Building a HAS

If you have any questions just ask :)

I think a redesign of the 'shelves' in to sets of cradles could be in order. Not sure if a cardboard frame will hold together if i take out the solid shelves. May try though. Does anything else get stored in the cradles other than tanks?

I've had a good look through & I do have a couple of questions. One is about the point at which power & fuel comes through in to the HAS from the Annex. Is there a wall panel / hydrant style connector over on that side? The other is what is the fan / compressor mounted on the back wall to the left of the blast doors? Looks like part of the ventilation system. Might also be worth modeling if its been there back to the days of the Phantoms.

Cheers Motley, all help is greatly appreciated.

I think a redesign of the 'shelves' in to sets of cradles could be in order. Not sure if a cardboard frame will hold together if i take out the solid shelves. May try though. Does anything else get stored in the cradles other than tanks?

I've had a good look through & I do have a couple of questions. One is about the point at which power & fuel comes through in to the HAS from the Annex. Is there a wall panel / hydrant style connector over on that side? The other is what is the fan / compressor mounted on the back wall to the left of the blast doors? Looks like part of the ventilation system. Might also be worth modeling if its been there back to the days of the Phantoms.

Cheers Motley, all help is greatly appreciated.

The cradles are just for the tanks, both sizes fit them. Each HAS always has different amounts of cradles and tanks, one HAS may have nothing in the racks while another may have like 3 big tanks and a pair of smaller tanks on them.

The power now days is given through a generator which you can see just to the side of the porta cabin, the box in front of the cabin is there to hold the 2 power cables coming from the generator. From what ive seen and been told, as you said the power use to come from a houchin in the Annex, the leads would come through into the HAS through square ports above the side vents, if you look at the picture with the door into the annex, the ports are just in front of the red container.

The fan/compressor you have mentioned is a big motor, this was in the HAS's so that the jet could be pulled back into the HAS's. there is still cabling in some of the HAS's but none of them are used anymore, theyd drag the cable out to the jet, and then pull the jet back into the HAS by its hook, this meant you didnt need a tractor to put jets away. Dont know if the motor would be there iin the days of Phantoms

Hope this is of help to you :)

• Like 2

Thanks Motley - I have a feeling that winch will be one to add

I have had a quick go tonight at taking out one of the 'shelves' and making up a more open version of the cradles:

WP_20160420_23_09_17_Pro_zpse4mccdyc.jpg

Its just strip card but three layers thick, so it should firm up when it dries - hopefully firm enough to take the weight of a load. Bit of paint tomorrow & see how it comes up

The opened out cradle approach had a problem - too weak to hold anything. So I have added 1.5mm steal rods underneath to strengthen it. This seems to have worked ok, so I have taken out the other shelves and added extra bracing and a ladder on one end (could do with one on the other end too) Needs some paint to hide the multicoloured cardboard, but the idea looks ok & better than the first attempt.

WP_20160421_23_08_13_Pro_zps53issi20.jpg

• Like 1

Last one of the racking for now. Could still do with another ladder on the other end, but this is it with a couple of Phantom tanks& the frame painted. Next time out will probably when the HAS is next set up.

WP_20160422_17_19_47_Pro_zpsfw4h7ekg.jpg

Next up I suspect will be the winch at the back. I am sure I have seen it in Phantom photos so it would be appropriate to include it.

Got the HAS set up today, so thought it was time to have a look at the rack in place with a Phantom. Wattisham HAS & a Wattisham F4J(UK)

WP_20160426_16_57_13_Pro_zpsesrnfhgp.jpg

WP_20160426_16_57_30_Pro_zpssuwfok5h.jpg

Trouble I can see the blu-tac holding the orange lift section on!

Now the HAS in USAF mode (RMP look away now) with a Navy visitor:

WP_20160426_17_09_09_Pro_zpsateavvln.jpg

The Hornet isn't finished yet - more decals to go on & some more colour on those Aim-9s

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of pics tonight. First the HAS with its two Phantom residents:

WP_20160507_22_22_30_Pro_zpsoufnrb49.jpg

Then some friends joining them - busy day at the HAS. Not really enough room for them all, but not a lot more space for extensions.

WP_20160507_22_30_30_Pro-2_zpsjvgosx5c.j

Now some French visitors. First the Mirage IIIr

WP_20160507_22_37_40_Pro_zpseqcpu60y.jpg

Now the new one. French, high winged, single seater but sadly not a Jag, merely a Mirage F1. Not finished yet & just in undercoat

WP_20160507_22_38_45_Pro_zps1tduqlb8.jpg

Thats all for tonight

Hmm, take out the Atar engine & slot in a couple of Adours, square off the intakes and the F1 looks very Jag-ish. Must admit my finger keeps hovering over the 'buy' button for a Jag. Mind you it is competing with a Tonka F3 or a Harrier GR3 in the scheme of things. Must do some more bits on the HAS soon too.

Really not keen on the Tamiya French Blue for the F1 - looks quite good in dark grey undercoat alone. Couldn't get any intermediate blue yesterday.

Got some of the blue on to the F1 today. Its definitely a colour that doesn't photograph. Its quite blue so I used a dark grey underneath and then over sprayed with a light coat of light grey. Nowhere near done yet but this is what it looks like now:

WP_20160508_19_59_03_Pro_zpsomag9vrd.jpg

Canopy surround in black is also just a base coat. The underside is silver and the nose probe has fallen off but I have it to put back on

The French connection is continuing to develop. Not done yet, but the sunshine was too good to miss a chance to get the HAS outside.

WP_20160512_17_17_52_Pro-2_zps8wuivtpz.j

Getting to like the blue now. More decals to go on, plus weapon load and wheel bay doors. Even the front of the canopy is still in black undercoat without the blue on. Oh and I haven't put the seat in yet!

But its not the only Mirage on the block, so here are the pair

WP_20160512_17_18_59_Pro-2_zpsuehkcdba.j

Nice one Kirk. Must admit I had always thought GR3 in grey green RAFG. And I think RMP is just expecting a Jag now. But that GR 7 looks good.

It was just occuring to me what an incredibly versatile model you have created. It gives such good context and sense of scale to all the aircraft models you place in/on it. Equally, having previously been not much of a fan of figures, I'm coming around to realising that they work well in your photos - probably because I'm already used to a photo being static. The other thing I like is the low angle shots that this setup encourages you to take, which gives a more familiar perspective.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Do you have a plan of specific updates to the HAS itself, or is it pretty much done now? Fuel bowser maybe?

Kirk

• Like 1

Thanks for the comment Kirk. I try to make it look like someone took a quick photo while passing, rather than too many staged 'press photos'

I doubt the HAS will ever stop developing to be honest. There are more things I would like to do with it - in the early days they had a winch on the back wall & I fancy replicating that. Fuel & power used to come in from the annex, but more recently power comes from a new generator in the HAS itself. A houchin is also an option as I am sure they turned up often, as is a tow tractor & towing rig. More scattered storage too, plus some free standing trays for the racking. Maybe an outside hard standing extension too with more room to display visitors.

So HAS bits interspersed with the occasional built aircraft is the way it will go.

Cheers Head in the Clouds

Prompted by Kirk I have had a go tonight at improving the back wall. It has always had the jet exhaust hole and doors, and the ducting. However the rail the doors run on was rather simple and the winch wasn't there at all:

WP_20160513_21_25_09_Pro_zps1y4pgcrn.jpg

So I added the upper rail & covers for the small wheels that the doors move on. Then I got some card & a bit of evergreen strip and tried to make up something like the winch. Its just an outline so far, with a glue tube lid stuck on the side to show how the motor should look. It will never be the focus of the set, just a background feature, but I will do more to it - add some cables, other control switches etc. It all adds something to the background

WP_20160513_22_15_22_Pro_zps22goyysa.jpg

The lights shades are actually painted yellow as it makes the light in the HAS look more yellow when they are on.

Lots of ideas from this picture (RAF pic on the Daily Mail page, linked not copied here):

article-2336526-1A2A9F13000005DC-619_964

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Little more to add other than a "like".

I do have an excess of RBF tags and Eurofighter weapons going spare if you plan on replicating the last pic though, which does look incredibly close to what you already have around that there Typhoon thingy. Its a nice shot that.

Edited by RMP2

The photo of mine is rather cruel with the flash on, but with some more work will look ok. I like all of the trolleys and each weapon seems to have its own unique trolley. Thanks for the offer RMP - I do have a few RBF tags from the F-15 to try at some point. Wouldn't mind a single seat typhoon though. Still like Kirk 's GR7 picture but they seem to be quite hard to come by.

I love the fact that this dio can keep growing and transforming as this is what makes a great themed table !!!! LOTS OF HARD WORK AND DEDICATION !!!!!!

The ability to keep filling the clutter and having options to interchange is even better though your bank balance is likely to take a hit if you start buying all the resin aftermarket bits that you can't get in plastic at that scale !! I think you said already there were loads of BRIT KIT in resin, but only the plastic kit for USA !!

Have you thought of scratch building some of the Brit kit instead ?? One of the tow tractors in yellow and one in green to swap out in your pics !!

We all like giving you lots of work to do ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, don't we ??

Nige

Cheers Nige, don't know about dedication, more like endless fiddling & messing about with it. Many hours of 'why am I bothering to do this?'

One of the tow tractors in yellow and one in green to swap out in your pics !

I like this one a lot:

51YQjFU%2BHlL._SX450_.jpg

Maybe with scratch build cab it could look both UK & US ish? Little choice with a houchin though - resin or scratch build. Don't mind the main section its the wheels that are a pain. Found some great 1/48 uk resin trucks the other day - £50 per kit! I was even looking at 1/48 wheely bins the other day. Best bet with anything like that may be 3D printing. I need to talk to some people I know who may have access to a printer... But equally they may say no!

Defo a need for FOD bins and signs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

A good place to look for wheels and tyres is on evil bay normally for die-casts !!!!!!!!!! Even going to car boots or exchange meets (we have a regular swap meet in Falkirk first Sunday in the month ) where folks have crates full of old die-casts and plastic cars often pocket money prices !!!!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,, Is the hastle of sorting through for that illusive tyre style or size that may fit if you have a scale size !!!!!

I must admit to liking a little Douglas tug in yellow or green and since they are quite boxy with flat profile wheels and tyres they would make an interesting project if you could get the basic dimensions and a scale drawing !!!

Nige

Talking of cheap die-cast, local community centre had a stall today selling stuff. Picked up a pickup for 50p. Not right for anything really, but certainly not the 1/35 scale it claims underneath. Looks about the right size next to my 1/43 Landy.

WP_20160514_14_47_19_Pro_zps2nwvqeir.jpg

Will clean it up & take off the Mazda printed on the front. Then some green. Was thinking of a Follow Me truck

090512-F-2003B-124.jpg

I remember seeing them at Mildenhall, especially when the Blackbird or U2 were about

At the same community centre event I got a chance to get up close & personal with one of Wattisham's current residents:

WP_20160514_12_20_49_Pro_zpslktyyf4g.jpg

Lots of close up photos for future reference in case one of these comes along my way in 1/48