Building a HAS

Finished off some bits on the control panel & fitted some nose weight (couldn’t remember if it was needed, but it’s there anyway) so thought I might was well seal up the fuselage.  Considering it has been stuck together, pulled apart & then stuck  back together again it went together nicely.  As RMP said I got a pretty straight one.  Nose extension is on - much worse fit, but working on that.  Some filler around the body joins.  Intakes, wing, tail fins and canopy are loose fitted.  Testing the centre of gravity with the undercarriage and all seems good.

2TtvDzv9WWFcuKihyCEmsvTANQKbxUmuEfY-QjbR

going to have to check & measure everything, but I am sure that when the body & main wheels are all square & level the right wing tip is lower than the left.  Slightly warped wings?  Not sure, going to have to check it out

Moving things along a bit today.  First task is new closed side intake doors.  Plasticard in & then sand back flush

ojGhvyxx4HDyCXseavOL_Q8aj7FhB29rmLHZwVnc

Seat painted up 

h_sP404wjanHbHzBgc8ubqsuTTKflxVq-Mjlcdh7

And posed in the cockpit

xjVUTHos7i7ff8o7L9BSc7HSgI6SVUYOSQ0uunB3

And intakes fitted - going to need some filler & sand paper to get those joints smooth.  Will be easier to do it before the wings go on

T2RimDT4nxhp5SLgX2ntUcZIeaEWzw4fFS69eRfW

Been building up the undercarriage too

Intakes filled & sanded back, wings on

f-ERkbmQliae_Fzm4DFnvCdDF2xTChKTlh2N7etp

AytitpJgCzxi8ENcRELgFRcxWS1kUIyDxyIXRHpd

starting to look the part.  I like looking at the wheel wells in the bottom picture and seeing the space ahead rather than the blank plastic face.

• Like 2

Right time to get some paint on.  

krUg9j8wDetAFJ6v-fnq7i0skdoDjjj6ftdX00II

i have tended to use light grey to prime & preshade over it.  However I haven’t made it to the model shop for a while & the local QD has a new range of car & crafting spray paints.  The primer grey is a bit darker than I wanted, but worked fine on the GR5.  And at £1.99 a tin its a bit of a bargain.

rOvpeLVmtnNNOFvW7GKbppUelI_-2ZulIgkyJLFW

So now I have a Jag that looks all set for the Indian Air Force

ke9-i1Cka_ybKSCudl8aIM7UmL7jFhfU66mzvW2l

Did wonder if the green would just go over primer.  Might try it with the drop tanks & see how it looks.

Loving your work as usual. I finished this kit at the end of last year and whilst it was a very challenging experience for me, it is actually a nice kit. And you're proving that it really does have scope to elevate it with some great extra detail. I'm even feeling inspired to try again and try and replicate some of the improvements you've made.

Does remind me that I need to repair mine though. The missus decided to pick it up and 'fly' it round to amuse her nephew in a Skype call. It's now missing its speed breaks - and they were a swine to glue on in the first place!

• Like 1

@bar side I will be interested to see the next stage of painting, as I live some distance from a LMS, DIY warehouse or Halfords but do have a QD locally. My experience of cheep primer has been somewhat mixed and it would be good to get a reliable local source. 

3 hours ago, Filler said:

Does remind me that I need to repair mine though. The missus decided to pick it up and 'fly' it round to amuse her nephew in a Skype call. It's now missing its speed breaks - and they were a swine to glue on in the first place!

Made me smile!  Thankfully my wife is really not bothered by them & doesn’t I know them up.  My last Jag is still about but got lots of ideas from it that have gone into this one.  Always learning...

0AeN0rtFm9kRqY0x2B7upTwMPqNbR11K7T3TpeS5

3 hours ago, Paul821 said:

@bar side I will be interested to see the next stage of painting, as I live some distance from a LMS, DIY warehouse or Halfords but do have a QD locally. My experience of cheep primer has been somewhat mixed and it would be good to get a reliable local source. 

Well have to say that some far the 99p rattle can is ok.  Previous cheap primers were patchy with an uneven finish & colour.  I wouldn’t feel bad leaving the paint on display.  It’s not far off a Humbrol 165 medium sea grey, but matt rather than satin finish.  I got the matt black too and am intrigued by the chrome.

So this is the next challenge.  Until now I have painted all of my grey / green RAF builds with Humbrol 163 green and 164 dark sea grey.  And then Humbrol stopped making the 164 spray cans.  So need an alternative.

This is the grey primer compared to a previous build

JFib_hJDazmWU_YVRspR55nQZnR2TOPuVftB2bRz

So as it stands this grey isn’t a runner.  Quick dig through the garage turned up this selection

HvKLrxYeEOJL1wPclf9Ao4g5oTL3rTpF9qG1uQQE

Sprayed a sample of each on to a piece of card to see if any match up

jig22YNxlzKn5PfMlVLkSlLZzlo3QFJNpMoqUsYW

Not really!  The card has (left to right) Tamiya AS-27, Humbrol sea grey 27, Humbrol mid sea grey 165 and QD 151 primer.

kuQfsvS-Wbppl9T0JQmupRB2hyopisVUK9XMb4rG

i feel a trip to the model shop to try & find a colour.  Might get away with a light coat of 27 over the primer

Did a test with a dust over the primer with the Humbrol 27 & it looked ok.  As it is darker, I was wondering about going a bit darker underneath & leaving it to look a bit more faded on the top.  Try to do similar with the green too.  However the garage temperature at the moment makes almost all spraying a no-go.  The paint goes too blobby.  

Anyway, have done some preshading ready to dust on another coat of primer when the time comes

Sitting on her own attached undercarriage, and now with chisel nose

S7_gyh_K9_MT_BblVP7SitByrUUlT8pUYVfZ-WBl

Wheel well doors & airbrake are painted ready to go on.  Need the nose sensors and paint the canopy game now

Purchased a distraction today

ZJ5r_cBTCMQCZpfJGiIlQJ5rAEx6UmW6CW9eTR0z

now looking at references photos & not getting on with decals on to the Jag

-sBlpThVZ8f4_mpQrTnTJj2cxURQV6Tf3pDemF_4

Thinking 56 Sqn red tail but no shark mouth.  But the 19 & 92 Sqn schemes look good too

• Haha 1

I was playing about with the load out for the Jag.  Thinking of going old school with a centre line tank and two bombs under each wing

-6EzkLGSHFUMGl5kCGeSCFjVrYTFdtEnautO2EpH

Also got on to decals.  She has s XX729 of 54 Sqn Coltishall.  Still needs a clear coat but other than that she is getting there

uMVoRcFWA4LquqACZaCNNPNf6g_P5NqOE5TnjWrf

Thanks Matt @BadKarma75 A camo Jag has been on my wish list for a while.  Think the only 70s & 80sgrey / green one evading me now is a Buccaneer but they are pricey.

The stash is building up with the new Phantom looking at me from the sideboard. An F-16 with Bentwaters markings is queuing, and a Viggen was nearing the top of the list.  Plus a nice Airfix Lynx is trying to get a look in.  Trouble is if the Phantom is a nice build I can see another one coming along too.  And I really fancy a Jet Provost, Bulldog or Chipmunk. Going to be busy for a while yet

The FGR2 call is strong, but I put off the Viggen to do the Jag, so time to go back & have ago at it.  So what do I know about Viggens?  Nothing!

It seems that Viggens started out as ground attack aircraft (AJ-37) variant and later came the fighter / interceptor JA-37. The ESCI/Revell kit I have is based on the shorter AJ I think.  Not even considering the splinter camo.  So looking for a grey AJ & found the Sweedish airforce historic flight 52.  Not sure if this is how she looked operationally, or if I can find some suitable 52 decals.

1920px-Saab_AJS-37_Viggen_37098_52_(SE-D

Trying some load out on the Jags.  The grey / green Jag I believe lasted until 92 so a load of iron bombs and centre line tank may not be quite right, but that was the load out on the 1/72 kit I built years ago

r5Q371azPgdjT5kYjvUiL4zbMg0Q_56aR_eh_WdW

Started on the Viggen kit today.  The seat is all wrong, so deciding between the kit one and the unused Jag one to see which is better to cut about.  Drilled out the backs of the intakes and started extending the tail which is a bit short.  Flaps are being posed down on the main and canards, and the rudder is being angled to one side

PhpIAHx50xxdwCvOXUkmCesqz9yIpAJDDGZ9PViP

Sunday night beer while some film I am avoiding is on the living room

• Haha 1