Building a HAS

More bits done today.  Only the flaps on the wings are now held on with blu tac, the rest are fixed on.  The thrust reversers are just sitting on as are the air brakes.  Few antenna attached and the nose is now glued in place too.  Just the wheel well doors to go on & some more small bits & she will be about ready for some decals.

uRdCmxv_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

jBbmTne_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

LNzWJCw_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

So for this weeks concert update - Foo Fighters were excellent last night

ZypEW9x_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Well it doesn’t look much different, but the ar brakes, flats etc are now glued on with most of the clear light lenses.  So basically ready for decals.  Only the weapon load out to follow

VGWkUMs_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

QPpH5Yo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

OivN2yU_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

Contemplating decals at the moment.  The kit comes with loads of white line markings - I assume for the no walk areas on the wing & body.  Now these could stand out quite a lot against the paint job.  Looking at the photos of real F3s if the lines are there they are barely visible

1080167.jpg?v=v40

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX9InbxG3y0DiNNCmc6WC

I think the decals will make it look to much like this (nice build but not how I saw the F3 looking)

2011-08-20TonkaF32.jpg

gut feel is to leave them off or use a white pencil to lightly draw them in

• Like 1

Right tried the pencil lines & they look so much more subtle than white solid line decals so they are staying.  From the looks of it the real lines were done with dots to make them more subtle

Q4dEcyK_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And now for her identity

EuCXy5z_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

So she is ZE809 of 23 Sqn

JmHCRvE_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

BKBYodv_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

6tLZJZ0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Lots more decals to go but she looks ok to me

Calling the main build of the F3 about there.  Loads of no step decals et al, weapon load and FOD covers / rbf tags still needed, but enough progress made to break out the HAS in the back garden

2q7zGnH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

pQA62TL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

So I posted a rfi with some more pics

• Like 3

Working on the load out for the F3.  Thinking that the 4 sky flash will go underneath.  The Hindenburgs will sit alongside in the HAS, maybe getting occasional fitting with blutac (if that will hold the weight!) and the outer two sidewinders will be fitted.  The inner two will stay off, mainly as the foul the flaps at full down!

1ias5yW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

L4mqnuL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Put the no step decals on the tank, just need to put them on the jet now

Edited by bar side

First nelly done the No Step decals - just noticed I missed 2

SgrPs8V_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Gave it a quick clear coat & the white walkway marking seems to have faded away a bit.  Misses & pylons on

VzwMUPo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Need to do FOD covers & rbf tags at some point

• Like 1

So the F3 has FOD covers and 2 rbf tags.  Could do more but starting to look the part

5SNibca_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

So needs posing in the HAS properly but ther than that it’s kind of done.

So looking for something to take up my time.  I should get back to the F27 scratch build.  I should.....

Or another Toom?  Alconbury RF-4C - got the Alconbury decals with the last F-4 build

56Cj1p0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Euro One scheme anybody?

16510721235_e5eb57f480_o.jpg

Or or UK based F-16?  Didn’t know such a thing existed until checking a while back.  And a visit to Bentwaters confirmed things - few nice models there

MQ2wFTI_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Have an Academy kit & decals waiting too....

• Like 1

Started looking at the RF-4C today.  Bit of a change from the Tonka - 18 parts & it looks like a toom.  280 parts on the Tonka.  Just sayin’

5gR7Tei_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

RZ8JLcW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Sitting with the Lakenheath F-4C.  The Italeri kit has raised panel lines, compared to the nicely scribed lines on the ERTL version.

9DUhLFO_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Plus the cockpit looks a bit narrow, could do with some replacement seats.  Is it worth rescribing it badly, or build it as it comes?

• Like 1

Decided the surface detail on the kit isn’t really what I want so started rescribing the wings & tail.  Slow progress.  Need to have a look at the cockpit & kit seats.  A couple of resin seats would be nice but only if the kit seats can’t be worked on

Ot98E9T_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Then I do need to decide on colour scheme & which jet this will be.  Hopefully I can work out a combo of numbers from various sets of decals.

Think I am rushing this RF-4C build a bit.  Not much to the kit so from an I started cockpit to body glued together in a morning

wrN24yR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

lRm6oon_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

here with a fellow USAF UK resident, the Lakenheath F-4D

Think I am rushing this RF-4C build a bit.  Not much to the kit so from an I started cockpit to body glued together in a morning

wrN24yR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

lRm6oon_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

here with a fellow USAF UK resident, the Lakenheath F-4D

Had a play about with some of my jets today - had a mini fighter meet in the garden.  Line up looks ok with a picture background 

cKrGTql_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And the jets on the table

8DugVPH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The RF-4C is coming along steadily.  Fuselage is together, cockpit is about there without seats, camera nose is glazed & together & wings are ready to go on.  Just scratched an ARN-101 antenna on the top of the spine

Mf5Te7u_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bar side said:

Had a play about with some of my jets today - had a mini fighter meet in the garden.  Line up looks ok with a picture background 

cKrGTql_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Cor! Crackingly realistic shot there. For a moment, it was just like being back at a late 80s Mildenhall air show. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well that’s the summer hols done for another year.  Couple of weeks in France & little aviation issues to report.  Stayed under the flight path for Orleans - Bricy air base and saw & heard the occasional C-130 and A-400 but too high to photograph.

Got back to see an Antonov An-124 coming 8n to Wattisham.  Would make a great dio with the nose open & an Apache being unloaded.  Not this time but

6488184771_f8e622ff03_b.jpg

So all in all no progress to report.  And I am holding the RF-4c back for a group build on a Facebook group.  Not supposed to start it until September, build of reconnaissance aircraft.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of progress with the RF-4C.  Been fitting it together and smoothing out the nose & intakes.  The wings are on & today she got a coat of primer.  Ready now to pre-shade and then think about top coat.

Looking suitably toom ish

wtf7Lqr_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And with primer coat, wheels, canopy and seats

A0oeISy_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Work on the RF-4C is about to grind to a halt due to running out of humbrol 93 - couldn’t get a van on Saturday and hopefully my local shop may manage to slip an order in this week.  So the cockpit area hasn’t been done or the canopy frames.  But the est is getting there

here with most of the colour on

DZlYgFW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

then with the engine area dusted over & a black nose

3Bwx4Fg_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And posed up on its wheels with bits balanced on

F37Dklp_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

needs to tone down a bit to match in with her Lakenheath cousin.  And a coat of all over Matt varnish.  Looking ok though

• Like 1