Building a HAS

So i was all set to start the F-4G and then I thought its summer time, longer evenings to get on with things, why not start on the TSR2?

• Like 1

Not checked in for a while and I see you're still producing great models at quite a pace. Between you and Lord Riot, you're building all the kits that I just 'plan' to build. You're living my dream!

Still very envious of that HAS as well. I took loads of photos of one when I was in Cornwall earlier in the year, but that's the sum of my progress to date. You couldn't possibly tell me the rough dimensions of the HAS could you? I'm just wondering if I could build one in the loft and be able to actually get it down through the hatch if necessary.

Brave move on the vac form too. I guess you've already demonstrated with your Dominie that you'll do a good job on such a scratch type build.

Edited by Filler
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Filler said:

You couldn't possibly tell me the rough dimensions of the HAS could you?

It occurs to me that you could actually get a fairly accurate length and breadth by going on Bing maps or Google maps, heading to, say, Boscombe Down and using the measurement tools that are included in the mapping page. Good enough for government work maybe.

This approach can't help you with height though. :)

Kirk.

@Filler thank you for your kind wards.  Go for it with the HAS, I did consider only making the doors in 3D originally and posing aircraft in front of them.  Kirk is right about measuring up your chosen prototype from google maps, and I have standard measurements including height on a spreadsheet, if I can just remember if it is on a laptop or cloud drive.  I will have a look & see what I can dig up

• 2 weeks later...

TSR2 is progressing & taking up all the time at the moment.  It’s the most scratch building I have done for a while & got to say it’s enjoyable.  Looking forward to seeing it in the HAS - I believe that they were designed to hold TSR2s or F-111s.  Makes sense - interceptors on QRA and bombers in the HAS.  V bombers out on the field in the open must have been an easy target

• 4 weeks later...

Been thinking about what should come after the current TSR2 build & the urge is back to build something for the diorama.  I need to finish off the control tower hand rails & steps, so got thinking about even more steps

Upper-Heyford-2-Hanger-3.jpg

As seen at Upper Heyford & other sites, as well as in Germany on USAF bases.  Nothing like that on RAF bases as far as I can see.

I already have a vehicle shed, another option would be a standard WW2 concrete building as seen to the right in this shot at Bentwaters

jCUTqRXGE4AMD4hwXyon3IQZOJdZr06Vjdd2Yz3I

Going bigger, I would love a maintanence shed like the one in Phillippe’s model of Spangdahlem

img_4912.jpg

But I don’t think there was anything like that at UK bases.  Most seemed to use T2 hangars but I don’t really want to go that big.  Suggestions welcome!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RichO said:

Ummm.......Steps and hand rails!!!!!!!!  I can't wait.  Have fun!

Hi Rich how are you doing?  Your crawler had more than it’s fair share of steps & rails!  Quite a few on your launch dio too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just read this thread all the way through, and it’s very interesting and informative. For the diorama as a whole, have built a grassed baseboard for *everything* to go on, or does each building/ section have it’s own base which then all slot together?

Hi @DalekCheese thank you for taking the time.  I have built it up bit by bit and there are various baseboards in various states but as I don’t have it set up permanently the are assembled in whatever order I need them.  And if they get in too bad state and I find a good replacement I just make up a new board.  Once the control tower gets finished I think that will need its own base, as would any other towers.  Or maybe a maintenance hangar, or QRA shed with a detachable base.  More than slightly jealous of guys who do have the space, but mustn’t grumble!

• 1 month later...

Talk about neglecting this thread.  Got all caught up with building a vacform TSR2 and haven’t been posting here.  Anyway, the TSR2 is done.  She needs to visit the HAS as I guess they have a strange relationship.  As far as I can figure out the RAF HAS bases were built to protect the Cold War bombers and fighters.  TSR2 was planned to be the main bomber, replacing the V Bombers which were clearly too big for hardened shelters.  And the HAS dimensions seem to fit her quite nicely.  Only snag is that the TSR2 project was cancelled in 1965 and the HASes were mainly built around the late 70s.  Although at that time Tornado was still in development and the HASes mainly housed Phantoms and Buccaneers.

But for a possible scenario, my TSR2 is XR222, an early production prototype that never actually flew.  She was one of only 2 that didn’t get scrapped as she was moved to Cranfield, before finally ending up at Duxford in 1979.  Cranfield and Duxford don’t have HASes.  So let’s suppose she was stored after leaving Cranfield and before arriving at Duxford.  She was incomplete on arriving at Cranfield so let’s say the RAF stored her at Honnginton and let the techies there tidy her up before arriving at Duxford.  And at Honnington they kept her undercover in a HAS while working on her.  Works for me.  Finally puts the TSR2 in the home I feel was designed for her.

Anyway, here she is outside.  

HTZj8V6WjaUZsN6c0iWzHRaMVMdt-dQsPCnsl7s0

And the RFI / WIP link is

In practical terms the HAS is currently in the loft & will stay there until my kitchen rebuild finishes, so I will pose her with it when I get a chance.

So what next?  I think a nice little ESCI Alpha Jet but that needs a total describe as the surface panel lines look pretty chunky on the neat little Alpha Jet.  Or maybe a Spangdahlem F-4G Weasel - ordered some decals for a Euro One scheme.  Or more work on buildings?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What? A kitchen rebuild without an integrated HAS? Does Mrs Barside not realise that these are so on trend right now? It may not be too late! That granite work surface could be upgraded to a realistic concrete apron at almost no additional cost and that 2nd oven could give way to the (highly desirable) HAS itself. Just think what you could do to the value and desirability of the property with these small enhancements alone!!

ps/ More buildings/vehicles please. They're great.

Edited by Kirk
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Kirk Mrs Barside has never really developed and attachment to the HAS.  She tolerates it’s existence at best!

still have kitchen tiling to do before the modelling can resume, but my next few aircraft builds are lining up

-dlgXfhg39eBY_pMoqwBgev5fjnJn1epHG2AGYFQ

was going to do a FB group build of intelligence & countermeasures aircraft.  Can’t really decide which to start on.

• Like 1

Yep TR1 box.  Saw one fly at a Mildenhall show years back (could have been a U2R, but they are very similar & I was quite young!) and fancied making one for a while.  Got some decals on order for 01092 which was at least spotted around the UK.  No tail codes for them so tricky to work out which were Alconbury birds 

1307676-large.jpg

Decided it’s time to open up the TR-1 box & cut out some plastic.  The kit looks good - shot of the sprues and the new decals

rKrv2fF3o_t-6ozqXa987tMPJZTt1KBcyNz-sZhp

Daft thing to say but she is a big wingspan bird.  Surprised me quite how big.  Here with an F-16 for comparison

rRMTAi_PPitGSLZIpmXmeNU-Q_2xfmVtireqqGFe

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kirk said:

Yep, I think you're going to need a bigger HAS... :D

Was wondering about some new big doors & just hide the old HAS behind it. You might not be able to tell!

So can’t quite decide if this is going to be a U-2R or a TR-1.  I am sure I saw a U-2R flying at Mildenhall years ago, although apparently the newer TR-1s were more common in Europe.  But externally I gather there is no real difference.  Mainly the internal power supply was different.  And the decal set has tail codes for both.