Building a HAS

Youll be fine. Theyre not bad, not as great as theyre made out to be, but could be a lot worse. As you say - half the price of the new Revell offering too, or the Heller for that matter. Wont mention the "other" one.

• Like 1

Thought I would put the Hawk in primer in front of the HAS. Tried putting the 1/72 Hawk in for a 'perspective' shot - looks almost passable

WP_20160714_17_56_08_Pro%202_zpsawdwcbay

Quite liking the grey - there is a temptation to paint the tail black & put on the decals. Would go nicely with the 74 Sqn Phantom.

WP_20160714_17_56_52_Pro_zpsq1qteshq.jpg

But grey green camo goes on next after a little pre shading

A bit of taper on the flag stones and the 1/72 would work - the parallel stuff gives it away. But its close, agreed.

What camo/markings will the Jag be? We never see Ecuadorian markings yknow....

Tempted to go Coltishall grey with the box scheme. Never been a fan of the over wing sidewinders but that's how I remember them towards the end. Have a distant fancy for the saint on the tail. A GR1 in grey green is a long term aim but might stay simple with this one - especially as the hawk is going grey green.

Oh man, dont get me started on Jag schemes!

How about an anniversary scheme to break it up a bit? Or a Raspberry Ripple perhaps? Maybe an Omani plane visiting? Loads of options for Jags. :)

As for the Tonka F3 - I never realised until recently, but the Italians used them too, could be a bit different? I always thought they were just an RAF and Saudi thing.

Well the F2 must be a UK only Tonka - with the blue circle radar

There are some nice decal sets out there from Model Alliance, like this one:

$_35.JPG

Not always straight forward to track down, even through Hannants. Some on ebay though

Indeed there are some nice and varied Jag decals out there. I found the MA489016 and 9017 on ebay recently. Theres also the 48122 set which gives a load of options as well as the stencils that they do, but its a bugger to find. Be grateful you didnt want an Indian or Nigerian version... been looking for ages and finally got the sections of MA48138 on their way to me. The MA warning triangles tend to be pants though, as well as some others, its not all good, be warned.

Yes, Ive gone a bit hardcore on Jag decals. :)

Decided what you are going with, scheme and sticker wise? I might have a spare resin Agave nose.....

Still not sure if an £8 set of decals on a £10 kit seems right. But a Colt special would be nice. Anyway won't be breaking the Jag out of the box until after the summer hols - not even likely to be finishing the Hawk of before then if the current rate of work is anything to go by

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a couple of weeks of holiday I am trying to get back in to it. The Hawk has moved on and gained an identity. Its not fully done yet - some decals to go on still and a couple of sidewinders still missing. Its become XX195 of 63 Sqn RAF Brawdy around 1986. Quick pose with the HAS in the sunshine today.

WP_20160812_17_31_19_Pro%202_zpsk9ykk77p

WP_20160812_17_31_45_Pro%202_zpsmyzhdup6

• Like 4

Cheers Okdoky - bit of daylight makes things look a bit more natural. Finish the decals, some wheel chocks, FOD intake covers & rbf on the pitot or and it will look better

Teaser for the next build - Jaguar next

WP_20160818_12_18_33_Pro_zpswzbrb0fw.jpg

Was hoping to get a close up of the Jag cockpit at the Neatishead Radar museum this week but it was out when we got there. Impressive set up and type 85 radar there though - would look huge in 1/48 though!

WP_20160816_13_57_34_Pro_zpsfxqeofnd.jpg

Still finishing off the Hawk at the moment so no more Jag progress before that one finishes.

• Like 1

Actually, got some unexpected time on the Hawk today so decals are done & tried knocking up some quick FOD covers & a rbf cover for the pitot. Think it looks ok. Needs posing on the HAS with chocks & bits next.

WP_20160818_19_33_36_Pro_zpslaicviam.jpg

• Like 2

Not wishing to be too pedantic...but the radar is the Type 84 Long Range Air Defence Surveillance radar, designed and built by Marconi s,

The 60 ton aerial (designed and built by Vickers) and cabin rotated normally at 4 r.p.m....but could be set to scan a smaller sector. Primarily used to control Coltishall's Lightnings....and those from further afield.....and later Wattisham's Phantoms in amongst other things intercepting the regular 'Bear' incursions !

WP_20160816_13_57_34_Pro_zpsfxqeofnd.jpg

How do I know? I maintained and operated it for more years than I like to remember!

Part of the unknown / unloved / unrecognised Royal Air Force..................'They also served.................'

Lovely to see your photo of the old girl!

A model of that would be different....but then again it has no wings or noise generators!

Rex

Edited by emlra
  • Like 2

Cheers Rex, I was getting a guided tour by my uncle who was a Marconi chief engineer. He visited most uk bases but worked on installs in Norway and Cyprus - think we are allowed to talk about that now, official secrets & all that!

I stand corrected as a type 84 then - last one in the UK I believe. I do like ground infrastructure & buildings, hence building the HAS in the first place. However with airfield stuff you can always pose an aircraft next to it. Can't do that with a type 84. Would still look good though.

Okydoky - it would look good, but I haven't really got anywhere to put it. The HAS sits in pieces in the garage most of the time.

Speaking of which, got it out today to pose the Hawk.

WP_20160820_14_50_52_Pro%202_zpsbq6hieor

Just to add something the F4 got some FOD covers too

WP_20160820_14_46_00_Pro%202_zpsblor239r

WP_20160820_14_44_00_Pro%202_zpss4ecsr5n

WP_20160820_14_43_50_Pro%202_zpsfeuuq3jj

And one for RMP - the pod (which I posed upside down!!) and the towed target. No decals on them yet, but they do make cool additions to the scene.

WP_20160820_14_48_29_Pro_zps3qwhfumi.jpg

• Like 3