Building a HAS

Hadn’t really thought of putting the decoder on board.  Still need to run power in somewhere as I don’t know early want to put batteries on board.  Might speculate on the larger one & a set of motors & leds just to see what will work

All this planning & getting to ordering gear, planning the engineering etc is slowing down building the actual kit of the Herc to a crawl.  Tempted to get another kit going while the planning & testing gets done.  So choices include:

Spangdahlem F-4G in Euro One camo

Alphajet that needs sanding down & rescribing

EF-111 with UH decals.  Need to cut up the canopy to pose it open

Not sure the motivation is there for Phantom no.6 at the moment & don’t fancy the canopy cut or rescribe!  Choices choices....

• 1 month later...

Well it’s been a fairly productive year - Jag, Harrier, FGR2, TSR2, Flamingo, Viggen, A-7D, F-16, EF-111, TR-1 - more than I thought when I did a round up!  Anyway Happy Christmas & have a good & productive New Year!

Right so new year & time to get back to things.  Namely the C-130.  So update:

Order motors for the 4 engines - check

Order linear actuators - check

Order a basic Arduino unit - check

good advice from @isaneng on light locations - check

So couple of weeks lead time on getting all the bits, must be time to start on the cockpit & extending the nacelles etc.  Well after New Year’s Day, shopping trips etc of course.

Happy New Year one & all

• Like 1

Shout if I can help with any of the Arduino stuff. I've just about finished a little setup to do infrared controlled model car lighting inspired by your project here. The infrared was a top tip that I picked up from a YouTube video and is really helpful in that it gets rid of the need for loads of mechanical switches. I was surprised at just how easy it was to create the program for it; Pretty much worked first time - which is a first for me.

Happy New Year!

Kirk

That sounds good @Kirk - just struggling to get my head around building a model while stuffing all of this stuff inside.  I mean 4 taxi lights too, one under each wing & one on each main undercarriage door, plus the port / starboard, anti collision lights & interior lights too, before the motors or actuators.  And then releasing the horizontal stabilisers, rudder, flaps etc etc.  Not making this plan any easier!  So yes some help on the Arduino will be needed I am sure!

I came across some things on Ebay whilst investigating the car circuit which may help called "JST connectors". They're seriously tiny meaning they can be hidden in a model quite well. The downside is that they are seriously tiny meaning that soldering cables on (for some reason I could only find versions with one side pre wired) is going to be a challenge. For cable, I found 0.1mm "solder through" copper wire - which actually looks thinner than needed. 0.2mm (also available) would probably be a bit more durable.

Excellent! First priority is downloading the Arduino "Integrated Development Environment" (aka IDE = the software to write software) from here.

This should then make your new board visible to your PC (I seem to recall you have to select the board type from tools) and you can start making programs.

Do you have any prior programming experience? I don't want to explain stuff that you already know and there are a load of tutorials out there for whatever your level of experience from absolute beginner, past mine, to competent programmer.

In essence though, there are 3 sections to an Arduino program:

1. The introduction where you do stuff like set out names for the connections you are going to use e.g. to light the nav lights, strobe etc

2. The "Setup" section where you do stuff that you only need to do once.

3. The "Loop" section where you go round and round in circles (just like life really) waiting for, say, a button to be pressed or (in my case) an infrared signal. When something happens that you're interested in you tell the program what to do e.g. switch the strobe on then wait for half a second.

When you've written a bit of code you want to test, you "build" it (revealing a bunch of mistakes to fix) then "upload" to the Arduino board via the USB cable (which, incidentally, can be used to power the board as an alternative to the dedicated power connection).

My main advice is get it all up an running on the bench before installing into your model. If the kit you ordered includes a "breadboard" and a bunch of bare ended wires, this is ideal for prototyping.

I have sample code to make things flash etc when you're ready.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I got the ide set up & the web editor looks to be recognising the board.  I had a look at a couple of example codes & their wiring models.  Think I need to hook up an led to one of the ports & see if I can get it going on & off. Will probably start with one of the pre written blocks of code & start modifying it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Arduino to flash an led last night - now can’t get it to load a null programme to clear it!  I have my stepper motors and motors for the engines.  Only thing I don’t seem to be doing is any modelling!  Kind of missing that.  At some point I will break & get a normal kit out & start building.  Currently waiting:

F-4G

RF-4E

Lynx

Alphajet

And now on the way a Fiat G.91 Gina

Not to mention the F-27 scratch build and the control tower hand rails

Oh, and I got some 2 part resin today to play with.  I fancy casting some ground equipment wheels for some more trolleys & stuff.  
And I really like that Valom Islander kit.....

• Like 1

If you post the code of the "null" program, I'll take a look. I've never tried to upload a program that does nothing on purpose - usually this happens by accident when trying to make it do something "clever".

Lynx gets my vote for what it's worth. Motorised rotors! Yay!

So quick shot of the delivered supplies

HBLciNf.jpg

Arduino unit, motors for props, leds and stepper motors.  Bit disappointed with the stepper motors - looks like they will hog a load of the available ports.  Was really hoping for a simple linear actuator function but these are more complex.  Giving serious consideration to scraping the working ramp function and just doing lights & motors with Arduino for sequence.  

Kirk, as ever, you are a bad influence!  I suppose you would want working lights in the Lynx too, like I did with the Apache.  I don’t think there is as much hidden space inside the Lynx kit though.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Behave Kirk!  Think the Lynx is a long way down the build list.  I don’t tend to have much confidence with copters.

Bit of work on the Herc today.  Might need a thread if it’s own - Work on the Herc sounds a catchy title.  Have been playing with the cockpit set up & trying to figure how to light it subtly & not have a spotlight shining out of the windows.  As the main view seems to be most light came from the panels I thought I would try to put leds behind the panels.  Then use silver foil to stop light bleed in the wrong places. Something a bit like this

UCqGkNL.jpg

And this

DTPYnIp.jpg

tTXpDSw.jpg

With the central light I was also also thinking of letting some light bleed down in to the front wheel well - I am sure some light would be down there for night time start up / taxiing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kirk said:

Wrap LED and a bundle of fibre optic filaments in aluminium foil then black tape. Poke fibre optics into instruments

Could do, could also pe all the displays.  But no opening canopy here, really just looking for a warm instrument glow from the cockpit windows.  Plus I do have a day job & want to get this done eventually.  My time might be better spent.  And I might have got an eBay win that is going to take some serious time.  Not arrived yet & need to sneak it in to the garage I think

I looked again at the photos, and to my surprise there is no steel reinforcement (rebar) visible before the concrete is poured. The pouring casings are already mostly installed, but no rebar. Yet in the one photo where the shelter's exhaust is missing, I see lots of rebar sticking out vertically. I'm confused 😗

Rob

Interesting looks almost like a precast inner set of ‘tubes’ in sets of 3 - can be seen laying on the ground in photo 9 - then a reinforced outer casing poured over it.  I have not seen many pics of them being built.  Thanks for sharing them

On 1/26/2020 at 3:34 PM, Kirk said:

I have visions of a 1:24 International Space Station...

More like the Space Odyssey Pace Station - would live one of those.

Sadly no, a little nearer to earth.  Still 1/48 and another 4 engine job and those 10,000 rivets flying in close formation...

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Interesting looks almost like a precast inner set of ‘tubes’ in sets of 3 - can be seen laying on the ground in photo 9 - then a reinforced outer casing poured over it.  I have not seen many pics of them being built.  Thanks for sharing them

The inner tubes are steel, I've seen that up-close. I just found two photos, also from Soesterberg, but maybe a later-generation TAB-V:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AirBaseSoesterberg_Shelter610_02.jpg#/media/File:AirBaseSoesterberg_Shelter610_02.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AirBaseSoesterberg_Shelter610_04.jpg#/media/File:AirBaseSoesterberg_Shelter610_04.jpg

The third photo in the 'NIMH Beeldbank' link that I posted above, right side, shows a lot of rebar for the rear wall, and a bit of rebar for the cilindrical shell. But I still cannot find any rebar in any of the ready-for-pouring photos.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

Found some more information:

-  Soesterberg had 18 first-generation TAB-Vs built in 1969. They had an inside width of 48' / 15.79 m. They were semi-circular, and had a one-piece door with a faceted 'bulge'. From earlier research I learned that this strange shape came about because the faceted bulge used to be the doors on the very earliest version (not built at Soesterberg). These doors were deep inside the shell, maybe 20% of the length of the shelter. To open inside a semi-circular shape, the required a strange shape. The whole of the inset wall plus doors was later placed at the front of the shelter, with everything welded together.

- In 1975, 17 second-generation TAB-Vs were built, with a 71' / 21.58m inside width, and suited for the F-15. These were oval-shaped, and had two doors with heavy steel beam bracing.

The aerial construction photos definitely show the first generation.

Rob