Building a HAS

Did a last coat of filler on the Sluf and then re primed it.  Gaps looking ok now

ixwgNoaL-0k7fIvZt3e46qJOzFD7K5L4Wcvnwh8I

New sensor under the nose from a bit of scrap plastic

-JVupXU9zTDmKjL6fmNsK2oeSPrnAAwr93Z2uyKo

And new seat cut cut from its base & test fitted in the pit.

have pre shaded and put n a mid grey coat.  Check it tomorrow & see how it’s doing

So paint on the A-7 and up on her blutaced on wheels.  Quite pleased with the colours

T0_B94yoSiaji7HrEhhLLi3hO7XaZLZOAu021ge0

The flaps and rudder are balanced on, the canopy is on with blutac.  Many little jobs to do before thinking about decals but this one has come together in a way that the Viggen just didn’t want to.

5GirPquEBzA9h4yL3QwDF9aHoQJA0AKTpkGwI7WW

Bit of paint on the seat.  Does compare nicely with the kit one

vWDrC1ElYOGCwKMesP3EByncPNsh64Xbr5a-gMX6

And in the cockpit

jDoIRYXShFz4zb_oXRR6cP_gxJ-CCOiQ9oTMKjnf

The cockpit needs a gun sight.

The wheels are glued on and the front wheel well doors are on.  Base coats are on the canopy, top still to do.  Pylons are done and main wheel well doors are ready.  Just cockpit step doors to be done.  And need to make up the little sensors on top just behind the nose.  The kit doesn’t have them so will make some up.  Then can decal her.

Progress today has seen the gun sight built & installed, canopy front section glued in place, all undercarriage doors on and the steps fitted.  Kit parts are all done, just the two sensors on the nose to make and fit before decals go on

a_fTe_N9dvnyC4F3C3FtFpwk1zrnThJzR0MnndpO

• Like 1

And the two little sensors either side of the nose are made & fitted.  Need to give her a dust over with a clear coat and then it will be decals.  Got to start thinking about the main FOD cover soon.

cMoeHyYySJ1X1TG5wnwryluKUYWe1XOpD7IkTq8b

• Like 1

Got to say someone told me it wasn’t a good kit, and it has its issues, but it’s definitely grown on me.  Kind of reminds me of an eager puppy, keen to please!

So calling the A-7 finished.  Needs some good outside photos but with the wind outside I think it would have taken flight. So this isher decalled up and posed

RlBgZ75HNbB9SUIKkyX29CNJag3pQhflDu3KeG6A

Now I always liked the pic with the branded FOD cover on

3569224687_1f9911381a_b.jpg

so this is my attempt

IgZvocUS6Z4YkPnx1KzkKtjRfU20E2CyoBumHk5j

So just about done then.

And this is my 2019 output so far

f8jjtqP1ULnFjS_dIgIfbmKmEdenMbyePKJGDeNq

At least 4 or 5 in the stash waiting to get a look in, ranging from this

s-l300.jpg

to the FGR2 and the TSR2.  That little Sita has something I can’t put my finger on.  Tempting to paint it in RAF colours, or try to convert her in to a Bulldog

• Like 1

Quite liking the little MBB Flamingo.  Would love to know if any of these ever made it to the UK.  Might have to settle for a  Tarangus 1/48 kit at some point if I want a Bulldog

wpbMj0ZWAxzU3QvCKgd3wd4epANq4l0HpPcx2u0Q

Edited by bar side

Want to get the Sluf outside for some RFI photos but the wind just won’t play ball.  Oh well time to get on.  Work has stated on the FGR2

cEJC62u50_CI90ZOhOPJg-6ciqp5HLZOVv2F06ya

that cockpit & kit seats look ok, so no resin for this one.  Think I am settled on building a Wildenrath blue tail this time.  Tempted to get another as I do want a 56 Sqn red tail too

Putting together the tub.  All goes nicely, looks the part.

Gcr3H8FXWshW4ybyOVk1d-57MTN4p6rbuOfo7l6C

Might even start getting some primer on there & the seats

Test fit in the fuselage.  Nothing else goes in there before the body closes.  This could be a quick build....

8xvXbpaaKLNwbktEi57jVI1Um9JnnkE8lP4yV5xx

• Like 1

Very nice work on the cockpit. Plenty of photos of your build please as I've picked up one of these kits today. Down in Cornwall for the week and just stopped off at Trago Mills and they had one of these for £21.49, a bargain I reckon. The only hitch was having the wife with me when buying 'another one'. She asked me when I'm going to build it and if I'd built the one she bought me for Christmas (knowing full well I haven't!)

@Filler £21.49 is a bargain.  My missus would have realised that either and refuses to buy any for me.  But I seem to keep acquiring them though!  It’s not a complex kit like the Tornado is.  But this is my 3rd F-4 of varying types so I guess it looks familiar enough.  No cockpit decals but lots of nice raised detail to pick out.  Get that together & the fuselage follows pretty quickly.  I guess next is wings on & try to minimise the joint underneath.  Then external bits, cover up the wheel wells & other hatches and primer.  Really looks that straight forward.  Why they had to have the nose in two parts I will never know

@bar side, I've not opened it up yet, but the nose cone is two halves? That's a bit daft. FOD covers sounds a good idea as they are pretty large intakes and I guess the lack of depth will be quite apparent.

I doubt my missus will ever buy a kit again nor sanction one. I guess it'll be back to craftily sneaking them in and up into the loft after delivery to work. Getting married certainly has put the brakes on my kit buying, which given how little building I do is in truth a good thing.

I must finish my Tornado and Jet Provost and then really must build this Phantom to prove a point if nothing else. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy watching your progress.

Interesting Jet Provost kit @Filler - definitely one I am watching.  Really want a JP and a Bulldog or Chipmunk to go with with Dominie & Hawks.

My usual Phantom intake approach is to print a pic taken down an intake & stick it at the back where the blank plate is.  It’s not a classy solution, but as I said I will fit FOD covers anyway so no one will see.  They look something like this

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/phantom/full/raf99326.jpg

The build has wing halves together and the pit in one side

nFwdgpdR9rLZQ9KsGCHfVqN4UE139NB7Xj9z9mtF

Posed with the other half on - not glued yet - resting on the wings and with another single piece nose on from another Phantom kit

umfQcJ5xF99wauqjeLgqCbIg7WyQ7UcmRKPIkDSy

Kinda think it might be ready for primer this week....  Wondering about doing the varying greys by Tamiya LAG underneath, wings primed dark & fuselage and wing tips lighter, pre shade & then Humbrol 64 over the top.  That’s roughly how I did my Tornado F3

• Like 1

Couple of pics of the cockpit area before the fuselage goes together

M4QLqUbgvOiyqdJX-Vkao_GzQDzA92iyVFWit78I

8sHNg1tZtcfbWIo8_O8YKg1y-PG2WNWXFjMYZW6G

So with that having dried over night it was time to seal up the fuselage.  The wings are now together to, and the kit nose halves together.  Test fit of the wings, tail parts, and intakes.  Looking like a Phantom now

cjDScs3lVkwk9l7eyjxmqAwNFnZxZV0VCvXr-Q_0

You dont stop, do you? Nice work.

Re the Phantom seats - I found the Eduard PE belts n gubbins worked well on both of mine should you fancy it.

Keep it up!

Cheers RMP.  Might have a look at the PE as your Phantom seats looked the business.  The kit seats are nice in this kit.  I haven’t glued in the seat bit yet, just put the frame together so I can take out the green part to help fit belts

vmer_QvNfFBoyD_XacklpOU373gepYD7sfAi0fu0

Spotted this as a reference photo

c750ab9ea55f800174d0f4412b5fe58a.jpg

The original plan was to do tape belts & use some spare PE buckles.

• Like 1