Building a HAS

But I until I start thinking about lighting units or more for my F-27 scratch build, which one of these kits next?

VnBynpJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The F-16 would be done as a WR Bentwaters bird, the Lynx as a pre Gulf War machine and the Kfir?  No idea really, just always liked them & got it as part of a 2 kit deal on eBay.  I have history with Kfirs - one converted 1/72 Mirage years ago, one 1/72 kit and I tried to convert a 1/32 Mirage V without success.  All done when I was a teenager.

Quick photo linking test

rsAaSVWSuiIqMrqgNzSQt1UHWHbOZQPXJyb6fh_k

Let me know if you can see this.  I put all of my pics on google photos, so rather than uploading them to another hosting site I wondered if I could directly link them.    Huge long url but hopefully th setting are such that the pic can be shared

• Like 1

Cheers @Kirk - yes took the pic in the back garden & couldn’t get the sunlight & back scene to line up.  I was thinking all along that I would do the F-16 next but the Lynx would be more interesting

32 minutes ago, Kirk said:

And (working) lighting units would fit right in.

Just been looking & it appears no one does an NF-2 Floodlight Set in 1/48.  1/32, 1/72, 1/144 yes, but not 1/48.  So that will be a scratch job then.  Might as well make a couple while I am at it.  Trickiest bit is making trolley wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

So thanks to the excellent folk at the Bentwaters Cold War Museum I have some dimensions for the lighting unit.  I asked & they went out at the weekend & photographed and measured the NF-2 unit - both the photos and measurements are invaluable.  So scaling them down to 1/48 it looks a bit like this

4_ycwxdVzo1iZgaEespQoY_q1-g5TRuBHCW8aLSk

So now to find a lump of wood & cut it to shape

• Like 1

So starting the lighting unit.  Was going to use hardwood & cut it with my new toy

tuUeSM0OHpZnXl-eLxnOpYXTaN5aPgeDSEvRKh1a

However it turns out some balsa wood I have is the right height, so sticking some together may work.  With a measure up very kindly supplied by Bentwaters Cold War Museum, I started cutting.  First go looks like this

SBTt7YmM4mUj9uFRlWtAmdt25VKqq5Ecf9X85_RF

Bit of work on the floodlights.  Double scissor frame cobbled together & leds tested on the current make shift platform

qYcKMEiKk78vS_whwM7oXAX3hGEyySrZ-ZiLU4Nu

And the battery behind is a clue - lights on

R4hJMhPC7DawDH38QNaD8eIKcYLQAADDdJ7k6bgg

The balsa wood now has a skim of p38 filler to toughen it & smooth the surface.  I am wondering if I can hot glue gun the lamp surrounds on & tuck the wires from sight.  The power can then run through the metal scissors to avoid lots of clutter.  Get that all to work & then I can look at details - panels, tow bars, wheels, raising mechanism et al.

in the mean time I got a new kit through the post, possibly pushing the Lynx start back.  It’s a Harrier - well actually is an AV-8 at the moment but will become an RAF Harrier eventually.  Got some decals too

TXxryAnrAU0-duDv7Xn2uJqb42PlpWanHFgCvwDi

DdKwOYZt8TcUamhp6u0usLW-hi_IACCEuwFaYI5U

@Kirk - it’s another Harrier

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Bit more work on the flood light unit.  Some edges, doors, handles etc

BLQCQy2Hgf_HhBpcB-tvpked-Wut3Szg8A_1anFF

Represenation of the screw thread for the scissor action across the top.  Need some wheels and a tow bar then some paint

PbQFMFhfV4WJJQHgcfLGIGK7DpyuU-yL8WbuQSMA

its not perfect - the lights & platform are a bit chunky, but it’s scene setting & extra lighting for night shoots, so I think it will do the job

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Kirk said:

(Unlit) GR5 is much anticipated nevertheless. 

Well the GR5 can be lit but now form the outside!  The AV-8B kit looks every bit as good as people told me it would be

gLLiiyaf5Ah4kp8LgPTtRoJV6vP5sTKlGDhcaPa8

quick tape together of the main few bits

On 10/11/2018 at 16:17, bar side said:

Trying out the scissor platform supports in wire.  Was wondering about using them yo carry power up to the lights on the platform, rather than dangling a wire down

The power wire is a dangley one, the curly type to allow for the movement of the tower. 

LL.JPG

Looking good tho

Julien

@Julien yes saw the curly wire on the 1/32 model pic above & wondered about using that to power the lights.  But the wires would probably have been over scale. So I might make some stretch sprue to replcate the curly wire, while power does actually run up the scissors.  Your pic reminded me that the kind of triangular plates that sit on the top of the main unit are also still to be done.