to the numbering, I thought it was just sequential. I always wondered why the HC.3 predated the HM.2. However, don't the Navy fly the HM.2 and soon to be flying the HC.4 as well, while the RAF were flying the HC.3? :shrug:

Edited by Ragtag

Looks like you've caught me out there. Up until the Merlin HM 1 yes odd for RN even for the crabs. The Merlin MH 2 is a progression of the Mk1 the HC 3's were the crab designation so probably logical to coninue with it... Maybe it should have been an HM 3 but that would have got complicated with the HC 3's?

So maybe your HAR Mk5 would be OK?

I have the US vesrion of the kit which wil now not get finished in that scheme, I may follow your brief and do some serious wiffery on that.

Colin

The Merlin HC Mk3/3a requires a lot of modifications to allow it to operate off ships, this is being carried out in stages with the quickest mods, tie down rings / stronger wheels etc being done first. With these mods done the aircraft will become the Merlin HC Mk3 interim (Mk3i). The more serious modifications, folding main and tail rotors / standardised cockpits etc will come along later and will result in the Merlin HC MK3, MK3a and Mk3i becoming known as the Merlin HC Mk4. Just what colour they'll end up in is open to debate.

Thanks for the info. Re, the new if any colour, lets hope it's not the new 'Tactical Cammo' on the Wildcats. That would look stupid but then I'm not in charge... I'm happy with NATO/Helo Green.

Colin

Well, I thought I was making good progress with the detail painting and touch-ups completed.

So - I gave the whirlybird a light lick of Humbrol gloss acrylic varnish from a rattle can - nothing too heavy as I'm always wary of the solvents reacting with paint. Check a couple of mins later and pretty much anything that was touched up with Humbrol Enamel #69 has crazed badly - any of the other colours (including a couple from Revell) were fine. :badmood:

I'll now have to leave the varnish to dry before sanding back and repainting. I think this may be the final push towards something brush-applied like Clear for a gloss coat - anyone have any experience of the Humbrol version?
:rant:

In an attempt to make me feel like I've at least made some progress, I've added the wheels.

Oh dear - yellow always seems a mare to work with, as does white!

I am sure you will recover it.

I have used the Humbrol Clear, both with a brush and also sprayed on - I tend to only use the rattle can humbrol varnish as the final coat, after the clear, decals, clear then any weathering. So far it has not caused any problems - touch wood.

I do find with humbrol clear it needs to be applied thinly (or it pools and drys white) and I have to leave it to totally dry between coats ( haveput on a further coat too early to again find it dry patchy white).

There have been some 'bad batches' it appears (there is a thread on the this site somewhere).

I still use the good old floor polish (Pledge now but seems similar to the Klear - I think its just rebranded) through an airbrush.

Pledge_Multi_Surface_Wax_Klear.jpg

She's looking ok - I ended up brush-painting over a large proportion of what I'd sprayed. There are a few spots I'm not entirely happy with but they're about as good as they're going to get without stripping the lot and startching from scratch. Test coat of Humbrol 35 tonight I think and see how that does for a gloss coat.