Building a HAS

Few GR5 bits.  Plus for the dorsal sensors are in.  Will fill around these once the fuselage is together

VQ4Y3QXFdv4o7zi9Z5H32y4EZFZbAAUWXFfM3svi

Airbrake bay is in & I have aided the US flare dispenser proud of the surface so that I can box it in with some plasticard to give the UK shape

esfnElQhqHPbgvBRr_P_zoo7i2Wu7pcPyKvPTkov

And cockpit is in on one side - let everything dry then close up the fuselage

t9OWjC5VggVmdkSLV_2jOZmTd9N7_YwAWiSnZjaV

Happy Christmas everyone.  Hope you all had a good time.

back to a few minutes on the Harrier today.  Test fitted the canopy to ensure the seat doesn’t foul it.  And to check the centre of gravity.  Both seem ok thankfully

QJFDDowxDqMrdGr9eELSBYrd7kwPFY6_omKg4c7X

c3PmQMwS48KVXKg2Wm1qZwXawjntNs_27c8yIUsa

• Like 1

Think the nose needs a bit more of a v profile underneath, so bit more sanding to do

Aeroguide%2026%20BAe%20Harrier%20GR_Page

Smoothed in the tail antenna and added the boxing for the flare dispenser.  Needs filling around the edges

k_DkepJyKbfErIQKBXkKpEF8XO0RZFxmRBE_1mF5

You can just see it ahead of the open airbrake

Aeroguide%2026%20BAe%20Harrier%20GR_Page

Edited by bar side

Bit of filler around the flare dispenser to smooth it in.  You can see the dorsal antenna too.

PaC2fe3VOJndnOKBJ5ZPTcLTqPQ71DLxEtDsEGwo

And a bit more filler & shaping in the nose

e-kmshNkanknXFYH2Xz6w70q_bgtQ4k_8kg4CTyG

Not sure the shape is quite right yet

52sJhjRUlboqHqNbSkkdGo9Mu0StAkdiRoDSosrx

11 hours ago, Kirk said:

Proper model making. :thumbsup:

There's actually a much sharper transition to the upward sloping (aft end) of the GR5 nose. You've shown it as being quite rounded and "aerodynamic-looking", but (surprisingly) it wasn't.

Kirk

Not easy to find a shot from underneath a GR5 nose looking forward to see the back of the lump!  Yes, had guessed it was pretty sharp & I think the front is a touch to deep & the whole thing needs to be a bit straighter on the bottom.  Bit more filler later & see how it looks

2 hours ago, bar side said:

Not easy to find a shot from underneath a GR5 nose looking forward to see the back of the lump!  Yes, had guessed it was pretty sharp & I think the front is a touch too deep & the whole thing needs to be a bit straighter on the bottom.

If you have the Tim McLelland book there's a profile drawing on page 211.

Doesn't look too deep (as in towards the ground) but may be a tad too long and in need of a little more material on the fwd edge? What stands out to me in your picture is the concave curve on the aft edge and the quite tight radius into that.

"Microwave Infra-Red Line Scan" (MIRLS) I think it was that was supposed to go in there but went the way of the 25mm Aden guns. I assume the detectors must have been some kind of near rectangular-shaped thingies set at a narrow V angle then faired around as best they could. You'd have thought that concave bit would cause a whole load of turbulence but what I know about trans-sonic aerodynamics you could write in marker pen on the back of a microdot. 

Been working on that nose shape. Got some liquid green on it now to smooth it in.  I tried out the paint I got and saline’s that I picked up the wrong dark green.  It should be NATO green on top and lichen green underneath.  Instead I got Tamiya olive drab & a Humbrol grass green.  This how they look - artificial light rather than daylight I am afraid

RbqB79J74P_v0aRYScIcEKStMdH78XxWetroaobQ

• Like 1

Tried out the paint today - think it looks ok. Lots still to do.  Even the wing is balanced on.  No refusing probe yet either

ZkeckP6c5gR3tDymVt3cOj6esfbLxVKW08ZP9DNg

hkO1dEcOQh2koMRwqAAhUJ5ytoEpqBQM_MF2wPEX

tH46sq2juh6zCjeFwFQ81HL1T5zuqEthRDDtS6mH

no Jet nozzles, canopy frame not yet painted, etc, etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Okdoky said:

Happy New Year

I need to spend some time checking back on your builds as not been on in ages !

Hope life is good and build work is going well !

All the best

Nige

Happy New Year to you too Nige.  All good here.  Having to run the heater in the garage today to spray, but that’s about the only issue!  Hope things are good with you.

More Harrier progress - getting towards decal time I think.

First bit is the tail with dorsal antenna and different lumps on the far back end

ddmPnfkzWRTPOoI_AdTbR5brDU7tFDxjXIhWjLzf

Outriggers fixed on - should have sanded done that seem on the bay door before painting & fixing it on

8KbE_v2f9rhjOqsqpeEMK_UtUD_RurCDqXBjy1if

Refueling probe on & yellow canopy edges

8IJrSbfyPSrahl3RqXT44k2k9nnCTgzxImVK5WM4

And test fit of the pylons.  Found two spare pylons from a Hawk that may become the extra GR-5 pylon in front of the outrigger bays

iH9XMOBLFcoYve6njOb2ah8ia63StplTcQSXCCQJ

So so all in all coming together.  Still haven’t glued the wing in place yet!

It’s getting that way @Kirk 😀. Few more bits yet though.  Good tip on the pitots need a bit of daylight to see them properly.  Looking forward to dusting off the GR-3 from the loft to compare them.

Test fit of the pylons, plus the new UK fit extra pylon.  All held in place with blutac for now plus a rail & the kit sindwinders.  Going to put the under wing decals on before fitting the pylons, then attach the wing & then fit the dorsal arial - otherwise I will knock it off.

UwNI8GVwCk-n2Xzjft3LpipT8pDq8Pki1N5Zqh0n

She has her identity at last - XD401 of 3 Sqn.  Most of the decals are on, the pylons are attached, as is the wing & the dorsal antenna.  Needs a final bit here & there plus a sealing coat os clear.  Otherwise she is about done.

6JZpJfw9ZyLmI0wJN1Of550mDxhlpOMZckyGDg1o

A-YjjXXtIwNjV6_j4tsWPxG5_ml6CU_XezXW7CJ3

CkJGbDkXVfx-T6xKaJJpzzFXYMZKZkQaD1xpeS76

• Like 1