Building a HAS

Second set of walls cut and lined and six pillars to support the roof beams made

iV19fa7.jpg

And that means I now have the main parts for a full length shed.  Still need a second front before I can have two short sheds.  Horizontal wall beams still needed, and lots of wall outside cladding too.  I picked up some new card for the roof too, and a string of leds for lighting too.  And some paint for the outside cladding.

WS0IWDe.jpg

I do like to be able to flat pack it, but I am not sure how much longer I can keep it like this.  My ideal would be a set up / dismantle approach, but I will see how it goes.

I quite like the beams all in white.  This is the look I am basing it on though

ct2v0p8pxfa61.jpg

That’s not me - would have been very cool to have been there though.  What do you think of the black / dark grey or is that dark brown beams?

With the new walls in place you get a sense of the full size shed

MVKJwJb.jpg

The beam supports are all done as are the roof beams

w6seM2R.jpg

The back wall is really for the short shed, so I need another back and another front. But I started on the side wall slats.  Slow work.....

gBsbplS.jpg

Another 3 to do plus building the front door & back wall.  

• Like 3

Got that side and the opposite side finished today.  I have made up a little test strip to try the paint finish on as well

GU3N6mx.jpg

Then I thought I would try out the lighting.  Picked up a strip of 20 leds & a battery pack a while back.  They will need properly fixing when I do the roof and they need some set of shade on them.  But this is a trial run with the temporary roof

ZVNvZhl.jpg

nS5o8SN.jpg

So let’s try it out with some equipment in the barn

kgigEwy.jpg

lights are a bit visible in this one.  A bit lower & closer in.

4JLrWJd.jpg

Xu2RpTz.jpg

And with the roof off this is the set up

eJUuW9f.jpg

its coming along ok I think

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got that side and the opposite side finished today.  I have made up a little test strip to try the paint finish on as well

GU3N6mx.jpg

Then I thought I would try out the lighting.  Picked up a strip of 20 leds & a battery pack a while back.  They will need properly fixing when I do the roof and they need some set of shade on them.  But this is a trial run with the temporary roof

ZVNvZhl.jpg

nS5o8SN.jpg

So let’s try it out with some equipment in the barn

kgigEwy.jpg

lights are a bit visible in this one.  A bit lower & closer in.

4JLrWJd.jpg

Xu2RpTz.jpg

And with the roof off this is the set up

eJUuW9f.jpg

its coming along ok I think

• Like 1

Right got a first coat of paint on the internal beams.  Dark brown.  Always a worry as water based paint and card tends to lead to soggy card, buckling and warping

BlJVpOQ.jpg

The plan for the outside was to paint the strips dark brown then almost dry brush over some lighter golden brown.  The gaps between would stand out due to the dark strips in between.  However the golden brown was a bit, well golden really.  So I tried a walk over with the dark brown.  The result is an effect that looks like wood cladding.  I think I might leave it like that.  I quite like it.  A wood clad barn may not be exactly prototypical, but it is exactly the kind of easy to put up structure that you would get on a US base.

BuHypBR.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers @danbuoy I suspect that the Beale sheds photos that have been mixed in with the Mildenhall ones online.  Either that or they were the same and have been covered in cladding in the UK.  Definitely going with the wood effect now.  You’ve provided all the justification I could need!

• Like 1

I always give my card constructions a good brushing of super glue.  Super glue turn the card stock into cement. And then a shot of primer.  This will keep the card stock firm and clean, and you can sand to shape.

Yes superglue on card is good @RichO, but I really should start using foam boards rather than card.  But buying the main materials goes against the whole starting idea of building stuff from scrap or cheap materials.  So I will put up with it this time.  It’s coming along though

axb7ddv.jpg

open end is done too 

VeKDSJ0.jpg

I haven’t started on the second barn / extension walls & beams painting yet.  Or strip cladding the extension walls, or building the second door end.  Have to build some doors too.

I did manage to get hold of some nice pre coloured card board to make the roof.  In fact enough for 2 roof sections.  

RmlctgH.jpg

I need to figure out how to put it all together soon.  Thread through the lights, think the roof beams will have to be permanently attached to the inside of the roof.  Then given that the building only has 3 walls (one removable) I am not sure it will stand without then being fixed together.  Well not with any strength anyway.  

• Like 2

Lots done today.  The walls are glued onto the front, the lights & roof beams are glued to the roof.  The first shed really just needs some lamp shades and a door.

Oh and the Gina got a primer coat too.

yuz2vCb.jpg

So two Dutch Vipers in the shed

NGckV4q.jpg

M9yPfUl.jpg

aBd6NkI.jpg

And as this is intended to one day be a Habu Hut it needs to hold things a little larger

XJCwgNw.jpg

dkh0GP6.jpg

gQMqaRg.jpg

Started the door too.  An interesting two part lifting affair.  Cladding has started

sNPE1yx.jpg

• Like 2

Nice pictures @philp yes front & back.  The plan is to build two halves, each with a front door.  When posed back to back they make one full length shed, otherwise they have a ‘back wall’ that is removable & lets them act as half depth  multipurpose sheds.  Been looking at the door tonight.  It interesting how the top door goes up above the lintel & the folded under bottom door comes up.  Had to be that way to allow clearance.  Checking my EF-111 earlier & the tail doesn’t have massive clearance with no door I think I will aim for the bottom door about at the lintel.

I think they had 12 in a row at Beale.  Just the two at the Hall though & still there and can be seen from the John’s Field campsite viewing area.  When we can go there again.  Now surrounded by the KC-135s which are just as impressive in their own right.

Zy0ik6n.jpg

• Like 2

Got another bit of lighting still to try.  Might not work but I will give it a go

So the doors got their strips on last night & cut in half this morning.  The fold horizontally and lift above the top door frame.

PZCtTb3.jpg

Top one should be a bit higher I think

AmTowlJ.jpg

Edging strips added & painted the insides white 

O6fJiy6.jpg

Then a couple of coats of paint.  Still too yellow

4DukxYW.jpg

Top coat of washed over brown & they will do

jqb94tP.jpg

I have some cut up paper lips to make the middle hinge.  My plan is 4 thin flat headed nails through from the inside to push the top door on to.  I will scratch up something to look a bit like the mechanism on the front.

Talking of pushing nails through from behind, I retained two leds behind the front wall above the doors

22lJfCr.jpg

You can see them here against the front panels.  Now one the real thing they have two lights on the outside front.  So I plan to box them in & cut two holes through.  Put a rectangular transparent plastic block in front & it’s should look ok.  The lights inside could do with some form of lampshade too.

One the aircraft building side, got these two kits from eBay delivered today

AGW0YZN.jpg

So that’s  a Bitburg Eagle & either. 56 or 74 Sqn Phantom.  Like I don’t have enough

• Like 2

Lots done today.  Well feels like it anyway.  The door hinges dried overnight so I added the rods to attach it to the building. I decided against nails & went for telephone wire.  It’s thin, and bends and stays in place

AtvP6xS.jpg

And fitted with some plates to look like the mechanism.  Two holes for the lights on the front

zjRuUXK.jpg

And behind you can see the wires bent over at 90 degrees holding it on.  I built two boxes to cover the front leds inside

UBJbLMg.jpg

Now the plan has always been to have two parts.  This is the back end.  Still needs its own door.  But it is tempting to paint the roof trusses & supports for inside viewing but leave the outside unpainted.  A second floor end would only need an inside to match the existing one.  And a roof.  Probably not even lighting.

5PRJNzY.jpg

hSl9VWN.jpg

Anyway I will have a bit of a break before that & finish off the Gina & maybe that US tanker.

So some sunshine this afternoon meant outside photos

QPg89vR.jpg

Borrowed the HAS base.  Might do an RFI on the diorama section too

Ht3wQ12.jpg

And even managed to get out for a walk over by Wattisham.  No non essential journeys involved as it is just down the road.  Lots of Apaches up today - between 4 & 5 in the air.

obuEdUA.jpg

Headed back as the sun was going down

ub1hNuZ.jpg

• Like 3

Did an RFI for the barn.  

And back on with the Gina today.  Priming done & preshaded

ZWoKO8E.jpg

And taped up ready to put the orange on.  White first then this fetching spray can

upxTibP.jpg

I sprayed the underside grey first, so this is how she looks waiting for grey / green camo

CX0qz4R.jpg

Been looking at the new FGR2 kit & thinking about what to build her as.  Wattisham 56 Sqn red tail is high on the list, but checking through the decals box I have 74 Sqn Tiger black tail, 19 Sqn Wildenrath, and 92 Sqn. It’s going to be a grey Phantom and I already have one 92 Sqn twin stick and a 74 Sqn F-4J (UK)

kAhBm6S.jpg

But I was wondering about back dating her to a grey tail 80s edition like this

MAP-Kodak-COPY-slide-Phantom-FGR2.jpg

I will have a think.  Not planning to start her for some time anyway

Checked this morning & the Gina needed orange on the wings too.

oEVPzsR.jpg

So taped up and on to camo

pZyioOa.jpg

Rushing things as usual is this is how she is doing tonight

wgPWnA5.jpg

Still needs the seat & canopy frame painting and the anti glare back in front of the cockpit.  I think I will try to get the wheels in tonight so they can dry & harden up over night.  By the way that wing orange does match the nose & tail, it’s just the lighting!

• Like 2

The Gina got her wheels last night and her anti glare strip today.  I painted the seat and canopy, plus fitted the wheel bay doors and pylons.  She desperately needs a flat coat (that orange reflects so much it looks red!) so on to decals tomorrow and then get that flat coat done

YkXVZ92.jpg

1PmI4Jf.jpg

• Like 1

Decals on today & she has come to life.  Lawyers a dodgy time with an old kit & decals but hopefully these will settle down ok

1keN471.jpg

UAovDj3.jpg

If everything is good I will give her a flat coat tomorrow & might well try some white pastel over the orange to tone it down a bit

Dug out her replacement too

hQHyguL.jpg

Have to say the Alpha Jet is fairly tiny but the Gina equally little.  Going to look tiny when I dig out the Phantom

• Like 4

Cheers @desert falcon the Gina has been one of those builds.  Not promising when you open the box, simple build if a bit basic, then painted.  I thought she looked a bit plain with the paint on.  But the decals have really brought her to life.  With the Phantom I guess I just need a Starfighter now.  Although a Marine Tornado with a grey top & white underneath is also tempting...

• Like 1

Calling the Gina done.  I will put together an RFI for her but couldn’t resist getting the Luftwaffe gang together.  Interestingly the orange paint was not happy being over sprayed with the Humbrol matt varnish.  It went pale & almost cracked, but the effect helps the faded look you would expect, so not all bad

5bEqWdz.jpg

I thought I would have a goat the Skunkworks tanker next.  While getting the kit from the garage I passed the Step Van sitting there.  So I picked up the Dremel and started cutting.

9RpMCCV.jpg

Marked the area to cut & started on the sides

QFsD7Ek.jpg

And this is how she looks now

6H9Zupt.jpg

New nose to go on, new deeper main front window frames and new deeper side triangular windows. Only one side smoothed down so far but you get the idea.  Thought this would make a nice double build

• Like 2