Building a HAS

Had a play with the Jeep tonight.  The lights & grill are wrong for a Bobtail but could be fixed.  Would need to add a cab back, roof & doors but it’s doable I think

7kPzCFJ.jpg

Now, what to do with the Howitzer…

• Haha 1

The Jeep has had rear end surgery and the grill changed up.  Need to add new lights to the fronts if the wings.  And I got another Maisto 1/46 pickup.  Needs repainting but they don’t come up very often in the UK

8EaOBa6.jpg

• Like 2

Back on the Chippie today.  Started off with fixing the motor assembly in place and then fitting the front engine cover and underneath 

w3nmozL.jpg

And the sides seem to fit ok

zROrMfz.jpg

Now to join the wings & body.  That means connecting the power connector on the wing base to the wing lights (same sun assembly) and to the motor and tail light (different assembly). Much soldering later….

HXcOkOJ.jpg

Apart from wires coming loose, it turned out the green & black wires in the above picture were just too thick to fit!  They came out & were replaced with some telephone cable.

So blutac holding the engine cover, flaps and moveable tail surfaces in place and balanced on her wheels the bits are together

KphL8wL.jpg

b4n2eCG.jpg

And sitting with G-FIRE shows her diminutive stature

OqW6W2t.jpg

So once it has dried I will get on to fillering the joins.  Detail bits on & might be time for some paint

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DeepSea said:

Do you have switches for the motor and the lights or how are you controlling them separately?

Cheers.  I have three connection points underneath.  There is a common power for the lights & motor but separate returns.  So I can have either lights, motor or both running.  Barely enough room for the wires let alone an internal power supply, so I can plug it in or have it standing as a model on its own

• Like 1

Thanks @DeepSea I have just spent the last 10 mins searching for a picture of one sat in front of those HAS doors!  Sure I have seen plenty. It always seemed that there was a chipmunk about in photos of fighter meets etc

• Like 1

They say the canopy is tricky.  It’s three clear parts that need joining, an internal brace and a couple of external handles.  Not looking forward to painting it mind.

Liquid green on the joins

qzkRiGy.jpg

And now a grey Chippie

a7Pl4Ye.jpg

And as the grey is dry let’s get some colour on.  White first then red on top.  The  undercarriage legs & wheels are painted too.  Bit of white on the tail too

CHIysZj.jpg

Main body white then the red to go next 

Forgot to mention the bobtail.  While I was doing the Chippie wheels I painted the bobtail wheels too

e8Kdaxn.jpg

Need to build the cab back, roof and doors as well as make new front lights

• Like 1

Main paint is on

H5Y41UT.jpg

KbPROWq.jpg

Lights and motor still going.  The cockpit needs more doing to it, bits need touching up and ariels need fitting.  Plus decals and the canopy frame.  But she is coming along

• Like 1

Canopy is done and paint pretty much complete

DaFbvsf.jpg

xCJ1d4G.jpg

On to the decals then I guess.  I always wanted a Chippie and this one is growing on me.  Got a definitely cuteness factor

• Like 2

Decals are on the Chippie!  She does look cute.  I skipped a few stencils that I may still add, but the main job is done

3C2Sa0P.jpg

raqfQVa.jpg

With the JP

8nLyasB.jpg

b3HpJdu.jpg

Underneath you can see the three holes for the external power connection

ScjhBnP.jpg

Pilot in & motor running

fDAlSzU.jpg

6NtB8FU.jpg

And engine running, cover open

4V7zzmA.jpg

The lights do work but I will do a photo set including that & then an RFI

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

Like the idea for the Bobtail. What's the plan for the new pickup? Would look good in midnight blue. 

Yes I was thinking blue as well.  It’s a bit of a late model for 80s matt green.  The silver has been knocked about a bit so I was going to repaint.  The bobtail will definitely be matt green.  So now I have the covered trolley and lighting unit so just the liquid oxygen cart to do.  These are all at the Bentwaters Cold War Musuem

TflIel8.jpg

Been working on the cab for the bobtail today

AjO4MUP.jpg

New extension to the front end to fit new lights on the front of the wings.

Doors ate coming together but the windows need to go in after the inside is painted

vBZSPyk.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DeepSea said:

@bar side do you have plans you're working to for the bobtail or just by eye?

Going by eye & reference photos for this.  Strictly speaking it’s the wrong Jeep but it’s working ok

• Like 1

Quick idea of how she looks with a little paint.  I got the front & back glazing in tonight.  More work to do on the door windows then the roof can go on.  Hopefully the back of the bobtail will be easy enough to scratch.  As I said it’s the wrong Jeep model so working with what I have for dimensions so not perfect, but there seems to be a good degree of variation in the pictures of real bobtails out there

DdV1o3o.jpg

• Like 2

Glazing in & roof on.  Fit is awful but to be expected.  Lots of green stuff on the roof edges.  Leaving that over night to smooth down.  Started building the back of the bobtail too.  Needs fitting in place, top covers on, rear wheel mud guards extending the running boards, etc

jKa9AgK.jpg

The back end is coming along now.  The cab door surrounds have been sanded back and repainted so it’s about done.  I got the “stepped” bits finished off.

9tamrVF.jpg

So on to adding the rear fenders.  As that is the bobtail part, it’s also the easiest to put together as everything is flat plate.  Plus a couple of handles

YoRxwAW.jpg

• Like 1

Calling the Jeep Bobtail done today.  Finished & painted up the back, fitted lights & reflection tape, made & fitted wing mirrors.  I know the cab shape I’d a bit dodgy & this is far from perfect but i think it will pass for a bobtail

https://i.imgur.com/i80cIKh.jpg

looks like links are not working tonight - will try again later