Building a HAS

Thoroughly fed up with handrails on the tower now.  New walkway deck made & simple rail on the front kind of done.  Trying to add a second Bharat and it’s a mess.  Still got stairs, tower top rail & assorted aantennes to do.

a66ZsBH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

so I put it to one side & started a kit.  Interesting starting with building the intakes & engines & wrapping the body around the internals

oswsJ4X_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I see what you mean about handrails being something you dislike most. LOL. Sorry.

The tower is nice to look at with the interior atop.  Nicely done.

Cheers @RichO - ultimately it will just be scene dressing & it’s not an absolute model of anything, but handrails are a very prominent part of how it should look

However the new kit build is coming along pretty easily.  Nice part fit, lots of detail, and coming together easily despite the very large number of parts.  Dry fit of the cockpit with the kit seats roughly assembled & givensome quick paint

yYgwjiV_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

aEstQTC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

Got some paint on the kit seats & cockpit decals on.  I know nice resin parts would be even better, but these kit parts are of a good modern standard & look the part to me

Rtm6Oal_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

m4CgQqO_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Yes @Kirk they have settled nicely over the raised moulded parts.  The fit is really nice on this kit (Revell Tornado F.3) - far better than on the twenty something year old kits I normally do.  So nice that the body slotted around it an almost holds together with no tape.  Here test fitted with a GR.1 cousins from a much more crude kit

EeGN4ya_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Took the wings off the sprue and test fitted them today.  Looks like something found at Everett’s waiting rebuild to display standard! No disrespect to Everetts who have saved many an airframe from scraping

7Y5mENj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

This Tonka keeps getting longer.  Glued the cockpit sides in place & started putting together the engine exhausts & fairings.  Test fit of the top cover and tail to make sue everything is in the right place

36ZGwat_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• 2 weeks later...

Nice trip to the Bentwaters Cold War Mseum today.  Nice people & a nice museum.  Lots of nice models too, especially the F-101 Voodoo, the A-10s and the F-16s.  Lots of inspiration too

eUYT78P_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

GQ2ELBY_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

zDVbBBR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Ds6ekpq_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

nlTMrRR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

More about the museum

http://www.bcwm.org.uk/

So back to the modelling and some more bits together.  Rear part of the fuselage attached, fin surfaces together & more bits tacked on

8RmiSp1_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

Love to get a model up 9n it’s wheels to check cog etc.  So this is the F3 up on its wheels with the aid of tape, blutac, etc.  Bit of paint too

NIv3eiZ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Gave the wings a pre-shade and a quick top coat.  Started with Tamiya light aircraft grey underneath and humbrol 64 on top.

re0W7MG_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

and now fitted to the airframe.  I think one of those bars inside the wing to move the pylons is shot though.

Top is glued on but some other bits (tail upright & horizontals, nose etc) still only on with blutac.

LAL4Fky_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

8TjU3tz_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

You can see the length difference compared to the GR1

• Like 1

Test fitting the slats & flaps on the wing today.  They built up relatively easily, now need to finish off painting them.  I don’t want to fit them until the decaling is done

iL2LKmK_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

HojN9wV_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

Realise late last night that I had the flaps fitted upside down.  So some painting on them has got them about done now

6cbUaMh_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

with the aim of getting a look like this

2rrq879.jpg

so test fitting them the right way up looks something like this

8I66pYP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Getting towards sorting out the identity of this Tonka. The 111 special tail was tempting, but I wanted something earlier than 2002.  The 23sqn option is also a special tail, ZE809

276102_800.jpg

i rather fancied building ZE809 with her standard tail, but the kit decals only come with a white disk behind the squadron red eagle.  Not right for her with a standard tail.

1396123-large.jpg

So an appeal on the wanted section got a very helpful offer from @MADMUSKY I now have a pair of red eagles with no background

5oEBWUy_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

so ZE809 she will be

• Like 2

I was test fitting the fairings over the wing pivots & thought they sat a bit high & the joints stands slightly proud of the top of the body.  While trying to figure out how to smooth it out I spotted a couple of in action shots

118932_800.jpg

Turns out the the real ones sit proud too, so no need to modify

• Like 1

Deep in main body paint on the F3 now.  Primer & preshading done,& some different primer colours used to get different panel shades.  Tail will now be grey so is just about done

UCtvbAB_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

and this is the top of the body before dusting over the top coat

fFcvTnH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

the wings have already been done like this & top coated.  The bottom LAG top coat is on, next to do the sides, fix on the tail and paint the top

• Like 2

After getting the light grey on the underside of the body yesterday I had a go at the  grey on the sides. Then got carried away, glued on the tail and sprayed the rest.  The tail horizontals are just pushed on, and the nose is still loose.  The cockpit needs more work now it is uncovered.  The reverse thrust things are still not there & neither is the undercarriage and the canopy is not at all painted.

but it’s progress I think

hpyDReK_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

624xKWq_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

wBY1ePC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

Up on her own wheels today.  Much like the F.2 Blue Circle radar, she needs some nose weight.  

CNOyJvM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Not long now until decals.  Need some more work on the canopy and external antenna & probes.

The preshading seems to have come out ok, could still do with a wash over to bring out the panel joints.

Xaq7QAR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

Last bits inside the cockpit together.  Looks good to me for detail.  Starting on the canopy painting now. 

GjgKJuj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

oerfdpG_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Not much more progress thanks to a trip on Fathers Day to see Ed Sheeran

k6nRsIx_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Good job with the cockpit.  I had to look up to see who Ed Sheeran was.  Not a clue.  Americans!

16 minutes ago, RichO said:

Good job with the cockpit.  I had to look up to see who Ed Sheeran was.  Not a clue.  Americans!

It’s alright Rich, going to see an American band this weekend - Foo Fighters.  Ed is a local boy from just up the road in Suffolk.  Used to play the local pubs and now plays stadium gigs.  Done alright for himself

Yes @Kirk, but the money, the guitar playing ability, the women, he’s doing alright for himself.  I’ll console myself with the F3!

Today I am mostly thinking tanks.

kGd7Nqs_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The kit has standard tanks and Hindenburgs - the Airfix Jag tanks in grey / green are there for comparison.  Not sure if they carried the big ones on normal uk operation or just for long range & as ferry tanks.  They have just had a quick coat of grey & need some preshading before a top coat.