Building a HAS

Test fitting the body - bit of tidying up of the cockpit area.

hwxLp8q3wouZVR7ujK-XpPfEmVRYm0HIjwusawB_

Fun putting the body together as there are no locating pins.  This kit is weird.  The body is brittle (bit missing where the orange part is - starting to fix that).  The wings  & other parts are fairly normal plastic.  Even the main wheels have no locating socket.  It feels like a short run kit.  Anyway, main wings are on.  Lots of filler next to start to get this thing straight.  Canards and tail fin are just balanced on.

3dTGyLb35S-G8_zIzl5jdvis6XVfqYKFLBQUq87U

Busy day today - went to see the Tornado farewell flypast at Honington first

ux1R1B4GzlrJKqqGvJzd7F80LA8ERAuKUhVLG_Xc

Sad to see them go.

Then a stop at the Heath & got lucky with a couple of returning Reapers

7iJ6vh-Wp2UG04ab3WnONT6XfbF2lX4pQ7sEJh5p

Then to the Hall with Ospreys on the circuit and a Rvet Joint

YOicNZKFOggWlHkdl6tnRIDjVkzY5vAXjAzHf8Ye

w20Z5uoHvV_FDH-5HydPfplnV6bGP7rOX6BZvC6O

And back home in t8me for tea!

New arrival by post too - a SLUF

8Y2PpbPStfqpz2_qgHjQgpkGUFT2qCCLAX7pTOqc

Fancied doing this in camo as seen at the Hall airfete years ago

3569224687_1f9911381a_b.jpg

The Viggen build is just about done.  Top coat paint went on yesterday

zEJ8CMeExpx7hVHmWBACVV7cWtMuohnlq5J8am50

IELiXKvi-W8q3k72hhXhMF15K28MG7wU8FUAiCcn

And decals on & bits tidied up today.  Don’t have a suitable 52 decal for the tail (have both too big and too small!) so that will wait

6qJaAfCg-DA11xrfyEgaAFaQ3h8kc-o_vna12S2V

she is a formidable sized jet.  Here with the Jag for comparison 

XlrsjzuHOOJoT7kQF5z3n76-kpBznJzkWsoi3EN1

• Like 1

Checked out the Viggen references & found a few snags.

1. Undercarriage should be aluminium not white 

2. Main undercarriage doors should be closed when on the ground

3. Viggens don’t seem to have rbf tags on the pitot tube (have seen some, but most pics show without)

so wheels & undercarriage have had a hasty coat of aluminium, doors have closed an I made some FOD covers

FOD template made

r9ZqAmm2ONz6-3ougMwXg0HKevGAj6FsURMHlow3

Then two with handles

HbXsM0n87vOBGYbQ1wqdfxd7WATEyWQB1QQdWUIA

Painted & fitted

KYmr0WK7DvVqncqZaP5jUhzYNzs77HZiTGSHyXN0

NpNUXiR1po9O7ZtMDv4bb4_L0JEzvsFd3hbAMjQz

So just need some diorama pics now.

The next build dilemma is now takng hold

HfbZf-uMTHBaTR0lXkP2oPmPQe27UsfnmCX2rDAn

i am holding off on the FGR2 for now, so Bentwaters F-16C or A-7?  Have to say I like the look of Scrappy

3569224687_1f9911381a_b.jpg

A Mildenhall visitor and the decals are in the set!

Then went back in doors and got the SLUF out of its box

SCmUtgm7UX9fpVAbjtkJnnPeMi_6O5DKE4ITuh_v

It seems that the kit of a US Navy A-7E includes the parts for an airforce A-7D.  Result.  The boom refuelling receiver as an alternative to the navy probe is going to be handy.  One sensor under the nose intake will need to be built but that’s about it so far.  The seat isn’t bad but not great either so I ordered a nice resin one

Well @Kirk there are not too many parts.  Bit like an old matchbox kit really.  Going to take some time filling & smoothing it out,  but I had some time on my hands last week to get it going.  Was, like the Jag & Viggen, an old slightly pre started kit.  Building up to starting the FGR2

Appreciated the GR5 shots in the HAS by the way. One of the books I have detailed the actual plans to disperse them into previously identified supermarkets if the tanks ever started rolling west. The idea was to smash in the main windows & use the store as a hangar/fuel depot/arsenal with the car park as the take-off / landing pad. There's  a scale diorama for some brave soul to attempt... :)

Sounds interesting.  I grew up in Colchester with the garrison all around - was even born in the military hospital.  I did know of a school that had its tennis courts either designed or tested to land heavy helicopters on if needed.  At one time I lived just outside the garrison and the Pumas used to come low over the house and land on the green in the middle of the garrison which was open to the public.  You could hold nip round & watch the Puma sit there with rotors running while a land rover or two would come over, off load and they would head off.  There were always rumours of special forces being based there so you never quite knew who was getting on board.

Been liking resin seats lately, especially with older kits.  Do you think it was worth getting one for this? Comparison of the kit seat (already painted by the previous owner when I got it) and the new resin one

BKCTkO8g_rGyUfAPwHq30UfuYANG8hMlpjYScAvs

Think it’s worth it!

Enjoying your choice of subjects and envious of your work rate as always.

After market is a pricey game but I agree that seats are worth every penny in most kits. I'd even go as far as saying the completely wrong resin seat is usually better than kit seats.

I don't know if it's a perspective thing but, it looks like you could fit a pair of resin seats side by side compared to the kit seat width.

1 minute ago, Filler said:

I don't know if it's a perspective thing but, it looks like you could fit a pair of resin seats side by side compared to the kit seat width.

Your right Filler, the kit seat was designed to fully fill the space.  The real sized seat is somewhat skinnier!  Know what you mean about aftermarket, add the decals, the seat, the postage etc, but the kit was cheap, so I don’t mind as much.  Would resent paying it on a new modern standard kit.  But then the Revell FGR2 kit seats should be decent, will they give me resin seat need?

I'd say they'll be perfectly fine. Of course it's subjective and there are many who will feel that they need greater accuracy but I wouldn't know a MB Mk10a from a Mk10b if I was sat in one.

23 hours ago, Filler said:

I'd say they'll be perfectly fine. Of course it's subjective and there are many who will feel that they need greater accuracy but I wouldn't know a MB Mk10a from a Mk10b if I was sat in one.

With you there.  The kit seats in the Revell Tonrnado F3 were pretty good.  Not far off resin standards & that is plenty good enough for me.

Now I have a bad habit for picking up pre started kits from eBay - the Jag, the Viggen, the Sluf.  But the latest one has them beat.  Arrived today.  I have long fancied a vacform kit but haven’t found many available / in my price range / that I wanted to build.  And the other day I spotted a kit that just caught my attention and I put in a bid.  And ended up winning.  It’s a bit of a beast....

hcBeGatTUc9gzl4mulCqkH2gcRh6KpHDCWQf8V-D

• Like 1

THat TSR2 has got me thinking about how to tackle it.  Vacform basics so what to do?  The whole Airfix kit with many extra parts would cost less than buying after market stuff.  So budget will win I think.  The resin cockpit set on eBay looks great but I think I will stick with seats (the kit has none) and build the pit.  I fancy making sure wheel well detail, but the doors are tiny so little will be visible.  The jet exhausts need work.  And bomb bay doors open?  Would look nice.

All this is taking me away from the Sluf