Building a HAS

Yeah that'd be perfect! Certainly is useful living close to an RAF base for added authenticity. Are you enlarging the pictures yourself or are you going to get them printed out?

Yes, just down the road to Wattisham, bit further up to Honington. Watched KC135 climb over head at work from Mildenhall today (more recently has been C130s circling) plus Lakenheath a bit further away. Not like it was but still stuff about.

Was going to go for 2/3 landscape A4 prints, with the image softened down a bit. Either print them on laser or inkjet - inkjet would make the page rather soggy on normal A4.

• Like 1

Tried the A4 landscape photo print out today - ok but the joins in the sheets shows up a bit. Might be better in brighter lighting and could do with being taller (or the HAS shorter!)

Quick pic:

DSCF8973_zpsrhys7tpm.jpg

Another one:

DSCF8969-2_zpsfqz3c9pf.jpg

The background is actually Bentwaters and a shot I found on Flickr.

Yes, just down the road to Wattisham, bit further up to Honington. Watched KC135 climb over head at work from Mildenhall today (more recently has been C130s circling) plus Lakenheath a bit further away. Not like it was but still stuff about.

Was going to go for 2/3 landscape A4 prints, with the image softened down a bit. Either print them on laser or inkjet - inkjet would make the page rather soggy on normal A4.

Ah, the skies over York are quieter than they used to be. Used to get a lot of Linton on Ouse trainers (Tucano and Jet Provost) over us. I also remember seeing a lot of F15s at one time, once so low you could almost read the pilot's nameplate!

That background looks more convincing than the photoshopped one, really great work! Do you mind if I have a play with the images see what I can do?

Go for it matt - I've had a little play with them too & smoothed the join a bit. Might be better with paint.net than ms paint that I am using

Thanks, I've given it a quick go. Let me know what you think of them :)

Barside1_zps8ckiioii.jpg

Barside2_zpsdmw6egfq.jpg

• Like 3

They look good matt - what software were you using? Got a real 1970s feel somehow & not just because of the jet

It's Picasa from Google. It's a fairly basic photo editing programme, but you can be quite creative with it. I've used the "retouch" tool to merge the edge of the tarmac of the diorama into the background and to hide the join, I also altered the shadow and highlight intensity. Finally I added the "Cinemascope" filter. I'm still messing about with it to be honest so thank you for letting me use your images!

Here's a more 70s version:

Barside1-001_zps1bvjxpkt.jpg

Just need a nice plastic photo cube to keep it in now. Mind you those colours look like they were taken with a polaroid, so they will fade pretty quickly!

I did use Picasa about 3 pcs ago but it had a nasty habit of trying to restructure all of my photo storage. Probably got better since then. May try paint.net at home - its on my work laptop & seems to have more capability than I have used so far

• Like 1

It still wants to rearrange your pictures *and* upload them to a Google server. It's really easy to turn these options off though if you don't fancy signing your snaps over to Google...

• 1 month later...

Trying a night time shot here with both the phantoms and the landy:

DSCF9259_zpsuywuruff.jpg

Visit from the Mirage:

DSCF9265_zpsn37kltqj.jpg

And a new boy on the block:

DSCF9269_zpsbzhjynbe.jpg

Not going to do a build for the Tornado - its an old Esci kit & pretty poor. I will see how it comes out, but every good HAS needs a tonka surely.

• Like 1

I also learned from the BBC that Laser Guided Bombs may also be called "dumb bombs", since they do not have the accuracy of a Brimstone missile - which creates an explosion the size of a small dining table and therefore avoids any collateral damage.

It's incredible what a conscientous journalist can do to further your understanding, eh? I'm guessing that something in the marvellous 48:1 shrinking machine has altered the way in which facts interact with news.

Kirk

PS/ Whoever made those Tornado models should be congratulated. They look almost real. Is one of those your ESCI one BarSide?

PPS/ Nice stills Nige!!!!!

I am sure I have seen footage of more tornados than we actually have operational these days!

Those stills are great thanks Nige

Yes it's the iffy esci gr1. Coming together quite nicely I think but it's not exactly a highly detailed or accurate kit. More of a fun build & not stressing about it. Stalled now though as my green rattle can has run out

Edited by bar side

• 3 weeks later...

Not a gr4, but the gr1 is coming along. Its not a great standard of build but its starting to look at home:

DSCF9324_zpsszaguvyz.jpg

Its held together with tape - hence the join lines & some unpainted bits. I tried to take a picture outside as its dry, but you would never guess this is in daylight. Very dark & a bit damp yesterday. Need a good clear & sunny day really, then the shadow makes it look more real.

• Like 1