Building a HAS

Getting on to the paint job.  It won’t be perfect but I will see if I can get something ok out of this.  First the red nose & stripe plus blue wing tips 

Y3C3XQR.jpg

Then on to the blue & the checkers

wJPbKNp.jpg

iJ8i3K4.jpg

Needs lots of touch up, glazing & wing to go on.  And one of the main undercarriage legs has developed a crack.  I have glued it up & will leave it until tomorrow

Got the wheels on & set fitting the wings.  I put on the vinyl serial codes and realised that the blue should be solid behind them.  So they have now c9me off again and the blue blocked in

60htRjd.jpg

• Like 1

Roof whip ariels added & painted, steps added to the main wheel legs.  Just about done I think.  She needs some shots out in the sunshine.  Might even do an RFI, don’t see many of these on there

5oltS6g.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeepSea said:

Looking good. It's different but in a nice way to your 'normal' ones. 

Have you any idea what's next on the pile/bench?

I did dig out a B-26 kit.  Nice looking kit.  Add some motors & lights.  They were seen on the 90s airshow circuit so fits in with the Chipmunk & G-FIRE.  But maybe a jet.  Have an F-15 to do as a Bitburg bird with lights.  And a couple of Phantoms - Euro one Weasel or a German splinter F-4F. Really should start the Shackelton though but that is going to take ages….

• Like 1

Very tempted to go F-4G Weasel and try some Hataka paints with my new little usb airbrush.  I have the kit & a cockpit etch set.  Not really thinking of lights or anything.

Just checking the Phantom resin goodies box.  There are a couple of seats but the parachute box on the top looks too big.  Might get some more.  The panels for the back of both tubs could work.  I have a full resin tub but I might save that for my next FGR2.  I have the Eduard Zoom etch panels set so the slightly basic kit cockpit could be a reasonable base.  There is an open panel there too.  The full set includes about 3 photo recon nose options with interiors and exteriors, so I need to do some more Phantoms.  That’s not counting the E/F model and an FGR2 kit already in the stash, or the Weasel

V4Q7rVn.jpg

3 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

Good choice, Spangdahlem markings I take it?

Of course!  I have a couple of sets

2XTP1iu.jpg

I put off building this to do my Spang Viper.  About time I got the pair done.  If the Euro One goes well I might do another Alconbury RF-4 in it too.

• Like 1

Well have been picking things up for the Weasel build, and I am thinking of turning this in to a double Phantom build.  Will start a WIP shortly

• 1 month later...

The Phantom F-4F and G double build continues although I have been on hols for a couple of weeks.  I did a big line up of my RAF grey/green collection a while back and have had my 2 Jags (insert your own Prescott joke here) for a bit of fixing of under wing stores as these had come loose

au7NISf.jpg

This is the 80s RAF line up, all in 1/48

gKrLRoy.jpg

so generally keeping busy.  Need to do my other Skunkmodels tug soon too

• Like 2

Couple of inspiration shots for HAS use in the future.  The F-15Cs may have retired but the Es are still going strong

GC2iJ37.jpg

Or for the latest F-35s

0AoJXzF.jpg

I don’t think they’re are keeping the F-35s in the HASes yet, but the F-15Es certainly live there

• Like 3

On 8/18/2022 at 5:47 PM, bar side said:

The Phantom F-4F and G double build continues although I have been on hols for a couple of weeks.  I did a big line up of my RAF grey/green collection a while back and have had my 2 Jags (insert your own Prescott joke here) for a bit of fixing of under wing stores as these had come loose

au7NISf.jpg

This is the 80s RAF line up, all in 1/48

gKrLRoy.jpg

so generally keeping busy.  Need to do my other Skunkmodels tug soon too

Wow, that is some line up! That Herc must be a big beast. Easy to forget how small the Harrier is too. Its not much bigger than that Chipmunk!

11 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

Wow, that is some line up! That Herc must be a big beast. Easy to forget how small the Harrier is too. Its not much bigger than that Chipmunk!

Cheers.  I always think the Airfix Harrier is a bit under scale.  Possibly nearer 1/50.  The kit pilot isn’t much bigger than a 1/72 pilot & is dwarfed by a Monogram pilot.  The Herc Is no fun to get through my loft hatch!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been chatting to another forum member about HAS and Cold War airfield building & details.  Definitely some more to come.  First suggestion looks to be a cabin inside the HAS.  Then maybe other buildings and features.  Maybe a HES to go with the HAS.  It also got me looking again at available building on line and ebay has some laser cut hangars and this tower:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGN61S-x3w2niv82X7gie

Looks similar to the type seen on US controlled RAF bases.  Pretty cheap too.  Need to finish off my own control tower too

• Like 1

So I am told this is a sangar.  This picture is of one on an industrial estate just outside RAF Wattisham.  Basically a round pillbox with 4 gun slots.  Often found around RAF HAS sites

6KGveHl.jpg

Quick measurement from google maps suggests about 2m diameter and 2m height excluding the top & base.  So approximately 4cm in 1/48.  About the size of a wrapping paper inner tube

VPETtIb.jpg

just need to knock up a top & base, but the 4 gun slots and wrap the outside leaving it with three parts see in the top pic.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bar side said:

So I am told this is a sangar.  This picture is of one on an industrial estate just outside RAF Wattisham.  Basically a round pillbox with 4 gun slots.  Often found around RAF HAS sites

6KGveHl.jpg

Also known as a Yarnold bunker after its designer.  I have access to a couple if you need details. 

I've been measuring various buildings and installations on a HAS site and drawing 1/72 plans. These include an Operations building, Uniter buiding, EWS,  and a bowser garage. 

I've been working on the Ops building, still lots to do, weathering, access ladders etc .

49999261106_be2168a717_c.jpg

52269328496_d0b10caa19_c.jpg

Edited by Evalman
  • Like 5

That’s very nice @Evalman!  Is it based on a specific site prototype or a generic Operations Building?  It’s tempting to have a HES (Hardened Engineering Store I am told) and a Operations building.  I do like a card building!

So a Yarnold bunker. I have been sent some nice links by @Mark Cassidy like this one

http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/advanced-pillbox-designs/part-2-o-z/yarnold-sangar/

Looking at that link I think you might be right about the sewer pipe @Pete in Lincs!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bar side said:

That’s very nice @Evalman!  Is it based on a specific site prototype or a generic Operations Building?  It’s tempting to have a HES (Hardened Engineering Store I am told) and a Operations building.  I do like a card building!

It is a copy of the one at St Mawgan which I believe was the last HAS site to be built in the UK.   I have looked on google maps and these buildings all look similar although there appear to be variations. The Ops buildings at RAF Leeming look to be the same as St Mawgan.  

They are substantial buildings, taking up as much space as a HAS. 

Re the Sangar, some had a proper opening so you could walk in. This opening was protected by half of another sangar.   

• Like 1

I have been looking at Google Maps to see if the design is the same at Wattisham @Evalman.  I have a feeling Wattisham was one of the first HAS sites.  I tracked down these two building that are interesting.  I always feel that someone is going to monitor my search history when I google “RAF Wattisham Operations Building”!

okzFe3O.png

Both look a bit bigger than a HES

q4wkk9f.jpg

I will be keeping an eye out for better pictures

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bar side said:

I have been looking at Google Maps to see if the design is the same at Wattisham @Evalman.  I have a feeling Wattisham was one of the first HAS sites.  I tracked down these two building that are interesting.  I always feel that someone is going to monitor my search history when I google “RAF Wattisham Operations Building”!

okzFe3O.png

Both look a bit bigger than a HES

q4wkk9f.jpg

I will be keeping an eye out for better pictures

I'm not sure what that building is. It is a lot smaller than an Ops building.   A lot of HAS sites have what appear to be two Ops buildings but they are sometimes of different designs.   

There is one building that appears at nearly all RAF HAS sites often quite close to a taxiway and Ops building and would be quite an interesting build. From what I can gather they were part of the Uniter secure comms network.  

20904111185_e08414146e_c.jpg

1/72 drawings 

52353327802_4e5b2dd3de_c.jpg

And something I'm halfway through, the actual EWS (emergency water supply) is 40' x 40' and they are scattered around HAS sites. 

16610536016_01215c109b_c.jpg

That’s a nice shot of the HAS and EWS @Evalman.  The HAS is a later version I assume.  The earlier ones had an annex on the side where the door way is.  It seems Honnington has both types of HAS on its two sites.  Wattisham has the earlier HASes with lots of blast walls around them which seemed to often have decoy Lightnings in them when the Phantoms were there.  You can se one behind the Apache

f0kkNgT.jpg