Building a HAS

Looking at the kit decals, they are for 12 Sqn & 208 sqn.  Both moved to Lossie from Honington.  I wonder if the markings changed at all?  208 were still at Honington in 1983, I think 12 moved around 81 when the Tornados arrived.  So either would count as Honington builds

• Like 2

After all I have read about the buccaneer kit I was a bit worried about what I would get.  It seems I didn’t have much to worry about.  Nice crisp recessed panel lines.  Yes there is a bit of poor fit & warping, but not in the class of an ESCI F-5.

I am not planning on starting it yet, but I couldn’t resist having a look at it

r0xxJxY.jpg

Just a bit of masking tape.  I am sure the intakes & exhausts will be tricky, but all in all a pleasant surprise 

Go through a couple of Bucc builds on here before you cut any plastic. Make notes!

Sticking vacform style tabs to the fuselage joint line is a must.

Learn new swear words. Or make up your own as you go along.

9 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Go through a couple of Bucc builds on here before you cut any plastic. Make notes!

Sticking vacform style tabs to the fuselage joint line is a must.

Learn new swear words. Or make up your own as you go along.

Sounds something like the ESCI Alpha a Jet or an Italeri Phantom...

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2020 at 2:50 PM, bar side said:

And before I can consider the A-26 I got an eBay win.  To go with my RAF grey / green collection.  So far I have:

Lightning

Hunter

Harrier GR3

Tornado GR1

Jaguar GR1

Hawk

Phantom

Hercules

So only one major model available in grey / green.  Been after it for a while

Forgot the Canberra PR9...

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of that. Really wish Skunkmodels did 1/72 versions of their kits though. That tractor and their R11 refueller would be on my wants list if they did!

Yes just been looking at an R11 refuelled - 1/48 for me - but £30 plus postage is still steep.  It seems that their production runs are a bit short & most ground equipment production stopped a while ago.  Mind you in 1/72 you get a lot more ground equipment from Hasegawa

HAS35006__12215.1459546865.jpg?c=2

I had to scratch build a lighting rig like this one. And that van would be nice in 1/48

cc5e2aaf98d71eea2ea3767d3708f336.image.9

Yes, got both of those in the stash, they look like really good sets, and the van is very nicely detailed. I know they don't do the van in 1/48, but don't Hasegawa do at least one ground equipment and/or figures set in that scale?

There is definitely more ground equipment available in 1/72, but the lack of a suitable USAF refueller in this scale leaves a gap in the market.

I’ve got the ESCI & Hasegawa ground crew sets plus a scratch lighting unit (that does light up) and a couple of converted vehicles

a0yhyc2.jpg

It’s just stuff like this that would be good

NyoY1Ui.jpg

That is where I got the lighting unit idea.  These are at the Bentwaters Cold War Museum

z0W43pY.jpg

Got the Unimog now too

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well the RF-4E build is coming to an end - just FOD covers & rbf tags and she can be posed with the HAS.  Now should I do Wattisham visitor with an RAF FGR2 in the HAS or Alconbury with a USAF RF-4C in the HAS?

And then what next?  Trying to decide.  This is not all of the stash but the next most likely builds

EVYOzy8.jpg

Could carry on the Luftwaffe theme with the Gina, or follow @Lord Riot with the Weasel.  I would like to do the tug but need some paint.  Then there is the Islander. Kit looks great.  Includes etch detail.  Temptation to fit lights & motors too.  Resisting the temptation to dive in to the Buccaneer at the moment....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Phantoms are always good, though that Islander looks interesting. I always thought they were Army not RAF.

They were but not any more

https://www.pilotweb.aero/news/raf-islanders-upgraded-1-6220461

I was originally thinking of the Red Devil’s Islander that was always about at airshows.  I am sure that I did see an after market set of decals too, but then they released this nice grey one.  The kit does look very nice & modern but I have not built a Valom kit before

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally opened the tow truck kit & put a few bits together.  I didn’t realise that you get 2 trucks in the set.  Result!

Basic shape together ok

7AQXEUp.jpg

will let it dry & give it a primer & coat of yellow.  Was wondering about doing the other one green

Turned the little Harlan yellow.  Something cute about it.  No tires yet but sitting her on her rims

xI9IsFS.jpg

She will get a wash down to pick out the radiator & name before the rest goes together.  I do fancy doing the other one in green.  Plus the tow bar & weapons trolley still to do

• Like 2

I see the sickness continues!  I love all the small surface equipment vehicles.  very nice.  Give us a big overall photo sometime, of everything together.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers @RichO yes new tug or two, new trolley.  I fancy a new tanker too when one come up for a reasonable price.  The builds are backing up but I seem to get less & less time on them.  Oh well maybe better time in the next few weeks

Well the little tow truck is up on her wheels.  Bit of a weathered wash to pick out the name and grill.  It would have been pretty grubby all over I am sure.  Couple of bits still to do but you get the idea

fUQdBSQ.jpg

xVxj6nb.jpg

locking pins and rear lights still to go on but think she is ok

• Like 1

That's a nice little tow tractor and great that you get two in the box. Definitely green for the other one! Humbrol 163? Been going through a lot of that lately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danbuoy said:

That's a nice little tow tractor and great that you get two in the box. Definitely green for the other one! Humbrol 163? Been going through a lot of that lately.

Oh yes 163.  It comes out all sorts of shades if you mess about with different primers.  

I find dark grey vs light grey primer gives different finishes.  Can try white & black too.  Maybe even yellow.  I did my Tornado with Humbrol 64 over everything, but a mix of greys & white panels underneath.  You can get 163 looking pretty olive in some cases and more green in others.  I have mainly used rattle cans from Poundland etc for grey primers, which tend to be a bit darker.  They don’t go very far, but for £1......

• Thanks 1

Got a little eBay win in the post today.  Three F-16s in a box.  Two ESCI & one Monogram.  No decals & no idea if there are enough bits for 3 complete models.  All are F-16A models.  
WjaepvX.jpg

So what to do with them?  Well I have built an ESCI A model before and it’s not the worst kit.  Surface detail but F-16s are not massively panelled.  

ewljCew.jpg

Colours on that one might not be quite right.  So I thought I would do a Belgian A, and then try to convert one to a C model (check the exhaust, new tail feathers) and finish it as a Spangdahlem Weasel.

• Confused 1