Building a HAS

And in true blue peter style I thought I'd make a couple of ladders for the Phantom. Here is one under way and one I made earlier....

DSCF8874_zpseqlnnj3b.jpg

Not perfect, and there are some lovely etched ladder kits out there. But once painted I think they will look ok. Think they may need to angle further out from the side of the plane - they look to hang a bit to straight down.

DSCF8875_zpsouseopm5.jpg

So with the land rover, a couple of figures & the phantom with cockpits open & ladders on the scene should start to look ok. Plenty more details I want to add though - ground power leads, fuel pipe, chocks, general HAS clutter (fire extinguishers etc), fuel tank racks, etc

• Like 3

Should the Land Rover go in its own build thread? Not sure & it probably won't take that long to put together. Started with some mods to the body. It started as a station wagon but is now becoming a 2 door long wheel base. I have reduced the window size with plasticard and fillered up the back door frame. The photo makes it look much worse than it is & about 2x the real size.

DSCF8876_zpsme9oewbz.jpg

I have blended in the front of the roof, the sides will follow once the roof side windows filler has gone off.

• Like 1

Bit more filling & sanding on the land rover and a quick blast of rattle can to see what the finish looks like. The roof & roof windows of the station wagon have gone under filler plus reinforcing bars along the roof are on. The back doors have gone and the windows reduced. Looks more like a standard landy now.

DSCF8880_zpsjqgn2arj.jpg

• Like 1

Been toying with an idea for the landy. I have more lights left over from the HAS roof & was wondering if they could be fitted in to the landy. The bulbs are a good size to fit in the headlight sockets. And better still when I tried hooking them up to some of those lithium watch batteries you get in a pack from the supermarket for £1 they worked!

So the idea is that the land rover can be positioned to provide more light on night shoots with the HAS. No cables visible as the batteries will be in the back. That means fitting the bulbs, painting up the back part so that the whole bonnet doesn't light up, and cutting a method of opening the back so that the lights can be turned on & off and the batteries can be changed.

But I think its got potential

DSCF8886_zpsf0od0z8i.jpg

• Like 4

Cheers Matt. Just ordered some chunky replacement Dinky tyres for the land rover too. Plus I found an old dinky toys trailer that might just pass for a weapons trailer towed behind the land rover. Needs tyres, but hey, just ordered some of them!

Well the lights went in for a test fit much easier than I thought. I need to solder up the wiring & work out an on/off switch, plus a drop out back 1/3 of the chassis with the battery pack on. The lights look ok off:

DSCF8893_zpsh5wd4iz0.jpg

I am now toying with making up a box at the back across the rear lights. They are the top pair, aren't they? One bulb in the middle & a box out behind the lights (drilled out with some clear plastic sprue and a drop of red paint) might make the back lights work.

Until then the front lights do the job:

DSCF8890_zpseynfkxx0.jpg

• Like 3

Cracking job on the shelter !!! And as I love Landies I will be following this one from now on !!!!

Can I ask what tyres you going for and where you sourced them ? Sounds like a cracking idea as I know the tyres on the Heller kits are very poor !

Nige

• Like 1

Cheers Nige

I am trying dinky replacement 'chunky' 17mm tyres. It means cutting the moulded tyre off but will mean I have spares for the bonnet & for a weapons trailer I would like to include. Will put some photos up when they arrive

Been playing with rear lights tonight.....

DSCF8900_zpsnisz5jb8.jpg

Think its going to have to be a removable top shell to get to the battery pack. Still need to come up with an on/off switch, solder up the rest of the wiring & then finish building the kit.

• Like 2

Got my ebay tyres through today - think they are going to work out ok. Just balanced in front of the kit smooth ones (and one on the bonnet 'cause it looks good!)

DSCF8903_zpsoqyiubrp.jpg

That was 12 tyres with change from £5, which I think is reasonable. Now have to cut the tyres off the kit hubs & see how they look

• Like 1

Yep thats the plan Nige. Might cut some off first just to speed things along a bit, Still need to make a new hub up for the bonnet wheel as the kit is molded with the recess but no wheel is provided

Nige - got the tyres from ebay. No previous knowledge of the seller or link to them - I just searched 18mm chunky Dinky replacement tyres and found a trader 'tony19452011' - price of £2.70 plus postage and had them 3 days later so quite happy. Will put on some positive feedback I think!

Couple of updates - Phantom ladders have gone yellow, the Land Rover has gone green & acquired its new tyres. Only held on with blu-tac at the moment & no interior or lights in this shot. Plus an outing for my only 1/48 standing figure. Not really appropriate for this scene but there we go.

DSCF8904_zpstoowys2j.jpg

• Like 2