Building a HAS

I always see Matchbox as 1/64th scale and the ones I had always did look too big for 72nd.  How do you think the ones you have look scale wise?

I have seen some die cast advertised as 72nd but haven't seen anything I wanted to use.

Some are 1/64 scale but I think will still look OK. The 70s Lesney era ones are pretty close to 1/72 though and although obviously meant as toys, have a good bit of detail on them. The 2 Cararama pickups are 1/72, and the 2 Blazers and the school bus look fine, and even some of the more modern Matchbox ones are either 1/72 or very close to. Regardless, I just think it will be a fun project. Not tried making my own decals before so that could be interesting!

Sounds good.  Thanks for the info.

I bought a color laser printer just to make decals.  Still haven't tried it for that.  Got to figure out some graphics program so I can size things and then give it a go.

Starting to think of my next build.  There is a group build of helicopters coming up & I have had a Lynx kit on the shelf for a while.  There are two Phantoms - recce & weasel - also waiting.  And a nice Islander.  But I think one of these two is next in line.  Couple of German examples and then maybe the recce Phantom might be an RF-4E German example too.

5No1iDk.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Decided that if I keep the Herc anywhere other than the loft it will get bashed.  After I bashed it and knocked the antenna wire off.  So it’s safely up in the loft, but I posed it with the rest of the grey/ green fleet first

SNCABvG.jpg

Had a delivery for a HAS accessory idea today.  Now RAF bases in Germany didn’t always use standard tow tractors.  They tended to like the occasional Unimog.

image.jpg

While browsing Ebay the other day I noticed a quite toy like Unimog kit.  Made an offer & it arrived today.  It is a fire truck version, but I can have a go at a scratch rear body

C24hZfv.jpg

Could look ok sprayed green with a tow bar or a weapons trolley or houchin on the back

• Like 4

The Unimog kit is a snap together so tried it out.  It’s a bit chunky - especially the tyres.  Trying to figure out if it’s too big

56qmay1.jpg

So towing a Harrier of course.  And with a Landrover for size comparison.  Quite a bit higher than the Landy

3CY0JuL.jpg

NYLqEJp.jpg

I wonder if it would look a bit better on slightly smaller tyres.  The kit ones are very high, shiney & toy like.   The tyres measure at about 23mm across, while stretching some chunky Dinkey replacement tyres on brings it down to about 19mm.

• Like 2

I appreciate you have already bought the Unimog kit, but have you considered the Corgi Unimog from the 70's;

50095861143_809d94009c.jpgunimog by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Size is about right for 1/48, detail is nice, plus it has the correct rounded style bonnet. Plenty about on eBay etc too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, danbuoy said:

I appreciate you have already bought the Unimog kit, but have you considered the Corgi Unimog from the 70's;

50095861143_809d94009c.jpgunimog by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Size is about right for 1/48, detail is nice, plus it has the correct rounded style bonnet. Plenty about on eBay etc too.

I remembered those when the kit arrived.  I had one as a kid & searched through the old boxes but I think it’s gone.  They are surprisingly good value for an old toy.  Rather like my old one - well played with & ready for a repaint.  I was going to use some corgi / dinky tyres anyway

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just about finished with the Alpha Jet so now thinking of the next project.  Need to get the HAS out And do a proper photo session and an RFI

E8nJgQI.jpg

Think I will paint up the Unimog anyway, but time to think of the next build.  I am tempted to keep it German with an RF-4E.  Will only be my 6th Phantom...

Have a nice little Islander to do and need to get back on to my F-27 scratch build too.  And there is the type C hangar too. Lots to keep me busy

• Like 3

So the Unimog got some quick paint this morning.  She is a bit of a late model so I went with all over green rather than green / black camo.  Bit more in keeping with later vehicles

4sZh9SK.jpg

bit of a change from the red / white kit parts.  She is a click together so the paint means that the fit gets worse.  The back of the kit is a fire truck, so will need to make up a flat bed for it.  Not fitted the glazing yet either as that is a very tight fit

4n8mQEf.jpg

• Like 2

I adapted the kit back to make it a flat bed.  I am going to make a flats card sheet to go on this and some sides built to make the low sided pickup back.  The kit back was meant to be a fire vehicle, so I did wonder about re-purposing it as a field tanker, but decided not to in the end

9tz8sjW.jpg

I had some corrugated card hanging about and that looked about right for the Unimog pickup back.  So that & some cereal packet card

doXe5qT.jpg

And some paint

JHZGiEV.jpg

TDoWeWZ.jpg

I have some RAF yellow stripe decals hanging around so might add them.  And maybe a few bits, like a lower rear tow hook, fuel filler, etc

• Like 3

Dug out the RAF yellow strip decals today.  Not put them on but thinking something like this

post-4427-0-20501100-1448126518.jpg

It’s more of a what if but should make it look at home with the models 

Got the new tyres for the Unimog today & decided they didn’t look better than the kit ones.  

faKheZR.jpg

Anyway, got the decals on and built the new lower towing hitch for the back

VDreYJI.jpg

RPLpWRY.jpg

And with the other RAF vehicles

PwQaEX8.jpg

And it made its first appearance as a scene accessory with the HAS. Posing the Alpha Jet today

qTAvK5l.jpg

• Like 2

Next aircraft built playing meet the cousins

in5NtiQ.jpg

Planning to follow the Alpha Jet with a German splinter camo.  Although I have the curvy nose bits to do a late model Euro One scheme Toom.  Although I am doing that later on a Spangdahlem Weasel.  So when done that will be 7 Phantoms

• Like 1

Still stalling on starting the Phantom.  Playing with the Type C Hangar recently.  I am looking forward to the Islander build but getting the buzz to add lights & power the engines again.  

WXA0Uxx.jpg

Plus I got an unexpected eBay bargain of o kit I fancied for some time.  I am torn between a couple of ideas.  I fancy a Vietnam SEA camo version, or an 80s airshow shiny polished aluminium one.  Decisions decisions.  It would open the door to some 80s airshow others.  Do fancy building Sally B.  Have a T-33 that I would like to build as a CT-133 Black Knight.  Maybe G- HUNT.

YsDG7pN.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And before I can consider the A-26 I got an eBay win.  To go with my RAF grey / green collection.  So far I have:

Lightning

Hunter

Harrier GR3

Tornado GR1

Jaguar GR1

Hawk

Phantom

Hercules

So only one major model available in grey / green.  Been after it for a while

BqyLyOn.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

Will the Bucc be done in Honington markings?

That’s would be my preference.  Haven’t checked what the kits decals are yet.  I always feel sorry for the gate guardian although it looks like she has had a repaint & the blacked out cockpit glass

xk526-honington-9905.jpg

• Like 1

I don’t remember them flying in navy colours although I did build a couple of 1/72 Airfix ones in dark sea grey & white as a kid and for some reason that kit had a gold nose

AIRFIX-BLACKBURN-NA39-BUCCANEER-PLASTIC-

I don’t think I saw them flying in Gulf War colours either.  Quite liked the proposed grey bringing them in line with the Jags and Tornados.  But RAF bulked bomb bay & wrap around grey green is how they look to me.

15147520060_79fa612482_b.jpg

• Like 2