Building a HAS

Tried out my SEA camo paints today.  Almost too cold in the garage for paint to dry!

These are all humbrol rattle cans - dark green 163, dark green 30 and desert yellow 93

1iMaBpR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Bit light as the test card was white.  Will prime with either light or dark grey

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of little updates.  The F-4 is a nice, pretty viceless kit & would fall together, so I feel the need to unnecessarily complicate things.  The cockpit is pretty basic but the seas aren’t bad.  Just the flat panels with no raised detail & decals for dials.  The section between the seats was flat so I have tried to build it in and there is a gap behind the back seat where the cockpit detail doesn’t reach the body.  So a couple of lasticad extensions.  The cockpit since this pic has some paint and the decals on.  I hope to raise a couple of the dial bezels to give a bit more detail.

1XSgmND_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Theinside of the intakes has had some paint & a clean up.  I tried before using a photo of the view up the intakes rather than modelling the view of the fans.  Might do than again.

In the meantime I have been thinking about the F-111.  The old decals ( well printed Aussie insignia really) are off and the interim canopy removed.  This has now been cut up and reinforced with plastic and strips on the inside and reinstated as a T-bar roof, waiting for new doors

KXdmnaq_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The left hand canopy is the kit one which is scratched and cracked.  The right is a crash moulded replacement with plastic are strips inside.

And in place with the T-bar

mss6tN1_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Will give it 24 hours or so for the glue to dry, by which time the family should be arriving for Christmas, so Happy Christmas to all.  

• Like 3

Cheers @Getunderit - sometime I build things to put in it & sometimes bits for the HAS.  But it does give a ‘theme’ as it dates most builds to late 70s & early 80s RAF and USAF.  Do quite fancy a Tiffy at some point though as the HASes hasn’t changed a lot over time

For a Tiffy, how about a slight mishap when a fixed-wing gets hooked up and damaged by clipping the HAS door. Framies and others are trying to sort it out. 

Or an aircraft is taxied to the wrong HAS while its aircraft is urgently needed to go on a sortie. Confusion and urgency rein the scene for that brief moment.

Just a thought.

Bit of progress with the new F111 canopy.  Fitted & a little green paint on.  The edge ahead of the doors is too thick, but it covers my internal support.  May thin this down a bit.  Now need to build the doors, and start the all over spray job into SEAcamo.

7nd3wDR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Not really painting temperature in th garage at the moment.  Having to bring everything in to the house to dry.  And way, this was the Vark before in pseudo Aussie grey. 

d82txEt_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

and now as the SEA camo goes on

XoWBWvV_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 2

More work done with the spray tins.  Looks pretty good to me now.  No paint underneath yet - should be black but toying with the idea of charcoal & maybe dust some black over.  Will see how it goes.

Mde3sBX_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

3DZsFGT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

njOzIu0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Needs some cockpit doors made up from scratch next I guess.  The decals arrived from Hannants today

Xtradecal_X006-48_Decal.jpg

LN bird of the 493rd it is then

• Like 1

Well as someone pointed out to me this is actually a FB-111A not an F-111F as seen at Lakenheath, but I quite like how she looks.  Done the fod covers & some rbf tags now.  Just need to pose it with the HAS

0dwGzt2_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

15 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Somehow, they have a very threatening stance and the HAS seems to accentuate it. It surprised at the relative size of it and the F-15; always picture the F-111 as being the larger of the 2.

What's up next?

Cheers Kirk

I always thought the HASes were really built for F-111 or TSR2 sized jets, not F-4s and Tonkas.  She looks quite at home in there.  The Vark is quite a bit longer than the F-15, but the Eagle is a surprisingly big bird.  I’ll do a pic of them together at some point.  

Next one is already started - F-4D USAF in matching SEA camo to the F-111.  Something like this

p2066448464-3.jpg

• Like 1

Got some work done on the F-4 tonight.  I like the ERTL / ESCI F-4. It’s big & chunky with nice recessed panel lines.  Bit basic around the intakes, exhausts and cockpit.  

So so I cut out the area behind the engine exhausts but will keep the kit exhaust parts.  Behind them will be two felt tip pen lids giving some depth.

2nsCO5o_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

some idea of the depth this will give can be seen below.  I have used various pen lids on various builds & I think they look the part

i8OYfOR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The cockpit is together now but only decals for instruments.  So a couple of raised instrument bezels by cutting fine rings from different plastic tubes.

DoQQChA_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

A nice resin cockpit would be nice, but cost more than the it did.

Last bit for now.  Wanted something to see down the intakes.  So my less than great solution is a print out of a photo looking down the intakes of an F-4.  These are pasted on to the flat back to the intake inside.  Better than nothing I suppose 

EC8tb7d_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And with the hat done the man body is now closed up.  Next step is a bit of filling, fit the wings & intakes and to not far off paint.

• Like 3

Most time spent fillering and sanding - bit of P38 first then some liquid green stuff until the body and intakes seem fairly sorted.  The wings are just taped on now, and the undercarriage is very roughly blu-taced in place to check stuff, but she is looking the part.  

SUAoPPM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

KpvJkCv_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The cockpit with it cheap bezel enhancement cement looks passable.  Not high quality but budget quality.  Seats are just placed in & not finished yet.

CwYl3EQ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

On 06/01/2018 at 8:53 PM, bar side said:

Extending the collection of 70s/80s USAF in Europe, now consisting of LN (Lakenheath), WR (Woodbridge, Bentwaters) and CR (Soesterberg) tailcodes

FNcDDQh_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

So when are you coming to Cambridgeshire and doing some AR (Alconbury) birds?

6 hours ago, GordonM said:

So when are you coming to Cambridgeshire and doing some AR (Alconbury) birds?

What to choose from? RF-4C would be nice but not any easy kit to get / make.  Aggressor F-5 is an option, or a TR-1.  Any other late 70s / early 80s suggestions?

Alconbury was home to various ‘special’ MC130 Hercs before they moved to the ‘Hall and MH53’s. B66/RB66 Destroyers, Easiest way to get a RF4C is buy a Hasegawa RF4B and do a few simple changes. ’m looking for a Kaimann Husky if I can ever find one!

Edited by GordonM
  • Like 1