Building a HAS

So will the Blackbird still isn’t finished I decided to cut plastic on the Jet Provost.  Like the old bulbous nose T4 but I feel it is going to fight me.  Finding a serial number for a 1980s T4 s going to be tricky as the after market decals all seem to be T5s.  It’s got to be red & white so may be cobbling decals together.  Anyway, this is what you get

uX3CGtD.jpg

No locating pins & cast parts, so very Valom esq.  Nice enough detail though, and not many parts.  No locating at all for the tail horizontals so may have to drill a rod through the tail to locate them.  But a few minutes cutting out parts gets you this.

UEl6Ow8.jpg

So bit of glue, bit of filler, prime in white & mask up for grey & red.  Should be done in no time!

Lurking aside, nice to drop in here to say something.  We all can tell you are having to much fun with this.  I like the colors on you cutting mat also.  Great hanger!

• Like 1

Cheers @RichO the cutting mat is, er, well used!  Plenty of life left in it yet though.  I will include the final shots of the Blackbirdand it’s shed when I get the decals.  They are out in the states but haven’t made it to their UK distributed yet. I might do a WIP with the Jet Provost and Chipmunk soon, but I think they might come together quite quickly.  Got lots of ideas bubbling about to get on with but only so much time - as ever!  Keep getting tempted to get the model railway going again as well

Playing about with bits for the JP.  It’s a short run style kit so been getting the bits of resin tidied up.  Intakes, seats etc so no need for after market really, although I think there is an etch set out there

o4JaFJA.jpg

Now trying to work out the floor height so the seat tops clear the canopy.  There are some basic locating marks up it’s better to check the fit out & work it out for yourself.  I feel I need to leave some space for nose weight too

plpCeKs.jpg

Dug the tankers out fora picture at the weekend.  The articulated one hasn’t really progressed much

eqEmV7o.jpg

Trying to think of any other ground equipment to go with the JP & Chippie.  Maybe a new Houchin?  I like the Videoaviation ones but postage is a bit steep

• Like 2

Should be getting on with the JP really, but I started playing with an old idea.  Following @adolfocaetanonetto’s lovely U-Boat built from card I started thinking about large 1/48 aircraft built that way.  So this one is for @Bandsaw Steve.  
I dusted off the bits of VC-10 and Pringles tubes and went back to the measurements.  Turns out the fuselage is not only not circular but it’s bigger than a Pringles tube.  Anyway, this is a messy look more at scale than modelling

This was the old 2D & tube mock up

t0bdMZI.jpg

Soi thought I would have a go at a scale cockpit section with a tube behind to about the front of the wing.  These are my fuselage notes, Pringles tube on the left, VC-10 fuselage in 1/48 on the right

wA5qTMn.jpg

I cut a piece of card for the floor and the shape of the loos & rooms behind the cockpit.  The RAF examples had the side door further back with an emergency escape where the commercial doors was

zDrK66e.jpg

Rough location of the nose wheel bay, by the looks of this the doors are closed with just the front wheel leg coming through when on the ground

4r9C0je.jpg

With an expanded tube behind the cab

oem7ZnJ.jpg

A bit of cereal box skin added.  The nose is a bit of foil but might work well with a plunge moulded plastic one, or just a load of P38 sanded up

KgOGPEw.jpg

ScdjlxE.jpg

Going to let it dry & put superglue on the card especially around the joins then coat in a layer of P38 & sand.  Then start scratching a cockpit interior.  Until that is done I can’t really do the top half.  And that has to fit around the glazing.  Well it’s something a bit different isn’t it.  Bit bigger than the JP

lbGs7Oq.jpg

Must be mad but there you go

• Like 4

I have a few photos of the Jet Provosts at Scampton in the mid 80's but as I don't have a photobucket account I don't know how to get them to you for some reference if you might be interested. Going to check out if the Britmodeller links to Facebook page but ping me a PM if you want to see them. Also some good pics of Hunter and Hawk trainers and me doing a Ewan McGregor impersonation beside a JP T5 that I got a flight in. I would love a model of the T5 I flew in but I am crap at building and painting wingy things! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Your builds are really coming on and looking forward to seeing how the VC10 comes together. Flew in one to Wildenrath as a cadet age 15. Fond memories. Keep up the fantastic work.

• Like 1

Cheers @Okdoky  you were lucky!  I do these builds quite often to learn about the aircraft & I didn’t know the difference between a T4 and a T5 before I got this kit.  I like the T4 a lot but I think I need to do a T5 at some point.  But with the Chippie (I did think about putting a motor in that to get the prop turning), playing with a VC-10, finishing off the Blackbird, and a whole load in the stash - that Buccaneer just isn’t building itself - time is the old enemy

• Like 1

Pringles are a bit cheaper than that here thankfully @adolfocaetanonetto!  
Talking of T5s this is still my go to shot.  Credit to whoever took it - I would say if I knew who it was!  Those T5s creep in everywhere.  And @Lord Riot nice grey & black tail Hawk.  Red & whiteone at the back too.  One day I will have the full line up!

aW5r8sA.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Huge nostalgia hit with that line up! 

Yes, Wattisham I believe.  I think it is:

Two grey Hawks plus one in red & white

Three Dutch / Belgian F-16s

German F4F

Tornado F3

56 Sqn FGR2 (470 with shark mouth rad done?)

Lightning (bare metal and no over wing tanks)

Soesterberg F-15A

Jet Provost T5

loved those old Tiger-style meets

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Wow!

A 1/48 scale VC-10. You might need a real HAS just to have somewhere big enough to store it! 

VC-10’s are a fav of mine so I shall watch with great interest.

No I will need the Type C hangar for that - but I doubt it will even fit in there.  That T tail is HIGH!  Not even sure the Blackbird will fit in the HAS.  VC-10 cutaways and dimensions are not easy to track down on line, so quite a bit by eye I reckon.  And I am just doing the nose for now.  If it works that is…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bar side said:

Should be getting on with the JP really, but I started playing with an old idea.  Following @adolfocaetanonetto’s lovely U-Boat built from card I started thinking about large 1/48 aircraft built that way.  So this one is for @Bandsaw Steve.  
I dusted off the bits of VC-10 and Pringles tubes and went back to the measurements.  Turns out the fuselage is not only not circular but it’s bigger than a Pringles tube.  Anyway, this is a messy look more at scale than modelling

t0bdMZI.jpg

Soi thought I would have a go at a scale cockpit section with a tube behind to about the front of the wing.  These are my fuselage notes, Pringles tube on the left, VC-10 fuselage in 1/48 on the right

wA5qTMn.jpg

I cut a piece of card for the floor and the shape of the loos & rooms behind the cockpit.  The RAF examples had the side door further back with an emergency escape where the commercial doors was

zDrK66e.jpg

Rough location of the nose wheel bay, by the looks of this the doors are closed with just the front wheel leg coming through when on the ground

4r9C0je.jpg

oem7ZnJ.jpg

A bit of cereal box skin added.  The nose is a bit of foil but might work well with a plunge moulded plastic one, or just a load of P38 sanded up

KgOGPEw.jpg

ScdjlxE.jpg

Going to let it dry & put superglue on the card especially around the joins then coat in a layer of P38 & sand.  Then start scratching a cockpit interior.  Until that is done I can’t really do the top half.  And that has to fit around the glazing.  Well it’s something a bit different isn’t it.  Bit bigger than the JP

lbGs7Oq.jpg

t0bdMZI.jpg

wA5qTMn.jpg

zDrK66e.jpg

4r9C0je.jpg

oem7ZnJ.jpg

KgOGPEw.jpg

ScdjlxE.jpg

lbGs7Oq.jpg

• Like 1

Ivan

The aircraft has an external length of 48.66 meters, tail height of 12 meters and fuselage diameter of 3.76 meters. It has a wheelbase of 20.09 meters and the landing gear is equipped with low-pressure tires. The cabin is 26.06 meter long, 3.5 meter wide and 2.26 meter high.

You are needing 78mm pipework so 75mm by 100mm ducting pipe in aluminium as a possible option on evilbay for £8.39 each ? Advertised for Duct pipe for air diesel parking heater conditioning ducts !

Sorry Ivan ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Shows how long it is since I posted on here as it copied and pasted one of your previous posts !

Edited by Okdoky
Was not what I wanted to post and copied previous entries of Ivan's

20 hours ago, Okdoky said:

The aircraft has an external length of 48.66 meters, tail height of 12 meters and fuselage diameter of 3.76 meters. It has a wheelbase of 20.09 meters and the landing gear is equipped with low-pressure tires. The cabin is 26.06 meter long, 3.5 meter wide and 2.26 meter high.

You are needing 78mm pipework so 75mm by 100mm ducting pipe in aluminium as a possible option on evilbay for £8.39 each ? Advertised for Duct pipe for air diesel parking heater conditioning ducts !

Cheers Nige.  In terms of the tubing I had it at about 78mm by 88mm which I can do with the extended Pringles tube.  Might wrap it in a thin sheet or two of plasticard.  I plan a card internal frame to force the shape.  Got most stats from here

https://www.vc10.net/Technical/technical_specifications.htm

Until then I have superglued the card skin on the cockpit lower side and liberally covered it in P38.  This won’t be the last layer of filler!

lITQeU3.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Two layers and sanded back.  The card is now rock hard and has soaked in the P38.  No where near shaped properly or smooth enough but it’s getting there.  Need to start thinking about the cockpit internal layout and mocking up the top & glazing shape

QOIk2H2.jpg

n9Qzey2.jpg

The nose is too steep at the moment.  I remember the Dominie cockpit at this stage but it was tiny by comparison

0wPnpOd.jpg

• Like 1

Some bits done on the Jet Provost today.  Lots of test fitting needed when there are no specific locating pins or positions

VDEtagp.jpg

General black and the instrument panel is grey ready for decals to go on.  There are bits in the cockpit that need picking out.  The wing wheels wells are aluminium and the jet pipe is painted.  The intakes have red on them as I won’t be able to paint behind them once they are on.  Seats are primed too

IIkFiWJ.jpg

The seats seem to sit a bit too high, so may look at fixing the floor a bit lower, or shifting the geometry about a bit

dxVQe1c.jpg

Bit further forward to allow the seat base to sit flat.  Need to decal the IP and fixit in and make sure everything fits and clears.  Plus I need to add some nose weight in that rather bulbous nose.  And I need to put a pin through the tail to fix the rear horizontals to.

Now the VC-10 nose is only a bit done but it’s quite bit.  I put it next to the card tail today….

iOf4NT7.jpg

Thanks @philp great picture.  Looks like the left engine has just started.  I have the decals for the Blackbird now and just need to glow up the areas the decals go on & top coat with flat.  But this was where I had got to last time the shed was out

xeQWoGb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not forgotten the JP but it is one of those kits where everything isn’t quite straight forward.  I put the cockpit floor in today and wondered if things would close with it in place.  That’s a no then.  The fuselage halves now don’t fit together - the cockpit floor is either too wide or sitting too low.  So that needs sanding back to make it fit.  The wings are together & seem to fit ok with the underside.  Not great on the top though.  And the wings need tip tanks adding with no locating pins.  Will need to drill some and fit the tanks.  The tail horizontals have no locating pins, so they need drilling too.  Maybe a thin steel rod right through the back end.  And when I get it together I must not forget the nose weight!

h9cHUry.jpg

Mind you the Blackbird is all now decalled up

Gie4vH6.jpg

Sanded the internal fit of the JP and the two fuselage halves now meet as they should.  Surprisingly few parts left in the box!  Just the undercarriage really

E7SpVtl.jpg

Need to decide if I am going to cut that canopy to pose it open.  I would like to but it is quite thin.  I need to shape up the wing fit as the dip down to the tips with test fitting.  Mustn’t forget the nose weight….

• Like 2

Got some time to drill out a locating rod to hold the tail horizontals on.

90KoGIv.jpg

Then did the same for the tip tanks

UEnE8ef.jpg

Put in some lead nose weight and checked the centre of gravity.  May put in a bit more just in case but seems ok

fuTtMNv.jpg

And tip tanks attached.  Would have been nice to pain before fitting but that’s not an option with the kit 

HgPwY0r.jpg

Got this one for my birthday - may have to pose it in the HAS!

KHtkiPy.jpg