Building a HAS

Now time for the next build.  Now u suspect it should be a Phantom.  3 to choose from

lwgMPgH.jpg

Bur just not feeling like that for now.  So a choice between these two (yes, but I couldn’t face the Shackelton yet and a light up F-15 will wait too)

Nqm4NWm.jpg

I really fancy doing the A-26 as an airshow attendee during the 80s.  Lights & motors etc.  but I have put off the Bucc long enough.  She is a bit chunkier than the Chippie

Nq8UOsI.jpg

Now first thought was resin seats and cockpit etch instrument panels.  But the after market seems a little thin on the ground.  Now what about some lights?  Plenty of space to wire things in.  Even a removable bomb bay to fit a battery in?  Top & bottom flashing anti collision lights, nose wheel taxi light, wing tip & tail nav lights?  Could look good

Decided against a full resin cockpit but just ordered the Airwaves cockpit etch set to improve things a bit.  Now lights all look about doable.  Anti collision ones about here & here

dcIshfb.mp4

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Treat the Bucc like a vacform kit. Add tabs along the fuselage joint or it will never go together properly!

Will do but luckily mine isn’t too much of a banana!  I would like to keep the bomb bay removable to put the battery in, so hopefully the body is fairly straight

• Like 1

Like the Bobtail, that came together very nicely. Unusual vehicle (but then all those pickup based Bobtails are, with the normal cab, then incredibly short rear end), yet very iconic for a USAFE base, especially as they have one at BCWM.

Think I might split the Bucc build off to a WIP thread.  Got another kit thought though.

GAdfrjL.jpg

May seem a bit of a departure, but I got to do a flight experience in a 152 a couple of weeks back, so thought it would be nice to do a model of her

Jlz8Z6s.jpg

Painting those markings will be, shall we say, interesting!  Not so worried about the stripes & chequers as the serial code

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bar side said:

Painting those markings will be, shall we say, interesting!  Not so worried about the stripes & chequers as the serial code

Maybe someone with a cricut or silhouette or similar could cut you a mask for the code?

19 minutes ago, DeepSea said:

Maybe someone with a cricut or silhouette or similar could cut you a mask for the code?

Was thinking of cutting masks or finding some stick on letters that could work as masks.  I think white decals would show too much colour through them

• Like 1

Weirdly quite looking forward to spraying on the pattern!  Won’t be saying that when I start it.  I suspect I will hold on until I see some suitable letters.  And probably talk myself in to fitting a working motor, maybe  lights….

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So have been down the Buccaneer rabbit hole for a bit but she is almost there.  More stencil decals to go on & final flat coat, but a break in the weather was to good to miss so the HAS came out

TPFgvci.jpg

The lights work so need a night shoot when she is finished

a58ZgRk.jpg

And a shot with her peers

e01hHYH.jpg

Yesterday the royal flypast formed up over the the North Sea off Harwich, but the Lancaster took a short cut down through East Anglia.  She must have been ahead of schedule so did a quick circuit over my house before heading for a circuit over Wattisham.  She was low & this was a snap from my phone

XVIrODh.jpg

So a 1/48 City of Lincoln?  Would Sitwell in an 80s airshow line up.  Or a Sally B maybe…

With the Bucc build running down I have started thinking about what to do next.  Favourite seems to be the Sanger Shackelton.  But I fear loosing it & trying to do contra rotating powered props & lighting in a vacform.  Yes it would look good but may drive me over the edge  (some may say that happened a while back)

So buildings & vehicles.  More Type C hangar work?  Finally finish the control tower steps & walkways?  Respray my Chubb Pathfinder in RAF colours?  Finish the Mack articulated refueler?

Then there is the stash of kits

m2DRQ8Y.jpg

There is a Lynx at the bottom.  Or an A-26 that wasn’t in the picture.  Quite fancy building that one.  Not to mention the two long stalled scratch projects.  Decisions decisions…

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Buccaneer is done and has put in an appearance in the HAS

DERBxfF.jpg

RKT6vBA.jpg

The full RFI is 

Now what next?  That little Cessna 150?  The A26? Or any of those above?  A26 is tempting….

• Like 2

Found some vinyl letters for the Cessna so going to do that next.  No lights, no motors, but a fully hand sprayed paint job.  And the wheels.  The kit ones are moulded into the fairings, while the real one has no fairings.  Anyway, inside the box

xPpFGaO.jpg

Not a lot of parts but the detail isn’t bad.  So a few bits together

n1pwHpa.jpg

I was hoping to paint & then drop the interior in through the top.  However it looks like it may be easier to get the floor & instrument panel painted & in and then tape over them.  Main reason is the engine cover to body fit doesn’t look great so will need to be done before the exterior paint starts & that will limit access to the interior.  The wings are just sitting on top

She should sit nicely with my small military types

K9DMejz.jpg

Finally back to some bits on the Cessna.  The instrument panel had some nice recessed instruments, so I thought I would print a picture of the panel and drill the dials out.

L2uKGe2.jpg

Few holes later

sc9lHZd.jpg

Now the fuselage side registration code.  I thought about masking it off, getting masks cut etc.  but in the end I found some white vinyl letters printed to order on line.  The font is a little rounded and therefor a bit long but I think it will work

hqIfq0M.jpg

Very good quick service on eBay.  Cheap too.  So once the body is together I can start masking up to paint the scheme on

• Like 1

Test fitting the interior

pYkINcj.jpg

She is a lot smaller than the last build

RU4bPBR.jpg

Now centre of gravity.  Yikes!  I need to squeeze lead in to that nose.  Thankfully she is very small and light so probably about 5g might do it 

lMWR2GO.jpg

Instrument panel and seats painted 

Mmj86kb.jpg

Putting together the engine.  I may loose some parts to allow more room for nose weight.  This was also a test fit of the main wheels.  They are backwards in this picture.  They actually go forward, making the CoG even further forwardp 

cv9lQ95.jpg

The rod at the front is solder lead.  Need to fit all of that in I think.  Some behind the instrument panel and the rest in the engine bay

3 hours ago, DeepSea said:

Looking good! Fingers crossed for the nose weight. There definitely isn't much space there...

Could have ditched the engine & just purple in lead, so I think it will work.  Still got to sort out wheels though as the kit ones are half moulded in to fairings that 152s don’t have

• Like 1

Fuselage together today.  I put in a 5 point harness as G-BCDY has them fitted.  Before I closed it up I put some lead weight under the seats and inside the bulkhead.

1lMo9pd.jpg

Looking at that I think the rear seat is in the wrong place!  Well it’s staying now.

Now the lead stuffing begins in earnest.  I kept the main engine block and stuffed as much around it as I could.  The main bits are glued in but packed in with blutac as well

WjApq4s.jpg

Sitting on some wheels I dug up just to check the centre of gravity. Got there in the end

PiLHuDE.jpg

So get this dried and set, seal up the canopy.  The wings are not attached, nor are the tail horizontals, so they will come off and I can start painting the paint scheme 

• Like 1

With the painting getting ready I have started thinking of wheels.  I sat her on some Hasegawa ground equipment wheels but they area but big & chunky treads.  But I found these from an ESCI bomb loader.  Look ok for the main wheels.

8vEek7I.jpg

The nose wheel is a bit smaller so might have to make / cast / whatever something

I put some white on today and it did show the join on the engine cover was too noticeable so another coat of filler in

13qc9Cl.jpg

The ESCI wheels look ok on there too.  Just need a slightly smaller nose wheel