Building a HAS

There are some photos about showing the demolition of the hardened shelters at Alconbury.  Not sure if they give you any clues as to the build & reinforcing of the concrete.  These would be larger versions with the external doors

alconbury17.jpg

I assume the early version you are talking about are the clam shell doors type

12.jpg

Whereas the RAF version followed the later version with different external structures, but similar inside.  I think the ventilation ducting at the back is unique to the RAF.

visit-mrm-tornadohas.jpg

Edited by bar side

Brief Herc update.  I wasn’t sure if the motors I have got would be up to the job so I drilled a small hole in to the back of one of the prop drive shafts - looks like they will be ok

bNg6DBy.mp4

might be running in reverse in this clip though!

Edited by bar side

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Reverse thrust! Nice!

Whilst I appreciate that perhaps all this isn't really modelling, it's going to be very impressive.

Well I wouldn’t call much of my modelling particularly of the highest order, I think the ramp operation for the Herc is going to be hand of god.  I would rather have a go at building the flaps open (inspired by the great work by tomproberts on his B-52). So may just be lights & props hopefully with the Arduino providing the power & sequencing

And the other distraction arrived this week.  10,000 rivets in close formation indeed.  Sanger Avro Shackleton.

yWHsFWW.jpg

Vacform, white metal, lots to keep me busy.  And no @Kirk I haven’t considered cheap remote control helicopters as a source for contra rotating props to be powered.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bar side said:

And the other distraction arrived this week.  10,000 rivets in close formation indeed.  Sanger Avro Shackleton.

yWHsFWW.jpg

Vacform, white metal, lots to keep me busy.  And no @Kirk I haven’t considered cheap remote control helicopters as a source for contra rotating props to be powered.

Ooooo I have this one in the stash now need the time to build😀

On 2/1/2020 at 2:22 PM, LorenSharp said:

Ooooo I have this one in the stash now need the time to build😀

Not seen many built.  Got to pester @tomprobert about his AEW build as his result looks great.  Still deciding what to build it as.  

Could go MR3 with tricycle undercarriage.  Made an impression on me a Duxford as a kid.  Not long retired when I first saw it.

Avro_Shackleton_-_Duxford_(11620672113).
She was always there with the Victor B1, TSR2, et al

Or could go MR2 tail dragger as per the example at Coventry - she does look good

amSb3fOzYkymZ_1ZwSuGbVgx02XRzIV2JhEcZHPQ

Or could go with the AEW version that isn’t the kit & I haven’t got decals for.  But I did see the AEWs flying.  They didn’t retire until the 91 I think, so would have been active at the same time as most of my builds, unlike the MRs that retired in the early 70s

avro-shackleton-1568883.jpg

I guess the AEW was just the MR2 with the ex-Gannett radar fitted, so just that to scratch.  And let’s face it, this is a vacform kit so what is one more bit to scratch build?

Anyway, all three have their pros & cons and have the Herc to do first.  Plenty of time to ponder

Edited by bar side

4 minutes ago, bar side said:

Ah, yes, thank @bentwaters81tfw I had forgotten about Icelandic Fine Arts.  Never sure if they have a website or how you get in touch.  But I remember the Gannett going on sale & being interested but without funds

[email protected]

Seems like I remember  someone doing a ASW radome for a 1/48 B-17 Shape is similar, not sure if size is correct. This bears further investigation. The game as they say is afoot.

18 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Did find it, not sure if its the right size bar side, heres the link for you

http://resin2detail.com/new-release-anaps-20-search-radar-for-monogramrevell-b-17-g/

That does look about right.  I never realised that B-17s were fitted out like that.  In the UK we used navy aircraft to carry them - Skyraiders and then the lovely looking Gannett

36791117826_73f740e010_b.jpg

In fact it was the radar from retired Gannetts that were fitted to spare MR2 Shackleton airframes as an interim solution that only lasted 20 years

We had left over Lincolns that took over maritime reconnaissance and developed into the Shack.  Thankfully some B-17s ended up with the French for mapping services & one of those found its way back to the UK, giving us Sally B still flying on the air show circuit today

I always wondered how Sally B ended up in the UK. I figured it was a leftover from some movie done in the 50's 60's that never never made it back home to the US. I do remember Martin Caiden part of a 3 plane flight in the early 60's that came to the uk to film "The War Lover" starring Steve McQueen. One those didn't make it back Received some type of damage during filming and was abandoned?scrapped in place.

Didn’t know about that one, but I remember when they filmed the Memphis Belle at Duxford & Binbrook in 1990. 2 B-17s from the US, 2 from France and Sally B.  The Pink Lady survived but F-BEEA was written off in a take off crash & fire.  The Pink Lady is still in France as far as I know

Living right in the middle of the Eight Airforce territory is quite interesting.  Nearby to me are plenty of war time B-17 and B-24 airfields - Great Ashfield, Bury St Edmunds, Honnington, Lavenham, Sudbury and many more.  The nearest is Rattlesden - great main runway there still

QHwabvd.jpg

And I make it to the 100th bomb group at Thorpe Abbott’s quite a bit as a mate has a place near there

DaDzwOa.jpg

Not to mention Wattisham, but that was a P-51 / P-47 base

• Like 3