Building a HAS

Couple more shots of the GR1 in the HAS. The tanks and boz are just on with blu-tack & I haven't finished the bomb load yet

DSCF9397_zpshtovs8mk.jpg

DSCF9403_zpscgd6dqrc.jpg

** - photos updated - seems photobucket lost the last two somewhere

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

This diorama just keeps on improving with age. The surface texture seems to be changing slightly but if anything it looks more life-like. :D

The scale of the setting seems to make the viewer look at the aircraft differently too. It only needs to be a little busier to force a second look to work out if it is real or not... :clap2:

Cheers Kirk

Its the old cardboard floor that 'ripples' a little bit in some light. The other floor is bigger but mdf so no ripples on it, but I didn't have room to set it up today.

Needs ladders for the tonka now & a few people about, and some more clutter - fire extinguishers, first aid kit, signage etc. Otherwise it looks like a long tea break.

Maybe silicon something flexible to the underside of the HAS so that when you seat the shed down after posing you black out the edge light !!!!!!!!!!! OTHER WISE A STUNNER OF A SETTING and well jealous that you have a full HAS to muck around with !!!!!!!!

NICE

Nige

Maybe silicon something flexible to the underside of the HAS so that when you seat the shed down after posing you black out the edge light !!!!!!!!

Ah, you spotted that! I usually put a sheet over the top to stop any light getting in but I forgot this time as the weather outside was so grey.

The downside of a 1/48 HAS is that the full size base needs about 6ft by 4ft to set it up. Post Christmas I have too much stuff in my garage to do that.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

As I keep saying though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very very atmospheric and caught the look amazingly well with the lighting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have only ever been in one while in the ATC as a youth but just stunning backdrop for your models !!!!!!!!!! How is the MT fleet coming along ???????? Have you found a 43rd scale Sherpa van or minibus yet ?????????

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7584/17067306601_6346c2cd2d.jpg

Nige

Some clutter for the HAS arrived. I got the Hasegawa USAF ground crew kit, mainly for the men as the GPU isn't the same as the RAF use. Plus the HAS annex builds in the GPU. But the chocks, fire extinguisher trolley etc will look the part. Here is a quick shot without the HAS, with unpainted figures and with the Tonka ladder I knocked up from card & paperclips:

DSCF9409_zps0pa0pmet.jpg

Think its got potential to give a bit of life to the HAS.

• Like 4

Cheers RMP - the tonka was quite good fun but its not a great model. Looks the part as part of a diorama. Bit of paint on the ladder and it looks ok.

DSCF9420_zpsjq1nzmvf.jpg

No paint on the people yet so they will follow another day

• Like 1

Right more clutter & people. Hows this for a start:

DSCF9446_zpsrrzwq6nj.jpg

DSCF9457_zpsrqtibhdy.jpg

DSCF9454_zps15po9jct.jpg

The equipment is USAF so has no place being in a Tonka HAS, but it fills up the space & will work nicely when I build something from the US. Needs some power leads & fuel cables, plus some weapons trolleys, but its a step forward.

## -just spotted the man who has fallen over behind the fire extinguisher!

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

This is looking really, really good. Hope you find the right figures your looking

for, can't have these American chaps taking over.

Sean

Yes, walking around with sunglasses & side arms, not on at all. Mind you, wearing sun glasses, falling over, perhaps it was the mess last night....

Thanks for the comments - I just enjoy setting it up & trying to make the pics look a bit more real as they go on. I think it will be a while before I can get it outside for some daylight shots though.

• Like 1

Loads of fun is this. It helps to make me consider doing some glue and paint stuff here too.

Yknow what I really like? The lights of all things, not that the rest is bad or anything, I just really like those - they look great and also set everything off so well.

• Like 1

Cheers RMP - the lights are old christmas tree lights, but proper small bulbs not leds & have quite a nice yellow-ish light. Also I painted the light shades yellow to make it more, well, yellow!

In terms of adding clutter to the HAS I though I would try 2 jets in there. Phantom at the back, Tornado at the front. Few more signs & bits plus a first go at plugging it in to ground power.

DSCF9475_zps9nfxbnad.jpg

DSCF9472_zpsqsetkwrt.jpg

• Like 6

That is looking so good now especially all the small touches coming together !!!

As you say, a bit more organised clutter with everything in its place and a place for everything !!!

Can't wait to see you mix it up with some more updated daylight and night time back grounds !!!

Nige

Cheers Nige - need some more warning signs & posters.The selection is growing. Maybe start on the racking found just inside the doors to the right as you look at them - certainly there by Tornado days anyway. Even seen container size storage in them.

Maybe the next shots should be outside with one in, one outside?

The selection of 1/48 cold war RAF jets keeps growing - too many or not enough?

DSCF9491_zpslggzwzib.jpg

I do fancy adding a Harrier and a Jag, maybe a Hawk.....

Is the Hunter a dinky thing or the Canberra a beast? Funny how the scale hits home sometimes.

You dont have a single Jaguar?? The horror! Im a bit biased, but I think that should be next, some on ebay for sensible money (Airfix) just hope you get a non warpy one...

I think in the photo the hunter looks smaller than it is and the Canberra looks bigger - but it is a beast & won't fit in the HAS (well maybe sideways)

It could be a Jag next. The Revell ones seem to be fairly cheap recently. I have always liked them & keep meaning to see the one at Bentwaters which seems to be coming along nicely.

Had a go at the 'one in, one out' shot indoors under normal room lights. Looks ok I think.

DSCF9502a_zpszjpfjhjh.jpg

DSCF9521a_zpspdvymgnz.jpg

DSCF9512_zpsvyfubrlz.jpg

The tornado is just visiting, but the phantom is at home. It would all look better outside in the sunshine.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

Cheers. There is still a lot of Blue Peter about it honestly! Must nearly be time to start building a new resident. Either that or more stored weapons & trolleys. Might take a breather and finish off a luft 46 1/72 build though.

Just thinking about the pre-HAS idea I had tonight, & got it out and set it up on the old HAS base. My idea was to build a 1/72 hanger to display a bunch of old & a few newer kits on. However this mock up just told me that real size of a 1/72 hanger was simply too big. I just built a non-scale first couple of inches of a made up hanger to see what would happen.

DSCF9522_zpsgsluuhqf.jpg

The idea was to have a rare or Luft 46 style build lurking at the back of a hanger. Anyway, these are some old builds, some as much as 20 years old.

DSCF9527_zpsjdnsxzcr.jpg

I have another build that I should carry on & finish some time soon - a Ho 229. Always liked them.

DSCF9530_zpsiz8csm1l.jpg

Have to say that obviously the 1/72 builds don't take up anywhere near the space!

• Like 1