Building a HAS

On 10/02/2018 at 9:08 PM, Getunderit said:

Doing a great job with the camouflage, especially with the one at far right.

I know the second model is painted in similar camouflage pattern to its box cover; but I am sure that would have been the artist's impression, and not what the camo experts would have recommended.

Just passing on some stuff I learnt in the military.The aim of camouflage is to make it hard to be seen. Predictable and repeated patterns gets easily picked up by the eye. Best patterns are unpredictable and random. This is difficult to do, since we humans always look for an easier softer way to do things - hence, repeated predictable patterns.

The scheme shown was known as ‘Snake’ by the Alconbury Agressor Squadron, Two Bobs do it on the sheet ‘Alconbury Gomers’

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GordonM said:

The scheme shown was known as ‘Snake’ by the Alconbury Agressor Squadron, Two Bobs do it on the sheet ‘Alconbury Gomers’

Didn’t know that Gordon - I think there is still a plastic F-5 on the gate at Alconbury, along with a few USAF personnel.  No flying anymore though.  Pass the base every time I hit the A1 going north as I come off the A14

30 minutes ago, bar side said:

Didn’t know that Gordon - I think there is still a plastic F-5 on the gate at Alconbury, along with a few USAF personnel.  No flying anymore though.  Pass the base every time I hit the A1 going north as I come off the A14

I believe the scheme the gate guard is wearing was called Ghost, Alconbury used different names and slight differences to the Stateside schemes. Airfix Model World had an article on building the AFV F5E as a Gomer about a year ago, I just cant find it at the moment 

Update on the racking.  Got some paint on and it’s definitely stronger than mk1.  Don’t want to crash test it with a kit box falling on it though!

ieYfZol_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Tank on it is an F-5 tank I think.  Phantom ones are in the garage & it’s still snowy out there.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I started a new scratch build - a 1/48 F-27 - but things haven’t really got going on that one yet.  In the mean time I got a win on eBay and had birthday Amazon vouchers to spend.  The result was these 2

mcdPzRm_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Haven't decided which to have a go at.  An F3 will look very at home in a HAS.  In this case acting as Leuchars with treble one markings.  But the part count is putting me off getting started!  297 parts.  Probably more parts in the cockpit than the whole F-8 Crusader by Lindbergh.

The Hawk on the other hand is known territory.  My second on & the first was enjoyable and ended up in wrap around grey green.  I do like the older trainer colours though

3968898_orig.jpg

But grey with a black tail could look good between a 74 sqn Phantom and the F3.  This was part of a lineup at Wattisham

17866102448_c0020fa8df_m.jpg

But it a Black Hawk has an appeal too.

so, push on with the scratch, dive in on the F3 or start the Hawk.  Decisions, decissions

Just realised how many options came with the Hawk decals I got last time.  Perhaps red & white to go with the Dominie & then maybe get me a Jet Provost?

X48155_1.jpg?t=

Edited by bar side

Looks like I have the decals to do 164

24107909933_97e4b37417.jpg

Same squadron as 241 above, which ventured out to Bentwaters airshow in 1985.  Don’t know the dates for the paint scheme as the decals have black numbers on the same paint scheme in 1979

https://www.airshowspast.com/raf-bentwaters-airshow-1985.html

Nice to see Airfix include an option for flaps down.  Was thinking of doing it anyway, but was very pleasantly surprised to find the bits in the box.  Started putting bits of the cockpit together today & the kits is nice to work with.  Fast becoming one of my favourite kits as I remember the last hawk going together well too.

276180_800.jpg

• Like 1

Bit of progress (not much though) on the Hawk this week.  Dry fit of the cockpit does show how nice the kit detail is

OiIaEmR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I took a knife to the flaps and they came out reasonably easily.

QyGh2OZ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Seats coming together too

• Like 1

So, there I was, wondering what to do with my left over F-4 Alconbury recon decals, when up pops this on ebay

x4EandR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

looks like this will be toom no. 4 then....  is having 4 1/48 F-4s too much?

16 minutes ago, Kirk said:

But it is possible to have too few Harriers...

Yes, there is a need for a gr7 or 9, and a early sea harrier - remember seeing frs1 harriers at the 80s airshows.  Never really saw frs2s.  The stash has been growing lately with a Lynx, Tonka F3 and RF-4 now waiting for me to get on with the Hawk and the long term F-27 scratch.  And I keep getting this idea to build more airfield buildings.  There is a guy who sells hangars and control towers on eBay that look cool

s-l300.jpg

s-l300.jpg

I am now wondering if I should have a go at an updated 8th airforce style tower with an updated glass area on as per 

wattisham_tower.jpg

Too many projects to take on at once!

• Like 1

On 28/03/2018 at 10:54 PM, bar side said:

So, there I was, wondering what to do with my left over F-4 Alconbury recon decals, when up pops this on ebay

x4EandR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

looks like this will be toom no. 4 then....  is having 4 1/48 F-4s too much?

That brings back memories. I recall my Dad buying me that kit in Capital Model Supplies in Crystal Palace in the mid 80s...

• Like 1

I am always a sucker for a cheap older kit @Vlamgat9  Speaking of which, got the Hawk body together today.  Wings are just pushed on as is the main undercarriage in order to test the centre of gravity 

CEWL7Y7_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

I have thought about that very hangar kit myself, very cool looking.  I think you should build a control tower, that would be to cool for sure.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RichO said:

I have thought about that very hangar kit myself, very cool looking.  I think you should build a control tower, that would be to cool for sure.

Got the urge to after a visit to the tower at RAF Thorpe Abbotts last year.  Former 8th  Air Force field and now a museum / memorial to the 100th Bomb Group.  

cc3YzEF_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

It was a heavy bomber base operating B-17s and they have fully restored the tower. Up on the roof in the ‘glass house’ they have built in speakers with that four engine drone drifting in & out.  Makes you look in to the distance every time to see if something is coming in, even though the runways are long gone.

The towers at most airfields remained similar for a long while with a new glass look out the on the top.  Would look nice, even in the background.  Trouble is I did the HAS because I didn’t have the space for a full hangar & stuff!

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

Some progress with the Hawk, here with its brother (or sister?)

BgQtggR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Wings are on as are flaps.  Almost ready for a coat of grey primer, then preshade.  Then I guess it is all over white to give the red a good base.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Primer on the Hawk last night & some pre shading - doubt it will show through but worth a try

9jADzM4_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And today some some top coat.  Still have to top coat the grey and do the black on the nose

6WZ5kxy_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

nice clean line between the red & white, which is always a relieve

Now, this niggling idea of a control tower.  Lots to choose from no real standard for them.  The first idea was Wattisham

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBHNUcb9rODSQZ6m4TKd6

It doesn’t seem to follow any consistent pattern & has some large ducting on one side.  Perhaps there are better options

Bentwaters looks nice

Bentwaters_72.jpg

Not to big & lots of old critall windows.

Bit more ‘modern’ with the old Alconbury tower

alconbury_new.jpg

Quite like this one

And Woodbridge for good measure

Woodbridge.jpg

Like a lower, more squashed Bentwaters.  Well there are some ideas.  Still pondering 

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Nice Hawk (what a well-proportioned aircraft!) and nice control towers. I'm particularly enjoying this as I'm creating a bit of ATC software so have been immersed in the conversations between the inhabitants of these very 20th century buildings and their winged counterparts. After a bit of doing this, I get to appreciate that whilst it's easy enough not to collide with an empty sky, what the ATC people do makes it possible to return to earth with the same number of wheels/wings/limbs/etc that you set off with.,,,

Can't wait for the (inevitably excellent) model,.

Kirk