Building a HAS

Seats painted & instruments added, one main panel still to do otherwise the 4 cockpits are about there.  The Monogram cockpit still has its kit seat, the others don’t

5yoKqWz.jpg

The part built one has its first part tail feathers fitted.  It’s had its wheels broken off and the front leg & wheel are missing.  I think I can scratch a leg & try resin casting a wheel.

WVAcYNu.jpg

I am working through building up the second viper tail at the moment, but you often see F-16s parked with the rear elevators tips pointing skywards.  The easiest way to do this would be to cut the kit ones off and build new ones.  So out with a sheet of plasticard

6DZsRu0.jpg

The new fins next to the one of the two kits still in build

ILrhtfb.jpg

The silver one has had a coat of grey primer all over and the brown one has its new tail feathers and wheel bays painted.  And the new fins just for comparison to the modified ones

8Yt3r6A.jpg

And I posted on the wanted section and I have had a offer of a new nose wheel for this one.  Looks like I have most of the rest of the parts so maybe all 4can get built.

Looking to order paint but posting spray cans send to have shot up in price.  Ten quid for postage plus delivery supplement for hazardous materials.  Must have a look around at other shops

I was painting grey and I walked past this slightly bigger grey US jet.  Puts the F-16 squarely in its place

tVadzF4.jpg

More bits done.  Bits of a smooth down & touch up the primer on the silver jet.  Ventral fins on.  Filler & sand down of the horizontal stabs on the brown jet (now had ventral fins added too).  White jet body halves closed & now has its nose on.  The Monogram white jet is very toylike soft white plastic.  It wouldn’t scribe well, so that is being left alone.

qRweush.jpg

And a quick scribe & paint of the replacement horizontal stabilisers to go on the fourth jet.  They are all coming along

Got the brown Viper ready for priming today

f7h75dR.jpg

So now I have 2 primed Vipers.  I have started adding extra bits including nose bulges and sensors, and anti static tail tags.  And the white one is starting to come together. Halves together, nose on and now adding the larger tail

PU52DtR.jpg

Not sure how far paint stocks will go but more is on order.  Can kind of see one getting some top coat paint soon & a set of wheels.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:42 PM, bar side said:

Looking to order paint but posting spray cans send to have shot up in price.  Ten quid for postage plus delivery supplement for hazardous materials.  Must have a look around at other shops

I've been ordering most of my Airfix spray cans from Time Tunnel Models. Cans were £5.79 each, and delivery £2.95. Only issue was that they use Hermes, who left the parcel on my doorstep in plain view of anyone walking past, despite it having a large sticker on the front saying "Do not leave unattended"!

• Sad 1

I will try them next time then @danbuoy  I ordered direct from Humbrol in the end.  Postage was £4.95 but I got 4 cans.  Not the cheapest but should keep me going.

Got the white one primed today so now three grey Vipers.  One has its panel preshade so ready for some top coat paint.

xom9mfp.jpg

Noses are darker as the paint would have been over black, so darker

• Like 1

The tail of the Monogram one was a little more basic than the ESCI ones.  I wanted to build a long tail base Viper so I cut away the Monogram tail base and attached a spare ESCI long base with the extended parachute housing.  But then it became obvious that the top of the tail is missing the extended squared off fairing, a the beacon and other bits.  Also the intake sides are missing the port & starboard lights.

TatUEVG.jpg

So all tidied up.  The plan is for an all over mid grey finish as a Norwegian jet, hence the need for the long tail base

662_001_001.jpg?m=1371898944

• Like 1

Yes @Pete in Lincs this is good fun.  Planning, checking the references, building different versions.  And all cheap kits so if it all goes wrong not a lot lost.

The Belgian jet is coming along.  The underside is painted and the mid grey sides, top side nose and tail are painted, just the dark grey to go on and the nose cone to paint.  A feature of these kits is that you can’t get the underside body together before you fit the main wheels, so more to do underneath

urxZEVX.jpg

The paint on the white one is one colour grey all over, so need to finish off details like the tail anti static tags before painting.  Could end up with two painted and on their wheels in a few days.

The grey no.2 jet has taken a back seat.  Almost ready for paint but I still don’t know what she will be - maybe another Dutch Viper.  But with no nose wheel it seems best to put her on hold.  That leaves the last one with nothing more than a built cockpit so far.  That will become the block 30 Spangdahlem jet with the shark mouth.

• Like 1

Last chance to get these three together before they start to get their identities

xmJPJpQ.jpg

The rudderless one is going on hold now and the other two are getting the first top coat pass.  Will need touching up & lots of bits to do.  But after some paint this is how they look.

c7hNa5A.jpg

6NnR2Vb.jpg

Test balanced on the wheels, all still needs painting and sorting.  Glazing is just balanced on too.  Exhausts are just started & blutaced on too.

All the same starting to look the part

A comparison of the new Viper and my old Dutch F-16.  I used a different grey (Humbrol 27 as opposed to Humbrol 164) and I think the nose needs to go a bit darker.  The new one has the longer tail with parachute housing and the later larger horizontal stabilisers.  Still need to add the wing tip missile rails.

VPmjCLl.jpg

Just 4 lined up.  Should look good with 6

LwoRYJZ.jpg

And the production line

XuzsAyq.jpg

The Belgian Viper is getting near to the finish line now.  Wheels are on & painted.  Last bits might go on tomorrow & then decals

Bar Side, you are indeed, a jet-building machine - wow.  You seem to belt another one out in record time.  A few posts up, you show the fuel truck you purchased.  I remember when it was released, and as something of a truck nut, I was interested, so, am looing forward to seeing you build it!

Cheers

Nick

Cheers @Stickframe looking forward to getting in to that tanker box too.

The Viper progress continues.  Viper 1 is about ready for decals

gzE2Ozm.jpg

And a real bonus.  One kit was missing its front wheel & leg.  I was out in the garage & looked on the floor and spotted something familiar.  The wheel must have fallen out of the package when I opened it & there it was on the floor.

R23FIWe.jpg

So all of the bits needed to finish this one off.  Just need the paint (arriving tomorrow) and to decide on the decals and final version

And the Norwegian one is ready for decals too

Vjk2MQm.jpg

So putting all of the bits together number 3 isn’t far off

CAGYgAs.jpg

• Like 1

Day of decaling today.  First the Belgian Viper.  I used an old ESCI decal set.  The lining fell apart.  Agony of trying to line the bits up.  Then the main decals were doing the same.  Even the rudder flag fell apart.  So I used one from the new decal set.  And that fell apart too!  So a mix & match tail with one side ESCI & one aftermarket.  Got her done in the daylight though

eWWRYKM.jpg

So I thought I would go with the new set lining for the Norwegian viper.  And that fell apart too!  There should be enough lining for 3 in the set but not anymore.  So I have enough for one and another ESCI lining set that hopefully is a little more robust!

Anyway, 2 done.

zdxsQtg.jpg

9wGaFvz.jpg

Both need small stencils - no step etc.  But the way things have fallen apart I couldn’t face it today.  And then a flat varnish coat to seal it.

Couldn’t resist all 4 together.  Just another 2 to go.

eDsn0JT.jpg

012p3nL.jpg

And on the vehicle front I got another one today.  Philippe on the Spangdahlem dio on ARC Forums had long ago recommended Maisto die casts in 1/46.  I found a pickup on eBay in the uk for £1 plus postage and thought what could go wrong?  Looks pretty good to me.  It’s a pull and go toy but a new paint job & she will be good

Voy7xX9.jpg

And my paint order arrived so I can get on with the next two.  Keeping busy.

• Like 2

Got the Norwegian one out in the daylight today

0nFXuHJ.jpg

4rYHM4r.jpg

Along with the Belgian one still needs smal stencils doing but has had a flat coat.

Speaking of which, the new pickup got a primer coat today & here is posing with the Belgian Viper

vlMGLl3.jpg

And number 4 got checked over today & the wheels painted.  First bits of top coat are now on.  Just too dark grey & the nose to do.

rsLtoKv.jpg

The tail is now fitted and she will become another Dutch Viper code J-624

• Like 2

The risk bit with this one was the undercarriage.  It was put on by the previous builder and the broken off to package it up, or it broke off in transit.  I though5 I had all the bits until I test fitted the main legs & then I found a piece was missing.  A small length (5 - 6mm) turned up in the box, so I glued it up more in hope than anticipation

AOE7rvu.jpg

But it has all held together and she sits level - must have got all of the right bits in the right place.  So on with the build and she is about ready for decals.

So this week’s three

Bmu6TOm.jpg

And three ESCIs together

eoVCeFe.jpg

The plan is for her to be J-624 as in this pic

22-1.jpg

• Like 1

Well when there isn’t much you just have to work around it @Suprastar3000!  Always more I would like - a bobtail Jeep tug, a Leland RAF tanker, etc but I am slowly getting there.  The F-16s will look good with a mid 80s fighter meet line up.  A Tonka F3, Lightning, F-15, FGR2 and I could do with building a German Starfighter.