Building a HAS

F15 is getting a smaller cousin. Not sure if they have been regularly based out of land bases with HAS set up, but I am sure they frequently visit.

WP_20160406_22_26_32_Pro_zps6tkwvsw2.jpg

Sadly one came down just out of Lakenheath a few weeks back killing the pilot. Some pictures of them at Lakenheath them came out in the press. Interesting to see, but very sad none the less.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-34610280

Mine is an early F/A-18 navy one, not the same as the current Super Hornets

I held back when I saw a bloody F-15 in the Phantoms spot, thought to myself "Well, at least its not an F/A-18..."

More Phantoms required. With rocket pods. :)

The FGR2 looks like an airfield decoy still with no markings and only 2 rocket pods (need at least 4!) at the moment. But the F18 cost less than half the price of a new FGR2 decal set. And it fits with the US ground crew stuff. Been a nice enough kit to build too. It's starting to look more like a Mildenhall static line up here. Another Mirage turned up here the other day going cheap too.

Don't worry - a Jag is still planned soon ish. Wouldn't mind a Harrier GR3 too. Or a Tonka F3. Wonder if the Revell Jag kit includes Phantom suitable rocket pods.....

Edited by bar side

Taking a break from the US Navy jet that isn't a Phantom, I was looking at the racking in the Tonka era HAS photos again. Thought I would make a quick disposable cardboard 'thing' to see about size & location. This is what came out:

WP_20160415_17_20_45_Pro_zpsaz4oyuuf.jpg

Conclusions from this:

1. Its too long

2. Depth. height and back curve look ok

3. 3 shelves may look better than the 5 or so I have seen in some photos

4. I have no idea if the shelves are solid or mesh

I put it into the HAS on the garage floor to check fit. Like this the shell sits too high & as the shelving is too long its to close to the door. Compare to the photo in post #164

WP_20160415_17_22_24_Pro_zps54kfdhrf.jpg

Worth doing? Think it adds something

• Like 2

I decided the basic frame wasn't too bad, so shortened the shelves & glued it up, plus added the hoist:

WP_20160416_22_50_08_Pro_zps2s5idkhq.jpg

With a quick coat of paint it started to look the part. Its going to be loaded up with drop tanks & the like anyway:

WP_20160417_10_11_34_Pro_zpsw2hkqcfu.jpg

Might get time to set up the HAS & put it in today - depends how the bathroom tiling goes

Nice. What's the decaling?

No decals Kirk, just some white & yellow panel boxes. I suspect they have things written in them that I can'e see in the photos.

Managed to get the tiling to a point where I could get the HAS set up. Looks an ok addition scene I think

WP_20160417_19_18_19_Pro_zpsg7y9y7ve.jpg

WP_20160417_19_16_15_Pro_zpsiiifrc3r.jpg

• Like 1

The way youre photographing it is spot on too.

Actually the photos are done on my phone. Lower res & no flash so the only light comes from outside or the lights in the HAS. Seems more the way real pictures would be. Plus flash rather cruelly shows up the limitations of my modelling.

I was wondering about putting a container at the back of the HAS for storage. I am sure I have seen one in a photo before.

Thought those were real reference pics and had to look twice !!!! The tarmac and finish is amazing !!!!! Just keeps getting better all the time !!!!!! The necessary clutter is looking more and more convincing !!!!

You got me hooked

Nige

Containers you say? Like... JP233 containers? :)

More like shipping container - mind you nothing to say it can't have JP233s stored in it.....

The necessary clutter is looking more and more convincing !!!!

Cheers Nige - just realised that the photos are more of the HAS & clutter than of the aircraft. Its more like the Tonka is just part of the clutter!

Now day at Marham, we have small sized ISO containers at the back of the HAS's to put blacks and other things in. The tank storage too, it is shelves the tanks are put on, the tnks go on to rather large cradles which then fit into the racking, i can get pictures of the tanks on the racks tomorrow if you want :)

Now day at Marham, we have small sized ISO containers at the back of the HAS's to put blacks and other things in. The tank storage too, it is shelves the tanks are put on, the tnks go on to rather large cradles which then fit into the racking, i can get pictures of the tanks on the racks tomorrow if you want :)

Cheers Motley - that would be very useful. The cradles sound interesting, I had assumed that they sat in some kind of suppprt but the rest was guesswork.

Quick couple of pic I spotted on the web. First is for RMP - F-18 outside a Wattisham HAS. Couldn't resist....

188758.jpg

And an open HAS with racking just showing behind a Belgian F-16

fa76.jpg

Covers excuses to pose most things around the HAS!

Blacks? :shrug:

Blanks, just me being bit dopey

Cheers Motley - that would be very useful. The cradles sound interesting, I had assumed that they sat in some kind of suppprt but the rest was guesswork.

your actual structure looks spot on atm, had to do a double take of the picture with it in the HAS

Cheers Motley - the reference photo had a ladder on the end of the rack. Is that a regular feature of them?

There is a ladder on either end of the racks, they are part of the frame and are found on every rack ive seen. Ive got some photos for you, just sorted them out and then ill post them up on here :)