Building a HAS

Cheers Pete.  Kind of wondering if I should finish the last one or have a break & do something else.  I have the tanker to build and a German G.91 that I have been putting off for a while.  Or maybe a nice red spitfire

• Like 1

I can’t remember if I have shared this picture before.  I would absolutely credit the photographer if I knew who it was and i would much rather link to their site than share it here, but I have been searching for it on line & can’t find it.  Anyway this gives you an idea of the kind of line up I would like to build.  It is from the Phantom Phinale at Wattisham 92 and might explain my two Dutch and one Belgian F-16

aW5r8sA.jpg

I have a couple of Hawks (one red & white & one camo, no grey & black tail), the F-16s, a Lightning (camo not bare metal), FGR2 and F4J(UK), a CR F-15 and a Tornado F3.  I have RF-4s but no F-4E and no Jet Provost.

But add to that an Alpha Jet, a Viggen, an F-18, a couple of Jags, and plenty of others.  Always something to work towards but the new Vipers definitely add to it.

• Like 2

Taking a break from the Vipers I broke out my Gina kit

4H7Mt9s.jpg

And found it’s very similar to the Vipers in many ways.  Also ESCI, decided to replace the kit seat with one from the stash

U6W2Hdu.jpg

The kit one is, er, somewhat basic let’s say.  The cockpit is also fairly sparse.  Like the F-16s there should be a lower block ahead of the cockpit rear bulkhead and some detail around the canopy mechanism.  The side a main panels have kit decals, so I will build some detail around those.

Kit seat

5BtvTG2.jpg

Resin seat

F6mFwh9.jpg

Think that will work

• Like 1

Cheers @Suprastar3000 she is going to be a Luftwaffe jet, not sure about doing orange nose & tail or not.  Something like this

1466840176_nemeckiy.jpg

I remember seeing one at Mildenhall & thinking it was a F-86 Sabredog, but the nose was all wrong.  I had just built a kit of one so felt I knew these things.  Wasn’t even 10 I doubt

I have been trying to improve the detail in the cockpit.  Think it should be a bit better.  I have given the body a light scribe to and the surface detail is pretty light too.  Get some more bits sorted & the body can go together.

NlfFJ2v.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Yes, you do need to do the dayglo!

I picked up a can of Tamiya spray orange a while back.  Haven’t tried it yet.  I thought his & if I do a Starfighter at some point it will need orange on the tip tanks. An RF-4, Alpha Jet, Gina and a Starfighter should make a nice Luftwaffe set

Look at the cockpit before paint & decals

GwqjiLK.jpg

There is now a lump of lead in the nose as I figured she is probably a tail sitter.  I stuck the wing halves together.  They need scribing and adding the wing fences.  The two part tail horizontals are also together.  Not masses more to the kit.  Gun packs on the nose sides can go in but only once I close up the body.  That’s not far away

G5JwTqg.jpg

• Like 1

Just sitting there having another one if those mad ideas for a building diorama.  Now it looks like Revell might be releasing a new kit 1/48 SR-71 this year.  Having seen them fly at Mildenhall that would be a must have.  But a Blackbird out on the field parked up?  Not common.  In a HAS?  Quite likely not possible and didn’t happen - yes I do know there is a nice picture of one outside a Lakenheath HAS on an open day.  So in a Type C hangar?   Not the way it was done at the Hall.  No there were two special barns.

62302d1427028258-b_archer_sr-71_6_61-796

They are still there so I measured them up from google maps.  About 35m long by 23m wide & 10m to the roof apex.  That is about 73cm by 47cm and 21cm high.  That isn’t small, and that is for one when there are a pair of them.  But it could double as a covered area for deployed jets or servicing & pass for any number of bases & buildings.  Pretty simple shape to mock up & most internal structure could easily be built with cereal packet card.  
Well it’s an idea to ponder.....

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

Now you know I can’t leave things alone.  Found this nice pic on the eadt newspaper site

01-raf-mildenhall.jpg

And found some card in the garage.  Well I knew it was there so didn’t really find it

SEbsFtd.jpg

I think it’s about the same size as the HAS.

UxzdvzG.jpg

I can’t help thinking that it could work as a half length for normal use & a back half for larger visitors.  But it’s already a half as there should be two really.  This is a screen shot from google maps

A3r4Tie.png

I think it would look good with a radio mast by one door & a load of ground crew & maintenance platforms.  Will need some lighting inside.

As for the Gina, wings & tail are scribed & the body is together.  Wing fences can go on as can the cheek gun packs once the body is dry.  Then I can get some filler out

• Like 2

It’s only a size check mock-up @danbuoy!  I doubt any of it would make it in to a build.  Borrowing a picture from Phillippe’s excellent Spangdahlem diorama I was thinking more of a UK US base version of this

img_5010.jpg

Start with one & see how it goes.  You can see how a blank wall could shorten it.  I wonder if two could be put side by side sometimes and end to end to hold a larger jet like a Blackbird?

Anyway, the Gina is not a tail sitter thanks to the lead weight in the nose.wings and horizontal tail fins are only test fitted.  Once the body dries I will tidy up the seams before the wings go on

YO8yqvz.jpg

• Like 1

Body together & join tidied a bit.  Started fitting the gun packs.  The rear door is only sitting in position.  I feel it needs some packing behind to make it sit better. The tail is on & so are the wing fences.  Wings are just test fitted at the moment

4xiRQ04.jpg

I hope to tidy up the gun packs & get the wings on, then I can prime her.  If we get the forecast snow though painting might get delayed.

It turns out the barn is pretty much the same size as the HAS.  So I think the half barn is going to be the way to go if I do it

RCT3ArX.jpg

• Like 1

Most of the remaining bits of the Gina coming together

EAaFjLp.jpg

And a bit later the gun packs have been filled a bit & sanded back and the wings added.  Then testing out the wheels with lots of blutac

jaMQHvS.jpg

Almost time for some primer to check the finish

Now the barn.  I got some card out & started today.  I am not really sure if it is planked on the outside but it kind of looks like it so I have gone for it

lFV2U9t.jpg

Then putting some I beams inside around the door.  Part looking at pictures, part guessing how it would be put together

Adsao5b.jpg

Plus this will start to give it some strength.  More cardboard beams to go in there & then I can start on the half length walls.

Cfe77Bc.jpg

Going to do about 40cm deep, the front is 47cm wide.  The front is just thicker card with thinner strips stuck on with pritt-stick.  The beams are flat card glued with uhu.  Got to say I like doing the buildings

• Like 2

Gina progress is on hold as snow and low temperature has put a stop on spray painting in the garage.  So more barn building time.

I was going to paint the inside white, but the main card I am using is a thin sheet with raw grey one side & white the other.  So skinning the inside with the white side of the card will save a lot of painting.  This is the inside of the main door after being skinned

qFazTCm.jpg

I did reuse the sides from the original mock up as they are pretty straight.  The back wall will be removable to allow for the open both ends look of the real barn.  But with the length shortened it will hold a jet being prepped.

kh4qD59.jpg

Next is building the main trusses.  Start with a flat sheet and then add the strips top, bottom and on the ends

FMsPBUY.jpg

And then six support legs

mvGBcCu.jpg

Side walls covered and the supports attached.  I guess this is the main frame.  The end walls need the frame adding & the trusses need joining up.  And a roof would be good.  And a doors. Then the lighting

bUAd2r1.jpg

Now what idiot said I could build two of these?

• Like 2

Well that was a productive day.  Most of the internal structure is done.  The removable back wall have a matching look to the walls now.  I think cladding the side wills with matching strips to the front must be next. 

ThXzeSi.jpg

kmiIJeU.jpg

5rt2BUc.jpg

I think set up on a painted base with some lights that will look ok.  It is nice at the moment since the whole thing comes apart & goes flat

I put a rough roof on the shed today and stood it on a prepainted base board just to see how it would work

SsKsToA.jpg

Then used a torch for light inside & took some shots

YljrsJY.jpg

tts1yvK.jpg

1a7A1Sn.jpg

• Like 1

So far the shed has had its solid back wall.  However the plan is to have an interchangeable back so the shed can stand along or be combined with a second shed to make a prototype length shed.  So I made a “joiner” wall and roof beam that slots in to the end

QaObnoQ.jpg

so you can see how a second set of walls can slot in to the back, doubling its length.  It also means you can pose a model inside but open ended

0EuZ8DS.jpg

With a background photo in place it works quite well.

And card has been cut on the phase two build with the second set of roof beams coming along

Ei5Qeav.jpg

Six uprights and the second set of walls to follow

cheers @danbuoy

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2