Building a HAS

Jag has had its primer coat and some pre-shading

WP_20160903_20_28_03_Pro_zpszbuzmvj4.jpg

And then a quick coat of 2-tone grey. The pic is hard flash under living room lights so pretty harsh, but definitely looks like a two tone grey Jag

WP_20160903_22_35_54_Pro_zpsi8x4ztdx.jpg

The over wing rails have gone with wing fences instead. Much more to be done but coming along

Nice job with the fences. Card or chopped down O/W rails?

Bloomin fast build, well done.

ps - the landing gear should be a light grey I believe... sorry, just thought Id say it now rather than later!

Edited by RMP2

All advice gratefully received - good time to change things as the undercarriage isn't glued in place yet. Fences are chopped down over wing rails & a bit chunky to be honest. Seat isn't done yet & glass is only balances on. Tail & various bits need to go black, chisel nose glass is still waiting to go in. Plenty to do really.

Bit more today - mainly black paint & the undercarriage is now light grey (still looks white in the photo)

WP_20160904_17_21_19_Pro%202_zpsgvodedrz

Cockpit glass & burners are just balanced on, and undercarriage is just blu tac still. Getting nearer to putting on some decals though. Progress may slow now - back to school tomorrow

Dave and me saw this old girl today, remembered your undercarriage (so to speak) and took some pics -

P1110101%20Large.jpg

P1110103%20Large.jpg

P1110104%20Large.jpg

Not too dissimilar from the underside grey really. Ok, its a bit weathered, but still... wouldnt be far off.

• Like 1

Yup. They had a kind of Open Cockpit weekend so popped down and jumped in the Vulcan, MiG-27 and a Jag Gr1 cockpit and had a nosey about. Spit came over and the weather was merciful too. Good day out with good folk down there.

Worth swinging by, only £8.50 to get in and not too big a place to get around. Careful though, they have a shop with kits in that you have to pass through to get in and out... Dave has "a thing" for boxes so I had to pass through quickly, fortunately.

Visited Flixton a week or two back - great place & only ask donations. Will be heading back I am sure but sadly for the current build they don't have a Jag. Nice Hunter / Sea Harrier / Lightning & a lot more though.

Moving the tail on a bit, some progress but not even half way. On the tail that is, not getting on to the rest of the fuselage yet!

Tail_zpstaohn7z5.jpg

• Like 1

To wet to get the whole HAS out today, but the Jag is creeping along. The tail is done & looks ok

WP_20160908_18_45_25_Pro%202_zpsaobyirpy

The rest of the bird is now together but still bits to finish off - airbrakes & canopy not stuck down yet. Load of decals remaining to do but I thought I would sneak a quick pic of it today.

WP_20160910_16_19_12_Pro_zpsthhimpik.jpg

• Like 1

Busy day finishing off the seat & deacling. Many done, some smaller ones still missing - may or may not go on! Then it still needs a coat of clear over it. Plus FOD covers, RBF tags and a ladder. So not really done at all, but the main build seems to be about done. And the weather was better today.

WP_20160911_17_46_44_Pro%202_zpssdvtjwmt

WP_20160911_17_51_27_Pro_zpspb6nctsa.jpg

• Like 3

I particularly like the human factor that makes this feel a little more real. The brace frame is bent at the bottom, as if someone has run into it. Nice touch.

The whole thing gets a bit wrinkled Rich! It lives in my garage all year round in bits with no heating. But as you say things are rarely perfectly straight in real life. Especially at larger scales. The whole door is just strips of cereal box card glued to a piece of old box.

• Like 1

Got the HAS and the Fod covered Jag outside today & took some pics. Hope you like

WP_20160913_17_21_15_Pro_zps4qgk2w4v.jpg

WP_20160913_17_22_38_Pro_zpspsxlstca.jpg

WP_20160913_17_21_36_Pro_zpsqzq1fzjg.jpg

The first two pics and your previous posting are the best and could pass for real !!! Cracking concept and expertly pulled off !!!

Do you take your display around the shows ???

Nige

• Like 2

Cheers Nige, no the HAS doesn't tend to go anywhere. I suspect it would look less impressive in the flesh - I tend to avoid some angles as it has its faults. It also has to pack away in the garage. I don't think my wife has even seen it set up more than a couple of times! If it was permanently set up I would do more to fix the outside up.

• Like 1

With chocks, RBF tags and FOD covers the Jag is almost there.  But it needs a ladder.  Jags have a nice 'hang on the side' ladder but I didn't want to glue one on.  But I found a nice pic of a stand alone ladder, actually on a Tornado, but it looked ok.  So out with the plasticard, paper clips & glue.

WP_20160917_19_59_59_Pro_zps3gmiqtzj.jpg

Please excuse the blu-tac holding the canopy open.  The ladder will hopefully allow 'visiting' aircraft to have a ladder too.

WP_20160917_20_25_10_Pro_zpschsxpmqc.jpg

Only trouble is its still too high for the Hawk - and I can't figure out how to hold a Hawk canopy open without gluing it.  Its a bit heavy & hanging off the side.

Right Jag has gone to RFI section now.  The next one is on the way. Quick rummage through the (not very big) stash came up with a Northrop F-5e.  Now there is a local link - the Alconbury Aggressors.  There is still a plastic F-5 there I think.  Anyway, kit for under a tenner with a missing front screen.  Knocked something up for that & as its an old ECSI kit there are only about 20 parts.  Well, maybe a few more than that but not masses.  Its coming along:

WP_20160924_18_01_49_Pro_zpspdenphrf.jpg

Am going for the 3 tone grey wrap around camo.  Bit of fun really.

Next one arrived today - back to grey / green RAF:

WP_20160924_18_02_10_Pro_zpsyritzeke.jpg

found a nice guide to the build too:

http://harriersig.org.uk/models/

• Like 1

I realised what it is that is making some of your back drop pics a wee bit less compared to the others

Are you able to paste the same image here onto plastic and press it down with a roller to get shot of the bubbles as this pic is the better of the perspective shots that makes your build merge, but the air bubbles give it away !

As you know I love this whole build and following it through so hope you don't mind the  constructive comments ! Looking forward to the Harrier build as it is up there with my top 10 fave aircraft !

Nige

WP_20160824_16_30_25_Pro_zpsguh6tscz.jpg

Cheers Nige - yes, my background has just about had it.  Tried to save it by re-pasting it on to a new board but there are now too many creases.  I found a panorama of Coltishall blast shelters the other day & may make up a new background.  Also, artificial lighting is not a good friend to the background. It generally looks better out in natural light. I would love to get a good panorama of Wattisham or Honington really - must go up to the Wattisham museum & take my camera