Building a HAS

The wing tip RCVs need to go a kind of buff clour, and I managed to remove the rear lower slime bar decals when I picked it up, so need to make up somethin* to go there.  Needs to properly dry over night & then get its clear coat

Put her on s buscuit tin to try & get the profile better!

GMd8D3O38lQ3oPBf7W6kJ99EQhBn-0wNlT3bmjm4

WvZJI9kdHjEI8ll6HoXOEywAH-iBCT4osCXc1RjK

• Like 1

Iirc, the buff colour is over the Electronic Warfare System receivers (although I may be confusing myself with the Zeus system which came in with the GR7s - when each wingtip had 2 bumps). The Reaction Control System outlets are just inboard of the wingtips and as you'd expect have openings on both sides of the wing. When the shutter moves upwards, a deflector vane on its edge directs hot gas downwards and vice versa. I think the amount of heat they have to deal with means they are some fancy pants titanium/nickel/unobtanium alloy hence the colour. Think the formation lights sit outboard of the RCVs - they may be a bit further aft.

Quick clear coat and the hairy stick on the wingtips.  Not fully done but pretty much there.  So time for some pics - first with the GR3 cousin

L0raYoMIP32jMapuOPpQdCV0C6ntZTNqMc-9OHkD

No time or weather to set up the HAS so off to the workshop instead

ygLXVkfaw-IHRV-l7XZr0RP2RxgggNru7d9Jxb06

56rtSQRaNFxThgdNYE7-F5N4z5R0sH1LS1r8lVd0

oeDDcmRclwOl0_pp5SEvmKKtyFVmOoT3v7POFpV-

• Like 2

Cheers @RichO & @Kirk.  Looking forward to posing the GR5 in the HAS, weather & daylight permitting. 

He isn’t the pilot Kirk, he wouldn’t be trusted with that sort of thing.  Only getting up to the cockpit since she is inside.  As I was reading your post my cat decided to walk across my lap, but didn’t settle in his usual on-Blofelds-lap position. 

Quick visit to the HAS today will I had a few minutes.  I realised after taking the pics that one of the hoists on the tank rack was falling off so the pics of that side are no use.  These were savable

z6wLBiN_6rlXBfosTd1WGiN-llMgc6NLBKCKK9ZY

you can see it hanging off here!

HF3AQUGAWSLADniqsyFEa3TOE5bpHQobk6eURnvT

_-JR4PMDVqRa80N5cXc28Vi8GZgWWuDQnc87P5um

9YVYTsKx1x9Dz8uFJtZPogTGjEDGd3i8f8iNhAOR

• Like 2

The Harrier is going to need a further trip to the HAS once she has FOD covers & rbf tags in place.  

But for nw what to start next?  I had planned to start an F-16 in short lived Bentwaters markings.  I have the kit and decals ready to go, then I got the Viggen kit.  That will need a new seat, few modifications (tail height, body length etc) and possibly new decals.  And then on eBay the other day I got hold of another Jaguar. There is a gap in my fleet for a wrap around camo Jag but that may need a new seat and new decals.  Plus the F-27 scratch build keeps looking at me from the bench.  It’s not dead, just resting...

So what next?

WEylcym_iHQzgrcIZqn-UunAtLofBZMMRclyL9V3

Well the Jag kit is for a GR3 but by all accounts there isn’t any real difference between that & the GR1 kit, so wrap around camo GR1 has to be the way to go.  The kit was cheap as it was already started, so first thing to do is pull the built bits apart.  Think it’s going to be the Jag next!

Tried to get some daylight on the GR5 today, not that there was much of it about.  Mid afternoon & the outside light came on when I walked in front of the sensor!

wtq1fQxUC6xDqDPIbLKEyCTcsP46OBnJb-ozGSe8

slsB1hQ31aQOeQ8j0IF4owe-51dsw3LqKrd8ZrlX

PRZE9I5FM1jp_YVllYIjoqCXai2wUzG_LEMnrUYZ

XoTXnbD8Oo4WQ7YtOE9fEQcWdWxvTW1b-hLSDntj

• Like 1

So this is the usual suspect Jag kit

1dxXFtjcan910UyqYbBIihvWkToXkLsQFfIMgeoz

Got it cheap (sub tenner inc postage) as the previous owner had started it.  First job will be splitting it apart again

uojWqw-0xWSCLvzqi3jVppQ8kDjKxhZL_3VBWScz

Think the cockpit will be fairly standard kit, but with a few extra bits and the resin seat.  Always fancied opening up the undercarriage doors, but they are always closed unless taking off or in for servicing.  However going to drill out the front of the main gear bay and box in the forward part of the bay.  Sure there are more basic improvements to be made.  Think I will have another look at Massimo’s build of the Revell version for ideas

Got the fuselage apart & checked out the condition of the cockpit.  Not great, but savable.  Going to wait for the new seat before doing much more.  Not going etch, but it can be improved.

-1NVmkZBJQpI-fHEY4m64k3gwXs6uC1BeijJuCCA

As you can see from the first shot as well I have opened up the front of the main wheel wells.  I regretted not doing it with the last Jag, so doing it this time.  

y-8pck_CKjXbpJi19NY_BqUsSeoJRfzxEfsLavkX

I as going to build the wheel wells wells out of plasticard, but realised that they won’t ever be seen, so started with some card.  Some wire to go in & some paint and it will look better than a blank plastic block that shouldn’t be there

sC-hAH0agXLvAw1RLAWxFY6Nq0sGbchWR8_uFfn1

Top can go on the wheel wells once the rest is built up.

I wondered what she would look like with wings - almost ready for paint!  (No they are not glued on!)

wZAH0WRHdKm-ZwoqKIXmKmHNLoVmUVpUsNL-6Wx6

Looks like you got a pretty straight one, well done!

Will you be opening up the intake on the spine?

Also - is there a secret to getting the main gear sitting correctly with Jags? I have had little luck with the KH or Airfix in this regard, puts me off building the rest of them in the stash.

Yes looks a pretty good one.  The spine vent never looks good so will be worth trying it.  Can’t find a good picture of the duct shape, depth etc though

Ah, Jag main gear.  No secret, no idea either!  The last jag gear seemed to fit well when dry fitting & was hopeless when it was all assembled.  So tempted to fit it very early on & paint it in situ.  That should make it solid & level.  I think last time I propped it on the wings while the gear dried and there is a very good chance the wings weren’t entirely warp free & level.

i fancy a bit of pipe work running down in to that extended wheel well.  Tricky to get a good clear shot as those front bay doors were rarely open.  But found this

normal_mas-10.jpg

Those two two bigger pipes would almost be visible 

normal_mas-09.jpg

and I always had the colour in there as more green, so it will now be more yellow

need some more plumbing in the front we’ll too

normal_mas-16.jpg

normal_mas-17.jpg

Iirc you need to be a little careful on you Jag seats. The earlier ones had the original Mk.9 seat with the main parachute in the back pad space, whereas the very latest versions had an updated seat with the parachute re-located to the head box (like your resin one). I think. Probably. But you need a bona-fide Jaguar expert.

Kirk

I have seen this picture of 54 Sqn still in grey green in 89

1425324-large.jpg

so I assume they would have the later style seat.  I figured I should do a Colishall Jet as I have already covered Wattisham, Lakenheath, Alconbury, Wyton, Wittering, Bentwaters, so steadily working my way around East Anglia

I put some HAS shots of the GR5 on RFI today at 

Got a little bit done in the Jag too.  Couple of larger pipes running in to the wheel wells.  Plus a little detail in the nose wheel well.  As this was already stuck in I left the square moulded block in what looks like the wrong place and put in a new one where it should be.  Going to run some wires over the moulded box to hide it a bit 

jbtHLUIZJFa1exMkUyyvbH0Y8J6zBqHKsm3ryyN_

Still got to cut out the spine vent.  Can’t decide if the extended wheel well section will be visible from the intakes - might try to make some kind of duct to hide it,  it the Jag will normally have FOD covers on anyway.  Then need to start on the cockpit.  Not going etched, so going to try to make the best of the plastc & decals

Bits done today - decided I couldn’t live with the lump in the wrong place in the front wheel bay, so out with the dremel.  And opened up the spine duct

n9-WYUmv81pkefc5F6FIPWKb-IrhkSi0R741mUzf

The seat got the resin base taken off too.  Removing the lump did reveal a big hole.  That has been plated over now, and a box put in the right place with some slightly over scale plumbing, but I think it will do

OrsgXcVptNzYRxT2GVZ_Vh-Fc30nXc3X_rOPee-R

Not sure the gear could actually retract over that lot!

Seats for comparison after a quick coat of paint 

zAZD4YOmZp7yxRDknI9QYHyCaDvnmRHOdti0l9FP

The kit seat still says I could have been fixed up, but the resin one looks the part 

And after a little paint in the front wheel well 

8Uf0ARgvDyYDxj0xpCnXxWUni_jg7bUGBUVoM_S_

A top sheet has gone over the main wheel well boxes& feeding up to the intakes.  The left & right cockpit panels decals are on & the cockpit has a base coat of paint, along with the panel.  More bits to do on the panel & the main body may go back together.