Building a HAS

Main decals are on & drying.  Still have the trifle time strips to do.  While they dry my thoughts are moving on to the next build.  The Luftwaffe F-4E will wait as things have been a bit Luftwaffe heavy lately.  And the Spangdahlem duo of the F-16C and F-4G aren’t looking front runners.  Even the Pathfinder will take a back seat as I am about done for vehicles for a bit.  So that suggests the Buccaneer or the Red Spitfire or the big Shackelton.  There are more back burners in the stash too - A-26, Kfir, Lynx, Bitburg F-15 and another FGR-2.

Decisions, decisions...

On 3/16/2021 at 7:50 PM, bar side said:

And the somewhat chunky new addition

j0leqB8.jpg

it’s tempting to paint her green with an RAF style yellow stripe round her.  But I can’t find any pictures of one in green!  All red or a pale yellow/green

pathfinder-firefighters.jpg

Impressive looking vehicle but you won't find and photo's of them in RAF colours, they were never used by the UK or US Military.  

7 minutes ago, Evalman said:

Impressive looking vehicle but you won't find and photo's of them in RAF colours, they were never used by the UK or US Military.  

It would be more of a What If, but that’s fine with me.  Resin scale 1/48 military vehicles run in the £70-90 region, so unless the vehicles are your thing they are just not worth it.  As per Dan’s photos above there is precedent for similar green RAF fire fighting vehicles, so that’s what she will probably look like.

1 minute ago, bar side said:

It would be more of a What If, but that’s fine with me.  Resin scale 1/48 military vehicles run in the £70-90 region, so unless the vehicles are your thing they are just not worth it.  As per Dan’s photos above there is precedent for similar green RAF fire fighting vehicles, so that’s what she will probably look like.

Ok.  if it helps - RAF  Crash Trucks were green with yellow stripes roughly from 1976 to about 1985, after that they slowly started to paint them red again. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Evalman said:

Ok.  if it helps - RAF  Crash Trucks were green with yellow stripes roughly from 1976 to about 1985, after that they slowly started to paint them red again. 

Thanks - yes.  I had figured yellow was early 70s.  My usual timeframe is late 70s to mid 80s when I was going to Mildenhall & Bentwaters airshows and seeing the airfields, vehicles & aircraft.  I sometimes stray in to the 90s and I do fancy building a Typhoon one day, but they still live in the same HASes that were home to the Phantoms, Buccaneers and Tornados.  In fact I was watching one of those tv shows of music from 83 last night.  Blue Monday anyone?  Still sounds good to me 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bar side said:

Thanks - yes.  I had figured yellow was early 70s.  My usual timeframe is late 70s to mid 80s when I was going to Mildenhall & Bentwaters airshows and seeing the airfields, vehicles & aircraft.  I sometimes stray in to the 90s and I do fancy building a Typhoon one day, but they still live in the same HASes that were home to the Phantoms, Buccaneers and Tornados.  In fact I was watching one of those tv shows of music from 83 last night.  Blue Monday anyone?  Still sounds good to me 

Indeed. I have tickets to see New Order, unfortunately it's been postponed twice already. 

5 minutes ago, Evalman said:

Indeed. I have tickets to see New Order, unfortunately it's been postponed twice already. 

They are one band I haven’t seen but I would definitely like to.  The Cure were going to be doing the Albert Hall for its anniversary & we were planning to go.  Hope that one comes back too.  They still had it when they played Hyde Park a couple of years back

5 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

Those decals really finish off both refuellers nicely. How about a hardened fuel tanker garage for your next building, like this one at Bentwaters?

868 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr 

That’s nice & very doable.  I tried to park the tankers in my Wattisham shed in the pictures above, but they are too wide!

37 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice looking tankers. They look great now & who would guess they weren't kits?

Well one is.  The R-11 wasn’t delivered until 89, so the Mack is better for early 80s scenes.  Quite pleased with how it has turned out

• Like 1

Cheers @danbuoy those are good pictures.  I guess each bay has two doors.  I wonder if was just for storage or for loading as well?  It would make sense if you could securely fill the tankers inside a covered area.   The RAF HASes had their own tanks built in to an annex on the side of the HAS to allow refuelling inside

Got to have a go at mocking up one of those buildings soon.  Got a few minutes to get the reflective strips on to the R-11 so she is just about finished.  I have seen pictures with the tank corners & edges marked, and others without.  So I went cab & pump bay with, tank without.  Well I haven’t actually glued the cab, pump bay or tank on to the frame, so might need to do that.

HklbGoh.jpg

The R-9 now needs doing, and maybe the step van too.  The R-11 has kit decals but for the other two I will use thin cut strips of masking tape.  Then if the weather stays sunny tomorrow I might try to get them outside.

• Like 2

I was watching a video on YouTube earlier that some UrbExers had filmed at Woodbridge and at one point there was a good view of one of those tanker garages, including the inside as all the metal doors were removed a while ago, plus the doors off all the Tab-Vees.

Yes, didn’t the doors at Woodbridge all get removed & sold for scrap?  It is still a active Army base so getting in must have been tricky.  I am sure the Wattisham Apaches used to head over there on training runs, but these days they seem to head north towards Norwich, or west towards Duxford.  I think Bentwaters is in a better state!

Well after some scribbling I made the tanker garage about 30cm x 35cm in 1/48.  But the doors seem very high, so I will check my google maps size references again before cutting cardboard.  I might try to recalculate based on the door pictures & assuming door height of around 3m

Yes, all the HAS doors and ones off the tanker garages were removed a few years ago for scrap. Must admit, I did wonder how these UrbExers got on site. I went on an organised visit to Woodbridge back in 2016 (when thankfully all the HAS doors were still in place). The airfield side, where the 17 Tab-Vees are is very overgrown and deserted, and the control tower is in a right state, with all windows in the control room on top smashed. The runway is in very good condition, and is still used occasionally. Trials of the A400M had taken place not long before our visit, and whilst we were there, an Apache came over to play. I did get a couple of pics of the tanker garage there, but they don't add anything to the ones I've already posted from Bentwaters.

Edited by danbuoy

Quick mock up of the garage today

pFuSJh5.jpg

I redid the sizing based on the google map of Bentwaters & things came out a lot better.  The tankers fit in the length & the doors are wide enough.  Could be my next building project.

Now the sun was out today so the HAS came out so I could pose the vehicles.  
 I tried a group shot but it was too ‘busy’

heQZA9V.jpg

So one jet & one tanker at a time.  First the Mack

rlYXpiu.jpg

xcAd09g.jpg

Then the R-11

yjURh34.jpg

t7FyeW5.jpg

7CTlVR7.jpg

And the 4 of them

QxRIsZP.jpg

And separately

gxuWUlI.jpg

OvE3Rgn.jpg

p0pggoH.jpg

ytsdcNy.jpg

The R-9 and the step van got their tape on the edges & corners this morning.  Calling them done & ready for use on future photo shoots.  I was wondering about posting a couple of pics for an RFI, but in which forum?  Aircraft or vehicles?

• Like 3

I fancy a change of scene.  A break from jets,, buildings & vehicles.  Something like a nice red Spitfire

klbzG8y.jpg

I loved seeing G-FIRE back in the day.  And G-HUNT, G-BOOM, even G-FURY.  I am tempted to do some private & historic aircraft seen at the early 80s airshows.  So T-33 Black Knight, Sally B, even the BBMF come in to scope.  Always fancied a reason to do a B-17 or a Lanc, but in 1980s guise rather than war time